myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Best windsurfing in south orange county?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: Best windsurfing in south orange county? Reply with quote

I need to be in the o.c. Wednesday and Thursday, and it looks like small craft advisories for inner waters on Wed. Where is the best spot?
dabull1

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wind does not blow in So OC...Your choice is Mexico or Leo, sorry. Give Clark Merrit a call as I believe he lives somewhere in OC. Bull
coolmtnbiker048

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always wondered about S. Orange County, so I headed to Dana Point on a "Small Craft Advisory" day and got skunked while North OC was cranking at 30 knots. But I heard from a kiter that Aliso, Trestles, San O, Salt Creek can get good. If you want reliable wind, you will have to head north of Newport like Huntington or Sunset.
cbknap

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just drive north a little to Seal Beach, the northernmost beach in OC at the San Gabriel River mouth. An excellent spot on any cool, windy day. (Exit the 405 N. at Seal Beach Blvd; go south to PCH, north to 1st, and left to the beach.) Typical sail sizes are 5.2 to 5.8 on a windy day and 6.3 to 7.5 on a regular day.

If you are a hard-core surf-sailor Sunset Beach is good, but there is a lot of side-shore current and it is not for beginners (or even intermediates).
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I recall near Seal Beach pier is ok, but what about Huntington? Are the LGs ok with it? What are directions/best spot there?
coolmtnbiker048

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenbard wrote:
As I recall near Seal Beach pier is ok, but what about Huntington? Are the LGs ok with it? What are directions/best spot there?

Seal Beach is fun too but small waves and mild conditions. HB lifeguards are cool no worries. Wind is side-on with more on than side. Launch as far north of the pier as you feel comfortable to avoid being swept under. Wednesday seems like good potential for sick conditions http://www.windfinder.com/forecast/huntington_beach If the wind is too light, drive 3 miles north to Sunset Beach. Remember to bring a floaty waveboard with a bigger fin cuz it can be hard to get out with the current. PM me if u have any questions
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for info CoolM and others. Now the only problem I'll have is telling my wife I'm sailing that day.
cbknap

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best policy is don't ask; don't tell.
D-wo

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

South Orange County can have waves and wind, but it is extremely fickle and probably not worth the effort. If the wind is good that day, you might consider River Jetties in Newport - a good spot, with nice backside waveriding, when it works. Huntington has good surf as well. Sunset is more of a wave/slalom spot, mostly slalom except for when there is big norwesterlies and then it gets some heavy surf. Seal Beach is pretty much a slalom spot, with some junky waves inside the jetty (and super polluted water).

If you are driving from the south you can check out the spots as you go north. Typically River Jetties blows the latest and Seal the earliest. If you are staying down south and it looks windy (and you can't go too far from the roost) try Capo Beach(just south of Doheny). On the rare occasions it works it is quite fun. This would be the time of year if it were to happen.
kevinkan

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crappy pic of sunset beach 12/27/06

was super windy that day... I was on a 4.2

sunsetbeach.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  163.34 KB
 Viewed:  11232 Time(s)

sunsetbeach.JPG

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: