myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Looking for Corpus Winsdurfers from 88-93

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mwood5

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 8:59 am    Post subject: Looking for Corpus Winsdurfers from 88-93 Reply with quote

I lived in Corpus during these years and sailed just about every day. I also worked at one of the shops in town. I knew a lot of folks and would like to track down everyone to see what they're all doing. Mainly to find out who's still sailing.
I think Eliot is in hawaii kitesailing. Other than that...I don't know.....Jocko, Stevo, Grant, Gonzoweeze......
Also the folks that lived other places but spent a lot of time there....Andy from Germany, Erik from Strong Island.....

later,

Mike Wood
crpadm

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 11:13 am    Post subject: Still around? Reply with quote

I live in CCTX, having moved in the late 90's.Was one of the commode.s for the club. People are still sailing here. Few of the names sound familiar. CC still has it's alure. Recent Sailing developements include a new set of jetties bounding the Packery. A real real inlet no less. Surf sailing is back with a few 'regulars'. It's really a good launch and jetties make for some decent waves. We have a new 'commercial' launch onto the Laguna in Flour Bluff, a fee is charged but, hey, real grass rigging area, running water, and some of the best speed sailing around. Bay remains popular, I sail near my house at Poenisch.
As for the legends of CCTX Sailing? Did you sail the day they shot the beach scenes for Legend of Billy Jean? Some of those Legends still own a board.

Chip

Poenisch-in-Spring.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  124.16 KB
 Viewed:  6556 Time(s)

Poenisch-in-Spring.gif

amarie

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to post on corpuschristiwindsurfing.com/forum. I don't think a lot of people here check iwindsurf but that's the local club's forum.
mwood5

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha...Billie Jean was early 80s...I wasn't there yet. Had a few friends that had cameos though...totally forgot about that until now.
I was there for the first ProAm...the year that Robbie Nash and all the other hotshots in the sport came in and it blew 30+ knots every day. I remember they weren't used to racing in real wind and were getting slammed pretty bad. Remember, that's when they were all sailing courses on long boards.
The Wataburger Cup (was that the name)? They were sponsering the monthly windsurfing club events. Even the Mistral Worlds over at North Beach. There were tons of world class events there and really great sailing. A lot of guys did spring in CC and moved to the Gorge in Winter.
I sailed mainly cole park and ropes in the spring. North Beach in the fall was fun when the wind was right. The only decent wave sailing was down at Boca Chica when a storm came in. Man, that was great.
I'll post on their site to see if anyone's still around.

later,

m
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: