myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
NE Forecast
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ron.c

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: NE Forecast Reply with quote

Don't know if first post went through.

Sat NW 20-30 - CC Bay HT @ 10:15am - Anticipated Start Time 7:00am

All are invited to Skaket Beach - The drive is not that bad - It is easier off the highway than Chapin.

RC
nhsurf

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: Saturday Reply with quote

I'm going to be down on the lower cape with my friend and our families this weekend. I won't be able to make it out that early on Saturday, but how would Corporation work out around noon time and later? Would Skaket would be a hike about 3-4 hours after high tide?

Thanks,
Chris
ron.c

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done it before.

It starts to be a pain in the neck at 2 hours either side of low tide.

Mayflower (per the reports) is less tide dependant.

Sunday's looking promising too.

RC
speedysailor

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ron.c wrote:
I've done it before.

It starts to be a pain in the neck at 2 hours either side of low tide.

Mayflower (per the reports) is less tide dependant.

Sunday's looking promising too.

RC
Don't believe all the reports you read. I was over at Mayflower a few weeks ago. First of all you have to rig in the dirt parking lot, second you have to carry your rig and board along a short section of road through the big shoreside dune and then it will be a haul at low tide to water deep enough for sailing. As to Saturday, NOAA forecast that the NWesterlies will be turning to the SW in the afternoon. Any confirmations?
scooper

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris,

For future reference- Chapin has a 15 minute walk to the water at low tide. Mayflower is about half of that, or less, so a lot of people go there at low tide. Corporation has an even shorter walk than Mayflower and is good in NW.

The forecasts I'm looking at say that the winds are likely to go to the W or SW in the afternoon, although it seems to depend on the timing of the front.

speedysailor

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scooper wrote:
Chris,

For future reference- Chapin has a 15 minute walk to the water at low tide. Mayflower is about half of that, or less, so a lot of people go there at low tide. Corporation has an even shorter walk than Mayflower and is good in NW.

The forecasts I'm looking at say that the winds are likely to go to the W or SW in the afternoon, although it seems to depend on the timing of the front.
How can you state that? 15 minutes? Are you talking about carrying equipment and walking or just walking? Carrying a sail in windy conditions will change any walk. Then again, you have to consider how heavy your board might be. I sailed that semi-private beach that lies in between Mayflower and Chapin once with a poly board and got stuck at low tide at the end of my session. Talk about exhaustion!!! Someday I'm going to find Corporation. At the time I thought I was there. Is the route signed? Considering the expense of driving and co-ordinating your session with the tide table, even when you live in Falmouth, you don't go to the North Shore of the Cape often. Chappy can be good in a N.W. The local tower readings are giving me
Wind Speed: 21.166 mph
Gust: 30.297 mph
Direction: NNW (350 degrees)
and air temperatures in the mid 40's F. with rain. How inviting.
scooper

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's 15 minutes at walking speed. I did it in April. A few of us kept sailing as the tide went out and then had to make the walk at the end of the session. It took me 45 minutes because I made 1 1/2 trips. I was too tired to carry my board and sail in 1 trip.
ron.c

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the impression that Scopper and Bruce didn't get it today (noting the typing times)

A rare event happened today. Advertising for my local beach paid off. Brian from Scituate made the trip.

Strong 5.0 dead on shore, high tide and rain did not produce post card conditions. When the rain topped, so did the wind.

I appreciate the company, and I'll be sure to give you, and all, a heads up on any good to epic conditions.

RC
Dunoyer

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, normally, I would have caught the sesh this morning, but the freezing cold and rain was putting me off. I've had a good string of sessions this Spring, but now I need it a little warmer. I thought tomorrow was going to blow, but the forecasters have all backed off big time... My fingers and toes have had enough of being numb. Maybe it's also that I was watching a Frontline last night about 5 climbers freezing to death in high winds on Everest....
speedysailor

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 5:57 am    Post subject: Get what? Reply with quote

What didn't I get? Yesterday afternoon, I spent 4 or 5 hours on the water. Check out the wind archive for West Falmouth. http://www.iwindsurf.com/windandwhere.iws?regionID=102&siteID=80&days=1&Isection=Wind+Yesterday
As I had mentioned earlier in the thread, the wind turned to the SW in the afternoon and gave us some good windspeed. I had a 9.6 up, and it was certainly a challenge to my aging strength. Today, I'm a bit sunburned, too. However, it's only the badge of a great day outdoors. Although the water was still cold, the air temperatures were wonderfully warm.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: