myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
NE's N'oreaster
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ron.c

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject: NE's N'oreaster Reply with quote

Whats a matter, is everybody too tired to type?

Saturday was a huge day.

Sunday was good, by Mother's day stuff got in the way.

Today was huge but work got in the way.

Tomorrow looks good for a long lunch break at the golf course side of Pleasant Bay.

Bruce bring your gear for the annual spring storm reunion.

RC
speedysailor

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron or Outcast, I was wondering if you experienced the same weather I did today (Monday). This is a different storm than that which passed through Friday and Saturday. I should have joined you then, but I took a trip to Boston. I was tempted to go to Pleasant Bay yesterday, but decided on giving a shot at Waquoit Bay which can be o.k. in N.E. and not a long drive. The forecasts of gusts to 40 scared me off of the Eastern Shore. Pleasant is deeper, bigger and I don't know it as well. However, I notice looking at the archive that you didn't see as strong winds as we had on the southside. As it was, I have never seen winds like I did today. Radical to say the least. Long lulls and quickly building gusts with gusts on top of gusts up into the low 30 m.p.h. range according to the commonwealth's wind meter which is at the most inland point on the Bay. I had to have a big board as anything else would have sunk. However, in the wild gusts it was definitely unmanageable. In addition, once on a plane and in the straps, the power died often. I rigged two sails, and both were too small for half the sailing while they were too big for the other half. This is the same storm that left all sorts of tornado destruction across the country. Swirling from all directions, up and down, it was a real test of endurance. Finally, there hasn't been any rain. What kind of Nor'easter doesn't have rain? A good day for exercise, but not all that much fun. I'll make it down to your neck of the woods some time, but I definitely want steadier winds (like those Epic Days of Yore).

Last edited by speedysailor on Tue May 13, 2008 7:24 am; edited 2 times in total
ron.c

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Mornng to All who are interested:

The sun is up, along with the wind, out of the N-NE.

The plans are in motion for something at mid day.

No Cape Cod Bay plans due to the mid day low tide.

I still the the golf course side of Pleasant Bay is the place to go.

In closing to Bruce and all. Outcast is someone else.

Ron C.
speedysailor

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you ever met him? He sails out there. Please comment on the conditions of your sailing today, ron.
Gerda

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 7:23 am    Post subject: Pleasant Bay Reply with quote

Sorry Ron - can't make it to Pleasant Bay for a while

Although the forecast is tempting non-sailing issues are limiting my normal outings to Pleasant Bay for a while. I really do enjoy Pleasant Bay on NE winds. It is a pretty spot, parking and launch right on the water's edge, shallow water for both inside and outside gybes are forgiving if I do fall in cold weather, and even nice swells where the water pushes into the cove.

If we get another good S or SW I may see you at Kalmus.

Bruce

HBR
loko4wind

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: NE's N'oreaster Reply with quote

ron.c wrote:
Whats a matter, is everybody too tired to type?

Saturday was a huge day.

Sunday was good, by Mother's day stuff got in the way.

Today was huge but work got in the way.

Tomorrow looks good for a long lunch break at the golf course side of Pleasant Bay.

RC

Unfortunately I could not make yesterday but few guys had a blast.
Pleasure Bay Boston Yesterday:

http://www.bostonherald.com/mediacenter/

!!
Dunoyer

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cape Cod Bay is fine at Low Tide, just go to Mayflower or Bayview, instead of Chapin
ron.c

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wasn't pretty but I did it.

Not enough to consider a bonafide session.

11:30 - the wind meter at my house (inland) was easily cranking past 30. I bet it was a solid 30 with gusts to easily to 40.

WTF - the first time I wore a helmet, an old Gyro with no padding to accept my world famous fleece hat. It actually felt pretty good.

Great wind direction, sunny at 53F - Couldn't ask for anything except a 3.2 sail. (137lb with a 4.0)

Only made 5 runs - w/o falling in. The last 2 trips back to shore where bare handed (no harness) and a total 'tail walk" Hung it up after proving to some tourist on the beach that it could be done without losing my front teeth.

The chop was good at a solid 4' in the middle.

For those of you reading these messages there's 2 Bruces on line. Bruce the speedysailor and Bruce under Gerda's heading.

The second one is one tough old buck - He's got more endurance than guys 30 years younger. Get well soon.

RC
speedysailor

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good post Ron. Windsurfing in Pleasant Bay definitely can be a lot of fun when the winds are steadier. As to a helmet, last Thursday my mast landed on my head. If it wasn't the boney side of the skull, I might not be posting today. However, this happened during a long lull when I was trying to waterstart with light gusts. Eventually I had to swim the board to the beach. You're doing rather well if you can sail those winds and not hit the water in four reaches. I was tossed almost immediately by a gust and bruised my forearm. With a lump on the head and a sore forearm, I can't say the last week was the time of my life.
pueno

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seedysailor wrote:
With a lump on the head and a sore forearm, I can't say the last week was the time of my life.

How are the toe and the thumb doing, big guy?

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Neutral
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: