myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Durabilty in sails, best vs worst brands,consumer reports...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boggsman1

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My two cents. Northwave is a dream. Ive sailed EZZY and HS Super freak and the differences are big. The HS is nice and well balanced, but lacks low end power. The EZZY is bulletproof , but feels heavy and dead , compared to the Northwave.
The Northwave ZX is the best of all worlds, light, ultra-low end power , and great looking! BY FAR the best sail Ive ever touched, and I wont even get into all the monofilm sails.

Boggsman
bil7y

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject: Durable Reply with quote

AEROTECH. Ezzy and AeroTech are the definite leaders. Dacron breaks down and stretches more than the x ply. KA uses to much film. Good sails but I have to give the nod to Aerotech. Ezzy sails are killer but sort of a limited range of choices. Aerotech has a broader line and they perform excellent with superior durabilty.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Durable Reply with quote

[quote="bil7y"]AEROTECH. Ezzy and AeroTech are the definite leaders. /quote]

Many thousands of fans of other brands disagree. Not disparaging your faves, just pointing out that your opinion is exactly what it is ... your opinion. And we don't even know what brands you have owned.

bil7y wrote:
Dacron breaks down and stretches more than the x ply.

Correct. Its stretch is part of the reason Northwave offers it in their ZXL: we rig the sail with a tighter leech than with most monofilm (including scrim) sails such as their non-dacron ZX, taking advantage of the stretch to achieve proper sail twist. It's also lighter on the scale and on the water. The ZX is a great sail; the ZXL is a very noticeable improvement over it. Northwave tells buyers up front that the dacron will stretch out within a few years, but they can replace it quite inexpensively. The superior performance is worth the risk of having to replace some dacron to those of us who have ridden both. One friend's new ZXL quiver covers all his Gorge sailing -- and he sails here 12 months out of the year -- with three sails: 3.2, 4.2, and 5.2. He re-rigs less often and planes more often than any of us. BTW ... the sails he replaced were also Northwaves ... 1995s.

\m/
jimwilkins

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should add that any info related to the topic in cambered sails would help as well. If I could even be direct in asking what cambered sails really have a bigger wind range and are they actually more efficent in lift?
swchandler

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jim,

I should point out that Hansen Slalom sails are 3-4 fixed camber sails depending on their size, and the FreeRaces can be rigged with 1, 2 or 3 cambers, or with none at all. The Freeraces are designed be rigged in a way that suits your style with varied cambered support, and that make them very unique in the market. Frankly, I like no cambers at all, but other practical choices are possible based on your preferences. Wave sails are RAF sails without cambers.

Earlier, I failed to point out the Formula sails are offered too. If you're interested, take a look, I think that you'll agree that the formula sails are trick and capable with anything on the market. I'm sure that many SF Bay area sailors would agree, to include others around the world.
jpf18

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sailing recent year's Aerotech's mostly. Remarkably solid in my experience. You should see my 05 Rapidfire and hear associated stories of abuse. Still intact and strong (except for some mast sleeve wear due to inproper batten replacement; my fault). Not enough mileage on Ezzy's to tell.

North sucks in a big way; had a few in mid-early 2000's. I'll never go back although they're great on the water.

With any brand... stay away from the "budget" lines and pre-production sails. They somehow make it into circulation and I have seen them either not built to standard or nicked when shipped as singles from China or whereever.
jpf18

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimwilkins wrote:
I should add that any info related to the topic in cambered sails would help as well. If I could even be direct in asking what cambered sails really have a bigger wind range and are they actually more efficent in lift?
6.0 and smaller you don't find much cam'ed sails; they maintain a nice shape on the water. There's some specialized slalom race sails with cams in the smaller sizes. If you have to ask... you probably don't want one of those.

Big sails 9.0 and up, there's no question in my mind the preference is with camed sails. In fact i could only point at the Aerotech Zenith from the top of my head that's no cam in that size and I have to say it doesn't work especially well. It's One Design so it's the same for all Kona racers (plus alu boom) but that aside... cam's the way to go.

Tough call between 6.5 and 8.5. Try before you buy. Yes wind range is bigger with cammed sails on the high (they stay stable when powered) but you need a board that handles chop well in order to be able to sail super overpowered. On the low end... I've got a 6.8 no-cam wave sail designed for tracktor pull and planes up way earlier than a comparable 7.0 cammed sail which does not have nearly as much low end.
theq

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got to agree with the Ezzy supporters here. Sailing amidst the jagged-toothed rocks at Leo Carillo, a place with no good rigging area, our sails and feet are subjected to major abuse. I've sailed Norths, Neilpryde, and Ezzy. My Norths were the best in terms of raw power. Neilpryde carried the day in handling. Ezzy takes the durability award, hands down. If anything the weight factor is the only dinger against Ezzy. However, as another poster mentioned, they never feel heavy on the water, and that's really what counts. Now if we only get Ezzy to make booties to save our feet.....
I've always wanted to try out an Aerotech, and occasionally look for them when I'm in the market. However, we don't really see much of them here on the West Coast. My .0129 Euros.
coachg

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't use Ezzy sails and I probably never will. I have sailed them many times though and I also think they are the most durable sails made. But I also feel they are too heavy form me- not sailing over reefs or sharp rocks. Are they heavy on the water? Yes, because I've rarely seen a sailor not fall in. Water starting an Ezzy 7 meter was way heavier than waterstarting my 10 meter formula sail. I also feel the weight with Ezzy sails doing light wind freestyle sail handling. But if durability is what you want I think they are the way to go.

Coachg
lindseyl

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Maui there is almost universal agreement that the Hot Sails Maui Superfreaks are the most durable sails on the planet. They are also the number one sail with Maui locals. It's a given that they are the lightest and most maneuverable wave sail on the market

As far as the low end power of the Superfreaks, they do have tons of low end power if you rig them for power. Unlike almost all other modern sails, which have the draft locked in by the way the sail is cut, the Superfreaks' draft can be increased radically by releasing outhaul beyond what is considered "normal".

When most people try the Superfreaks they are blown away by how they feel so much more light and responsive than other sails and switch over to Freaks as fast as they can, but occasionally people who try the Freaks say that don't understand what all the fuss is about-why they have such a huge following of sailors who think that they are by far the best wave sails ever made. This may be partly due to the different feel of the sails-how they power up gradually, but most of the time I think it is simply because people rig them wrong. I have even seen long time Superfreak owners rig them too flat.

Try the sails, in my experience nothing even comes close.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: