myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
i'm breaking up with berkeley....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LeeD

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey....
Getting stuck out in dying/dead winds is a reality for all hardcore sailors, and several alternatives is always a plus when you're stuck out there with sub 2mph breezes, current or not.
My experencies come from 25 years sailing, over 15 broken masts, that in booms, a handful of bases, at least 5 fins, and over 6 snapped in half boards.
If you can sail it DON'T plane !!!!
Consider waiting for a gust to waterstart or uphaul a board your weight in volume plus 10 kilos, so don't necessarily derig.
Lotsa times, you're spinning with the currents, so sit on board and kick froggy while facing the wrong way, then slide forward tummy down and surf paddle until your board spins thru. Dis keeps you dry while moving about 1.5 mph or so.
Swim and drag/push if you're Mr.Waterman and warm....and the water's tolerable. Ain't much faster than above, but if you're a fish...
Derig when all other hope is lost. Slide extension across rear straps, tie uphaul of boom to rear straps and drag it, slide each part of mast into front straps, consider ditching sail (only item that likes to sink) or lay on it after rolling tightly.
Fin lost? You can maintain across the wind without a fin if the winds hold at planing speeds. Don't plane.
I think I've been rescued about 3 times ever, and easily dragged over 20 windsurfers and rigs in at Crissy in the older daze........
Just think, it's a triathalon....rig and derig, swim paddle, kick, and a good overland carry thrown in to boot.
koogzah

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tswei wrote:
Nothing's worth dying for.

So, then, you don't support our troops. Do I have that right?

tswei

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,

I put it above my harness (i use both seat and waist harnesses depending on sail size) and put a lot of slack in the belt. This keeps it from sliding down and makes it unnoticable in terms of mobility/weight. I just put it on when I am getting dressed and don't really think about it/notice it until I take it off.

t

>>Tony, I got an airwave fanny pack. Do you wear it above or below your harness? (I forget what kind of harness you use, I use a Dakine T3).
tswei

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one more thing,

I'm with Steve on the conditioning routine. I did a alot of low level aerobic work on my bike over the winter and spring and this has made a big difference to my stamina this season. Windsurfing is good for strength, but I find supplementing with some base aerobic activity to be very beneficial. My recovery time is much shorter this season, and it certainly helps during long swims.
chibichibi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey i just got a marine radio. do you all keep it inside your wetsuits (inside an aquapak) or outside in a fanny pack type apparatus. i'm wondering how comfortable it's gonna be inside. the uniden voyager is damn small though.
bludyell

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I carry my radio in the front using a kayaking type pack/inflatable pfd;
makes my man-boobs look fab & keeps the radio protected a bit during crashes.
On the swimming part- i've always made better progress with the sail rigged, doing the one armed swim/drag/kick laying on my back next to the board. Then you can take advantage of any wind that may show up (usually there will be something, anything..).
Came in one night years ago well after dark by catching every little breath of wind to help the swim. Scared the *%$ out of some lovers as I dragged my sorry ass out.........
Only time I derigged I lost just about everything when a gust blew me off, which just made me mad. Plus your balls hurt after sitting on all that junk.

Only if the sail/mast/boom breaks & I can't improvise the rig would I ditch it & ride the board. Necessity is a Mutha of an inventor - there's some creative ways to make something catch the wind & drag you in - flip the boom for one good side, stuff broken mast inside the good half to rig, use uphaul line instead of harness when the hook breaks, etc - always beats de-rigging and swimming IMHO.

Of course you always sail with your bud, but plan on the deaf dumb blind SOB not being there when you break down; you're on your own!
I like the swimming gloves and carry a hood for cheap insurance when in colder places.

Think of it all as a work out with a story to tell & the hours go by better....

I'd love to hear how anyone else has improved after a breakdown ....

Stay upwind!
windoggi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about you guys, but when I get becalmed or break down at Berkeley, I just let the magic talking dolphins carry me in. No big deal.
LeeD

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm one of the "MTD's" you're talking about, mostly on weekends early.....
Don't completely rely on us, as often we're actually working inside, on a side project, getting chewed by the boss, scoping some such, or argueing with an irate windsurfer whom we DIDN'T see breakdown or get lazy out of convenient sight.
Still, RELY ON YOURSELF and be responsible for your own actions!
And consider, the worst summer Berzerkely swim is waaay nicer than and outside the Gate breakdown.
Good swimming, paddling, sculling, kicking or what have you.
MZ's style of paddling sitdown with the top of the mast seems pretty efficient IF you can sit atop your sail and board.
dougclark

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:12 am    Post subject: Beserkeley Reply with quote

I also have mostly non-fond memories of the Berkeley B***H. Seems like she stood all of us up more often than not. BUT - one time she was in a great mood - so long ago I was on a Windsurfer "standard" (maybe it was the summer of '88, and you probably don't what the heck that board was) - hadn't even learned to water start then. I found my way over to the shoal and the tide was just perfect, major chop coming in from the Bay actually breaking about 2 feet over the shoal - those waves were a gas until I got too daring, caught my skeg (ouch) and ate some mud.

I wouldn't go back there unless I was desperate, and only on my longboard.
Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
Page 11 of 11

Jump to: