myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
The smallest things...
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
timwnitram

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 1:14 pm    Post subject: The smallest things... Reply with quote

So I got new booties 'cuz my toes were peeking out of the old ones. It's amazing how just the tiniest things can mess you up, like BOOTIES!! The soles are just a bit thicker and stickier then my last ones. So I hop on the board, try to stick my feet in the straps and barely get a toe in, then I go to gybe and pull my feet out and my feet won't come (even after loosening the straps) because of the sticky soles and splash! over I go.

It's amazing though how just little changes to all this gear we use can make or break a session, new sail, new boom... whatever, makes your session just a little wonky.
chibichibi

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what booties did you get? i am having a similar problem with the new neil pryde booties. they stick too well once in the footstrap. they also made my toes numb at Crissy because of cramped tightness up front.
johnl

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had very good luck with the Oneil split toe booties. I use the standard booties for most sailing, then the tropical ones for, well, the tropics, and summer sailing in a shortie.

BUT I've learned over the years to prep my turns and make sure my feet aren't too tight before starting the jibe.....
jse

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's always the possibility of sailing without. It's a personal matter.

Steve
victor

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have sticking problems with booties that have the grippy stuff on the sides. they are probabaly designed for surfing.

i have a pair of prolimit booties that have smooth sides. unfortunately the soles are also smooth.
timwnitram

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinkin' of gettin' out the ol' power sander and taking some the ridges off. I won't go to town on them, just take a little of the "newness" out of 'em.
jse

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

timwnitram wrote:
I was thinkin' of gettin' out the ol' power sander and taking some the ridges off. I won't go to town on them, just take a little of the "newness" out of 'em.

Funny thing is, by the middle of summer, I routinely go over my feet with a dremel to take off some of the hoof material that starts to form.

Steve
cbknap

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a bootie-nerd myself.

It's not worth breaking your little toe when you kick for the strap during a 30-mph planing jibe....or the hideous infection you get when you accidentally kick a coral reef in HI.

I use the Okespor "Florida," the most minimal bootie out there, and grind the shiny off the bottom before I ever get on a board with them.

They are best when the sole is worn paper-thin.

Andy Brandt used to swear by them.
chibichibi

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

too much information, TSE! how bout a Loofa?
chibichibi

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you all have any tips for getting into the backstraps easier once your up on a place and in the front strap? i think booties make it twice as hard. i often miss and throw my plane off struggling to get that bastard foot in.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: