myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
The Dry Duck Jibe
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnl

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:24 am    Post subject: The Dry Duck Jibe Reply with quote

Yesterday in the fairly flat waters of Candlestick I started working on my duck jibes again. My very last one, I managed to stay dry and complete the jibe. I know, big whoopie..... Rolling Eyes

BUT I think I know what is stopping me from hitting the other ones, and could use some pointers......

I seems to initiate the turn okay (been completing regular jibes for years), and my sail flip timing seems to be okay. BUT when I do the sail flip, for some reason I tend to stop carving the board and head DDW (Dead Down Wind). Then when I complete the sail flip, it's way in front of me and I can't reach it very well. I either fall or drop the sail.

So the question is, do you have any pointers on getting my board to keep carving (like some tips, I KNOW I need to keep it carving, but for some reason I'm not) ?

Thanks
slayer666

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem at first, the key is to keep the rail in the water in order to continue the turn. When you switch your foot stance, make sure you don't stand right in the middle of the board.

(I think this applies to tacks as well)
kevinkan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a lot of people lean back excessively when they go to duck the sail.... leaning back kills your board speed and stops the carve, so what you want to do is keep your weight somewhat forward and keep the board flat so it will keep its speed and continue to carve. instead, make the sail go around you (instead of moving around the sail). helps to throw the mast forward a little bit before you duck. most people also duck too late and then the apparent wind prevents them from pulling the clew past their face.
https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
markpaine

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: The Dry Duck Jibe Reply with quote

John,

If you were on the blue and white Superfreak you were throwing the sail way too late. Holding onto a floppy sail dangling right over the nose is a classic indicator. Otherwise your carve and posture looked good.

-Mark

johnl wrote:
Yesterday in the fairly flat waters of Candlestick I started working on my duck jibes again. My very last one, I managed to stay dry and complete the jibe. I know, big whoopie..... Rolling Eyes

BUT I think I know what is stopping me from hitting the other ones, and could use some pointers......

I seems to initiate the turn okay (been completing regular jibes for years), and my sail flip timing seems to be okay. BUT when I do the sail flip, for some reason I tend to stop carving the board and head DDW (Dead Down Wind). Then when I complete the sail flip, it's way in front of me and I can't reach it very well. I either fall or drop the sail.

So the question is, do you have any pointers on getting my board to keep carving (like some tips, I KNOW I need to keep it carving, but for some reason I'm not) ?

Thanks
pshaw

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject: Duck jibe - as with any jibe, BEND YOUR KNEES Reply with quote

Be sure to bend your knees as you initiate the jibe. This helps keep you from leaning back and stalling the board. As mentioned above, also keep your weight on the carving rail. If you are ending up going dead down wind, it is because you took weight off of the carving rail. If you stall it, it is probably because you shifted weight to the back of the board. Also, keep your arms straight as you position the sail, i.e., try not to clutch the mast toward you. This also, causes you to lean back.
VinceSF

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It also helps a lot to be fast when you pass the clew in front of your face so tht you're able to reach far on the other side of the boom.
When you reach on the other side you can then immediately regain control of the rig and pay attention at your board speed, direction as well as your body placement.
So when you grab the end of the boom it pays to forcefully throw the clew far away.
sharkasm

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: Southern Duck Reply with quote

Smile

Last edited by sharkasm on Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
ERROR!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:33 pm    Post subject: duck jibe Reply with quote

More ideas to try in order to keep the board turning during a duck jibe:

1. Be looking where you want to go (not at your booms).

2. Stay leaned out a little longer (rather than stand up straight).

3. You can pull up on the footstrap with your outside foot to keep the inside edge carving.

4. You can go into the turn with knees bent and as you complete the duck jibe, push out with your legs to keep the board carving.

5. Add a propeller and tiller/rudder... Smile
bobgatpdx1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duck early (and often) - as soon as you've initiated the carve and have your weight over the board - let go with your front hand. DON'T LOOK AT THE SAIL as it falls perilously towards the water. Keep your eyes on the horizon. The duck and throw needs to happen before you get to dead downwind. As you continue to carve, the sail will hover in front of you and you can grab it in front of the harness lines. Sheet in gently, regain your composure, then switch your feet when you're stable.

Ducks are FUN!
bobg
hemmy007

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: duck jibe Reply with quote

It helps to push the front hand/boom head away, lightly, to start the rotation as you prepare to pass the clew in front of your chin. Do not forget to duck. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: