myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Shipping a windsurf board?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shirin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just couple of days ago, I've got a board delivered from Gorge to my office in Oakland for $90.00 by Fedex ground. no shipping damage

Board dim. JP freestyle wave 77 lit

Approximate Dim with packaging :

Length 97.00
Width 25.00
Depth 12.00

Weight 14.00 lb
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Size matters.
DHL won't even ship a board this size (it's a 114-liter JP Freeride 272), and the other carriers levy a huge surcharge due to its combined length/girth. They would not ship your JP Freestyle as packaged.

\m/

Last edited by isobars on Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
madspaniard

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you should ask any of the Gorge shops how they ship their big boars, I doubt they pay more than $125/board
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did. Big Winds said $175 is CHEAP, that I should jump on it. And that was before we even talked size.

\m/
madspaniard

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow! makes you appreciate when you buy a board from one of those shops and they tell you shipping is included
erik

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up using UPS. To ship from CA to SC.

Go online and keep making the numbers smaller until you get rid off this error:
Package exceeds the maximum size total constraints of 165 inches (length + girth, where girth is 2 x width plus 2 x height). (RAV: 1050)

Print shipping labels, schedule home pickup and have cute girlfriend distract driver. I ended up paying about $155 .....

and then they adjusted it and charged me an extra $130. Still have to contact them and complain since the driver did accept the package and I was only a few inches off.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure shops get better rates than I could, but, yes ... even their shipping costs must be significant.

I laughed out loud when the DHL weiner suggested I break the shipment into two packages. I explained that that would affect its value.

\m/
Epenrose

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is actually my business.

Problem with boards are that they always dim out. You have to calculate the dim. weight.

Example: Board weighing 35 lbs packaged. l - 89" w - 40" H - 15"

To calculate dim weight you do the following domestically: L X W X H = 53,400. Then divide this by 194 (166 int'l) and it equals 275.25 lbs dim weight. You pay on whichever is higher. In this it case actual weight is 35 lbs, dim is 275, you'll be rated and charged on 275.

If your board actually weighed 275 lbs rate wouldn't change. You may want to check for water though!

As a reference if you have a friend in the shipping business rates would be as follows. Much better to pick up at an actual terminal. LA - SF on a 8' board, around $80 with fuel. SF - NYC - $140.

I use yellow freight for this type of shipment, you'll have to get a friend as retail rates are expensive to the average joe.
ntupman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: shipping damage Reply with quote

Just bought a new board and I had it shipped. I opened the box up at the depot and there was a ding the size of a penny. I figure I could fix it myself.
While filling with marine tex i had some time just to stare at the board (stoked on my new purchase ... my first "new board"). I found another damage part of hairline cracks along the rail for about a foot. When i picked up the board in the spot just outside the cracks you could hear air seeping out as if whatever impact in shipping had cracked the d-ram and made some space Internally (delam)? waiting on the shipper for more info any advice or experience with this?
surfdog55

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just received a board from Open Ocean. Brian will only use Delta airfreight because of his past success. It's the second one he has sent me with no worries. Portland to SF $79 collect. Picked it up at Delta Airfreight away from the passenger terminal at their will call, so no problem with parking. L8r JT
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: