myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Any good lake sailing in PA,DE, or NJ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
www.NjWind.info

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:05 pm    Post subject: Any good lake sailing in PA,DE, or NJ? Reply with quote

I know that the ocean/bay waters are always preferred but aren't there some great lake sights around the tristate area? Especially during this time a year it gets a lot windier and for some of us who do not live close to the shore, it would be great to find some great lakes nearby.

I know of Nockamixon can get pretty good but never see anybody out there? Does anybody still windsurf?

http://www.njwind.info
firecrackerbob

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear people are still out on Nockamixon, but havent been up there a for a while myself. I learned out on marsh creek state park out past Exton. havent been up there in a while eiether, but I would imagine people still head out. thats probably your best bet.

I live in DE now, so I just go to the Dewey bay. I also hear people still winsurf gunpowder near baltimore, but I would rather go to Dewey myself.

Good luck!
bred2shred

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I haven't been up to Nockamixon yet this year, I know there is a dedicated group of windsurfers that sail there on a regular basis. Nockamixon catches a lot of flack for not having good wind, but this is not the case, you just need to know what to expect. Usually good consistant winds on SouthWest. West can be a little gusty. NorthWest is the direction that most people have trouble with since it's gusty and offshore. Best bet is to bring a wide board and you'll have a good sesh.

sm
ride-no-work

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sailed NOX last Sat. the 17th, it was SW, started on a 6.5 and went to a 6.2, close gap but it does make a difference, most people where on 5.8. Typical SW day with a little more west. Most times people sail 8.0 on up with 130L boards. Formula is the norm.
www.NjWind.info

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So southwest is what works. Where to check for wind? Iwindsurf? Philly weather?
ride-no-work

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.NjWind.info wrote:

For lake sailing I always check Iwindsurf and compare it to Accuweather online. There is another site that is called Intellicast, this can give a indication of how strong the wind can be and what direction. Then I look at the Marine Forecast and see what they are calling. If they say SW turning West, especially in the Fall there could be a window of good SW wind. It is allot of work but can payoff in drive time.
Gerda

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:26 am    Post subject: Spruce Run and Round Valley Reply with quote

Years ago (20+) Spruce Run reservoir in NJ was very popular for windsurfing with easily 50 or more boards on the water on a weekend. The spot was family friendly with nice grass rigging area, parking, nice restrooms, and overnight camping, and a friendly launch area, etc. The New Jersey Windsurfing Association use to hold one of its 7 or 8 yearly races at Spruce Run.

http://www.stateparks.com/spruce_run.html

On the down side was the fact that if the winds exceeded some maximum (about 25 mph I believe) all boats were expected to return to shore.

At the time there even was a windsurfing shop located a couple of miles from the launch.

Less popular was Round Valley - the launch there was designed for trailers to launch small fishing crafts and was a bit difficult to get out into the better winds.

http://www.stateparks.com/round_valley.html

Also, we used to camp and sail and windsurf from a spot on the north shore of Swartswood Lake in northern NJ..

http://www.njskylands.com/tnswarts.htm

All of these spots are worth a visit but you have to expect "lake sailing" conditions with often puffy winds which sometimes have you sailing in circles. But if you combine windsurfing during your outing with camping, fishing, hiking, boating you can expect a pleasant experience.

HBR
geohaye

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iWindsurf shows a dozen wind sensors that are helpful for these lakes. iWindsurf's Philadelphia region includes most of the great ones mentioned on this thread:

MARSH CREEK
iWindsurf (yellow) wind reading, right at the lake. Also a couple others nearby.

LAKE NOCKAMIXON
iWindsurf (yellow) wind reading, right at the lake. Also a few other wind reports not too far away.

SPRUCE RUN RESERVOIR
Red forecast flag is directly northeast of the Lk Nockamixon wind sensor on this map. SEE the High Bridge wind sensor quite near to the lake.

http://www.iwindsurf.com/windandwhere.iws?regionID=2225&is_beta=true

NOX.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  582.34 KB
 Viewed:  17551 Time(s)

NOX.png

Marsh.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  508.39 KB

Marsh.png

iW Philly.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  189.29 KB

iW Philly.png

bred2shred

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

For Nockamixon, Southwest is generally the steadiest wind direction because 1) it is comming straight down the lake and 2) it is a direction generally associated with steady pre-frontal wind (as opposed to gusty post-frontal winds, West & NorthWest).

West and NorthWest still work and I believe people even sail there on NorthEast as well as other directions.

The biggest issue with sailing Nockamixon is that you have to be prepared for what type of sailing you'll be doing. This is not coastal sailing, but it can still be extremely fun. If you're a planing sailor, and you hope to get out on a 6.0 or smaller, your very unlikely to get going at any time other than late fall or early spring. If you're open to riding an 80 to 100cm wide board with a sail in the 7.5 to 11.0 range, you can have many very fun days, even in the heart of summer.

sm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: