myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
ARCHIVE: Where We Sailed Today, Thread Part I.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 409, 410, 411 ... 425, 426, 427  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windward1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:47 am    Post subject: Harness Mishaps Reply with quote

Hi dsgrntlxmply,

Since you were there to post, I have to assume you survived your mishap with the falling in still hooked in to the harness. So however you got yourself unhooked in each of the various mishaps, just learn to do it faster. I assume your harness has a quick release set-up. Mine does, but I have never used it. Always managed to get unhooked without having to take the harness off.

The mishap that I find aggravating is when jibing, as I flip the sail, the harness line reaches down and re-hooks in, and so not only does the sail flip, I do too, and end up in the water still hooked in. Grrrrrr. Comes from not squatting down enough and looking under the booms during the jibe as, I think it is, Tyson Poor suggests.

Windward1
sailtildark

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:59 am    Post subject: take off your life jacket Reply with quote

The life jacket you have on is going to make it more difficult to hook in/unhook. Since the entire reach is only ass-high water at best, you might want to try a few runs without it an see if that makes it any easier.
windward1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:07 pm    Post subject: Natural Bridges on Sunday Reply with quote

Well we had one (1) windsurfer out at one time at Natural Bridges today. Everything from 7.0 to 7.0. Looked fairly empty after yesterday. One other windsurfer showed up, but did not go out. It was a bit light for small gear.

Good to be out. I was planing most of the time. Hit 23.7 mph on my gps even though the wind was rarely much over 16 mph. Had a little help from what little swell there was.
mrchocky

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:09 pm    Post subject: Stuck under sail Reply with quote

Yeah, I had an incident on Saturday after a big day at Berkeley. Ended up under the sail with harness hooked up still, after messing up on the wind transition line.

It was only a few seconds, but it was scary enough, and I certainly couldn't breathe. Took a moment, cleared the harness, and then scrambled out of the sail.

Realistically, I had plenty of time, really wasn't out of breath, and it turned out it was only 5 feet of water. Still, it was enough that I decided to skip Sunday until I forget about it.

Gotta practice more, I guess.
windyjones

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chocky, don't know what size sail you use but when that happens next dont panic and just reach for the mast and pull your head over that way...as long as your sail is not too big you can generally clear the mast and get your head above water while still hooked in.
pdow

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:50 pm    Post subject: Wednesday - Pt. Isabel Reply with quote

On the water around 2PM. A few holes but 5.7 felt great. Wind tightened up around 3PM and the 5.7 was really dialed in. Only one other sailor out and no one in the parking lot when I left around 4PM. Great first day.
EBaySwell

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:14 pm    Post subject: Pt. Isabel Reply with quote

yes, Point Isabel after work for me, 4:45-6:00. I was sailing solo, good wind, direction was a little more westerly than usual, little ramps on starboard, mini-slashers on port. Not bad for a stop on the way home from work Wink Good times.
Jorionw96

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sherman went off this evening. Warm with super steady wind.
PAmuddog

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PA went OFF today!

I was expecting a day of rest but when I saw 22g26 at 2:30 I filled my cooler with a couple of brewskis and hit the road.

It turned out to be an awesome 5.0 session with a couple of stars doing their stuff.

Some Wylde dude that usually shows up when turd is SW beat me to the launch. But he finally got a taste of the PA deep water channel (to my surprise) and put on a show. Ask him!

Then that Sunset Sailboards dude showed up and got his first taste of "mud sailing". He was a bit shy at the start but hit the mud with gusto and giggles as he got his mudders working. Ask him!

I really need to take a break tomorrow…………..really..........I do. Laughing
kevinkan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was seriously giggling like a school girl sailing through the mud... one of the neatest sensations I've ever felt on a sailboard. what a great day.
https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 409, 410, 411 ... 425, 426, 427  Next
Page 410 of 427

Jump to: