myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Youth windsurfing sessions at The Hook
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tmayer_h2o

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:34 am    Post subject: locals only rule Reply with quote

To clarify things, the "locals only" rule for the windsurfing camps comes from our partner in this program, the HR Parks and Recs. The program is attempting to offer local residents a lower-cost opportunity to try windsurfing but we have to walk a fine line so we're not viewed as competing with the other schools and businesses offering kid's camps (which cost about $100-125 more than the CGWA camps, I believe).

The youth sessions from 4:30 to 6:00 on T-Th are free and open to everyone all summer. I view the use of the equipment as a much greater economic benefit and convenience for members (and anyone else) than the camps. Here's why. There's no initial purchase of gear if kids/families want to try the sport (which is worth many hundred $) and the equipment is all rigged and ready down at the Hook (which saves you from having to haul gear down there and rig it - a significant time savings). In addition, the sessions are supported by adult volunteers who offer their own time to come down and help out. All in all, this is a great deal.

FYI, the money for this program and all the equipment comes from the camps themselves and from a separate youth fund set up by several generous members years ago. Our sponsors have helped with equipment donations too. The program is entirely self-sustaining and does not use any membership fees.

Maybe we can talk Katie into giving a loop clinic down at the King of the Hook this year?
tmayer_h2o

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eileen et al. - sorry for the delayed response - it was windy weekend! Any windsurfing class or camp will suffice - it doesn't need to be a CGWA camp or a gorge camp at all. The purpose of the youth sessions from 4:30 to 6:00 on T, W, and Th is just to offer kids more time on the water. The kids should be able to uphaul a sail and at least be trying to jibe or tack. We can give them tips but we're not teaching the basics through this program - for that, you need a camp.

Generally, the HR Parks and Rec wants kids to be about 10 yrs old for the CGWA windsurfing camp, although they do allow some younger ages sometimes. I think Big Winds and other businesses open their camps to younger kids. Younger is ok as long as the gear is small enough and the wind is on the lighter side. I would say that uphauling the sail, staying warm, and just having a positive experience, are the major considerations. My daughter did some sailing when she was 7 and she really liked it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: