myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
i'm breaking up with berkeley....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tswei

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:47 pm    Post subject: yeah, that's me Reply with quote

we met on the far side of Isabel last year, and yes, I do seem to have a talent for getting as far from my launch point as possible on sudden shut-off kinda days.

the big lesson for me now that i've been sailing Easy Bay for a few seasons now, is beware of the hot days w/ no marine air. You get big bursts which lull you into taking out small gear and then, WHAM!! Swim time.

BTW, those webbed gloves are neoprene and fold up into nothing.
VinceSF

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Some peace of mind Reply with quote

tswei wrote:
If this had happened at 3rd or TI more than a mile offshore, I would have definitely sacrificed the rig to make it back safe.

Tony, even if you have unlimited funds or you're name is not tony but bill gates, I think derigging and rolling everything onto the board seems to be a better option. Paddling onto the board or pushing the board with this setup is not impossible.

Plus if you have to use option 3 (radio) or be rescued by a private craft, you can easily have them put the gear onboard or taw it in safely.

just my 2euros...

Vincent
tswei

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vince,

At 210 lbs, carrying extra gear on an 80 ltr board would make things much more difficult. Have you ever tried to de-rig everything and paddle back lying on top of it in choppy water?? I have, it ain't easy and on a small board you'd expend alot of energy trying. There are situations in SF bay which would make that risky. Nothing's worth dying for.
beallmd

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What we seem to be learning about BERK here is that not only do you have your choice of two terrible launches, very shady parking lot creatures, cold water with large chop and marginal winds but often offers up a good swim as the final reward! OR dogshit park with similar challenges but that duct tape is a good choice with bleeding thumbs. (this assessment from a guy who sails at Washoe lake-paradise that that place is.) Going to Maui in 11 days -thank god and have had quite a few good days at Herd Ave this year. Hell, it's only gas at 4.50 a gallon now. Sail on, Sail on, Sailor.
windoggi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beallmd wrote:
What we seem to be learning about BERK here is that not only do you have your choice of two terrible launches, very shady parking lot creatures, cold water with large chop and marginal winds but often offers up a good swim as the final reward! OR dogshit park with similar challenges but that duct tape is a good choice with bleeding thumbs. (this assessment from a guy who sails at Washoe lake-paradise that that place is.) Going to Maui in 11 days -thank god and have had quite a few good days at Herd Ave this year. Hell, it's only gas at 4.50 a gallon now. Sail on, Sail on, Sailor.

enjoy your flight outta here.

windsrf

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony,

I ordered hand-fins from Speedo (cheaper than your suggestion due to coupon), so thanks for that great advice. Next time I may be able to keep up a bit better!

I think that if you are well/warmly dressed as I was that day, and water/chop/currents are relatively benign, dog-paddling while towing gear is MUCH easier than derigging and trying to lie on board to paddle back with stuff stashed as they taught us. With smaller boards it is indeed a challenge to remain on top. That's what I experienced at Cabo Pulmo, and I didn't even have my sail, just mast/boom to deal with. Then, if you add hand fins and maybe small surf foot-fins, should be really easy. Again, I've not had thermal problems during non-winter swimming at Berkeley even up to two hours.

OTOH, I would definitely approach situation differently at 3rd, Crissy, and similar venues.

Also, to reply to Beallmd, I don't find launch at His Lord's that challenging. Just walk down the rocks carefully/slowly and consider taking board separate from sail. Then you are right at the normal wind line and away you go. Also, never any problems with folks on shore, or dogs, etc - and that's with at least a decade launching there.

See you out there again soon I trust.

David
tswei

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,

Congrats on joining the Frog-men. Actually I have to give credit for that idea to a guy I met at Crissy years ago after we both had a long swim in.

It's not so much about getting back quickly, or how to handle your gear, it's really about staying warm. Whether that means trying to call for rescue or swimming in, I think you have to make a good judgement based on all the variables. Breakdowns or wind drops aren't the enemy per se, it's hypothermia.

I'm especially sensitive to this after a resuce I did where I towed in a guy off 3rd from the middle of the channel. Took about an hour, he had no board so he was in the water. Despite a full suit, he was blue when we climbed ashore around the Oracle buildings. And 3rd is a helluva lot warmer than Cirssy or TI.
windsrf

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All excellent points. Plus, as I found in CP, hypothermia can occur even when nice and sunny and semi-tropical.

David
jse

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a novel idea. How about doing a regular swim progam? With me, unless I know I will be sailing in 4.0 conditions, I swim laps every day. So when I end up having to swim when the wind shuts off, I'm somewhat prepared. Of course, there are limits, like swimming against a 4 kt. flood or ebb at Crissy. That's why I use discretion (as I did this Tuesday) and not go out late when the wind line is receding. And I always carry my radio at Crissy, 3rd and TI. I will look into those gloves tho.

Tony, I got an airwave fanny pack. Do you wear it above or below your harness? (I forget what kind of harness you use, I use a Dakine T3).

Steve
windsrf

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, swimming at Berkeley is not something I'd plan to do routinely, even with reasonably healthy immune system. Crissy is certainly cleaner though.
David
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 10 of 11

Jump to: