myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
The smallest things...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boggsman1

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Booties suck!Period! Skin on board, the only way. Cant believe theres this many booties fans out there.

Boggsman
theq

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boggsman1 wrote:
Booties suck!Period! Skin on board, the only way. Cant believe theres this many booties fans out there.

Boggsman

Most of us aren't really "fans" of booties. What we are fans of, is having unbloodied feet. The rocks at Leo Carillo have teeth. Few who sail there, sail booty-less.
I love sailing without booties. In fact, it could be said that it's so pleasurable that I've probably had many "out of booty" experiences while doing so. Rolling Eyes
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say that the only wetsuits that I buy these days are the O'Neill surfsuits. The only criticism I have about them is that the cuffs at the ankles are not quite tight enough to prevent water from shooting up and then getting trapped. Of course, surf suits are designed with tight arms and loose ankle cuffs, and they're kind of the opposite of windsurf wetsuits. When I ride my slalom boards with real outboard straps, I use some old velcro'ed straps off some old Okespor Gorge booties around the ankles. Also, I have to agree with gerritt about the advantages of neoprene II over smoothskin, particularly because it's super durable. The neoprene II does refrigerate a bit just standing in the wind, but there's no problem when one's out sailing around.

When it comes to booties, I wouldn't sail without them, because the last thing I want to do is cut my feet. And I have to agree with theQ about Leo's rocks and barnacles being some of the nastiest around, especially when the tide is quite low. If one sails in the SF Bay like some here, I guess it's relatively easy to go less booties since many of the launches are quite a bit less demanding.

In my opinion, the absolute best booties were the Okespor Patrice Belbeoch models, but unfortunately they are no longer made anymore. After trying many others over the years, I have to say right now that I'm very satisfied with the Prolimit split toe low tops. The only thing that worries me is that companies like Prolimit are focused on changing them year to year, like it's some kind of fashion statement. Fortunately, the last two generations of them didn't alter the basic design, so all is still good.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chibichibi wrote:
do you all have any tips for getting into the backstraps easier once your up on a place and in the front strap?

SURE!
Leave the front foot on the center of the board forward of the front straps, where it avoids weighting a rail, keeps your weight forward for earlier planing, lets you steer right and left as desired, and helps you oppose the pull of the sail. This leaves your back foot unweighted, bored, and looking for something to do, so you have plenty of time to stick it its strap. Do so, then as your speed increases so the tail will support more weight while you accelerate further, ease your weight onto the back foot. Now IT is on or near the centerline controlling your board. Once your weight is supported by your back foot and harness, your FRONT foot gets bored. Give IT something to do: stick it into its strap.

Bonus: your front arch can't get destroyed by getting launched while fishing for that back strap, and that strapped-in back foot will prevent launches anyway.

Pay no heed to those why say that front foot first is the only way to get in the straps. Thousands of us prove that fallacious hundreds of times every windy day. Try both ways and choose for yourself, or HERE'S an idea: do whichever strikes your fancy each time you strap in.

\m/
timwnitram

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI, someone asked what kind of booties I got, they're NRS Kickers: http://www.rei.com/product/722202
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: