myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Where to buy wetsuit in Los Angeles?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lutehowland

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 12:43 pm    Post subject: Where to buy wetsuit in Los Angeles? Reply with quote

What's a good place to buy a new wetsuit in L.A.? I haven't bought one in a LONG time and want to try different kinds of suits so selection is more important than price.
Who has the most inventory/selection?
I don't get cold easy and don't spend much time in the water, so blocking the windchill and getting in/out of the suit is more important than warmth in the water. I definitely want a suit with a zipper. I'm thinking of combining the suit with some sort of a vest so I don't have to get extra suit for the winter.
Any recommendations? Are kiting wetsuits different?
How much can I expect to pay for a good suit?
jp5

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any surf shop has a variety of suits to choose from. I prefer O'Neils and only paid $99 for a 3/2 full suit. I don't know where in L.A. you are but if you ever get down to Malibu then try Becker surf shop.
lutehowland

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But, do surf suits give enough protection against wind chill?
jp5

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on the suit yes. My $99 suit works best for warmer weather, I wore it last night at County Line while surfing and felt a bit of a wind chill after 40 minutes.

I use a 4/3 O'Neil, also a surf suit, that I paid $250 for in the winter. All the seams are sealed with tape so it is very warm (sometimes too warm) and does provide protection from wind chill. If you have little body fat I'd go for a better suit. I have some built in insulation so I can get away with a cheaper suit most of the time.
gregorvass

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neilpryde Maui!

No sales tax and free shipping!!!

http://www.neilprydemaui.com/category.php?id=11

Ask for Kevin, Darby or anywho.
lutehowland

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love np maui, but I'd like to try suit before buying. I don't want to try the suit on locally and then order online.
Even though my body fat gives me warmth, I don't mind spending extra money to get thinner, more comfortable suit... I don't mind being cold in the water, but I want to make sure the wind doesn't chill me too much.
MikeUzi

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Horizons West in Santa Monica is my store of choice. I find windsurfing is way warmer than surfing, so a surf wetsuit does the trick.
letwink

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pro motion makes wetsuits specifically designed for surf, wind/kitesurf, and triathalon. These are high quality suits that cost a little bit more but are definately worth it.

www.wetsuit.com

They have a sizing chart, a lot of variety on sizes, and some stuff on sale too.
deanovista

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with your concern of trying before buying in wetsuits. I would go to some of the local shops. Give them a call to save gas to see if they have an asortment of the size you are.

I would give Captain Kirks a yell in San Pedro. I am not related to his business in any way other than I know him from Baja, have been in his store and bought several items from there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: