myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Lake Tahoe Windsurf this weekend?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
salty-skin

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 1:06 pm    Post subject: Lake Tahoe Windsurf this weekend? Reply with quote

Any spots on north shore that might be good for windsurfing this weekend? If I 'm headed up there - is it worth dragging all that gear up there to try sailing the big lake? Or perhaps Donner?
coolmtnbiker048

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have sailed the lake every summer since 2001- mostly on longboards. I think it is definitely worth taking stuff along. The water is so clear and clean which makes up for the lack of wind. Last year I sailed the lake with a 7.5 race sail and 111 Liter Starboard Carve, and planed 4 out of 5 days. The best launch is Lake Forest on the North Shore (near the Coast Guard Station). Good LUck!
carl

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The water in Tahoe and Donner is really really cold in May/June so keep that in mind and bring your warmest wetsuit/drysuit.
Lots of locals sail Washoe lake in Nevada. Iwindsurf even has a sensor there. Check "local info" when viewing the graph and you'll find launch info.
salty-skin

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the tips, if I bring the board I'll bring the big one!
edalunan

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've sailed donner lake on rented gear from the tahoe donner rec center and I got to plane several times on a gust otherwise i was practicing backwinding and varies other tricks.
beallmd

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this keeps coming up. The answer is simple; Drive over Mt Rose Pass and down to Washoe Lake, North boat ramp; we are friendly natives and with the warm up, the late afternoon thermals should be back this weekend. Often gusty, but winds in the 18 to 22 mph average are common. Most common sail size depending on your weight would be from 5.0 to 6.5. either a shorty or light full suit should be fine. A hint; look at the slide mountain wind for a read on the later winds; http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/rev/prodreq.php?wfo=rev&sid=nv&pil=rwr&pvnum=11
dfthrash

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beallmd - good advice and thanks for the wind link.

I have lived on the North Shore (Tahoe, nor Oahu or Maui!) and worked in Truckee for 25 years and have sailed when I can most of that time. Donner can be good on a west day but timing is critical. Rig and launch from the picnic area at Donner State Park at the east end or Shoreline Park along the north side for wider reaches. Check Truckee aviation weather at 530.587.4599 and listen for the wind and the trend. Boca, just east of Truckee, can be good on a south day. Both are gusty with holes so lower your expectations and rig big as you can't really get overpowered. I've had some great days over the years but you can't "plan" on wind like Sherman or the Bay. Tahoe - ?? Very unpredictable. The two main launches are Lake Forest (shallow this year so be careful) and Kings Beach at the North Tahoe Beach Park park, at the intersection of 28/267. I have heard KB is best on east wind days, which tend to occur in late summer and fall, but haven't tried that yet.

Washoe can be good as beallmd and others point out but prepared for muddy water. Your monofilm sails will never look the same.

We were out on Tahoe Wednesday night for a sailboat race and the water was 42F. Donner is only slightly warmer now, although it can warm quickly. This time of year Washoe will be a lot warmer and safer.
thirsty

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject: stampede reservoir is very nice Reply with quote

Stampede Reservoir just north of Tahoe is a beautiful place to sail. I've only been there for a weekend and the wind was pretty good - the locals told me that it is usually windier than Tahoe but still nothing like the Delta or the Bay. A bigger board would definitely be the call. Still, one of the days I was the was 20-25, and even if it's not that windy it is still an awesome place to be.
mpnv

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:04 am    Post subject: Today at washoe Reply with quote

Solid 5.5-5.8 day at Washoe today. All you had to do was sail upwind of the launch to stay in the windline. . Just like Jeff had pointed out in his earlier post, the winds were up early (gusting to 35)on the Slide Mtn NWS remote sensor this AM pretty much predicting good winds later on Washoe.

Could be better tomorrow if it warms up enough to get some thermal push.
-Mike
spanker_jeep

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I was going to say on the north shore/Kings Beach.
Also try this little camp-site beach outside Tahoe City. A 120 liter board and a 7.0 or 6.5 is all you should bring.

Tahoe will surprise you. It does get wind.

Donner for sure, later in the summer.

Bill
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: