myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Corpus Quiver
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jse

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:58 am    Post subject: Corpus Quiver Reply with quote

Hi, what's a good quiver for Corpus area? My son starts at Texas A&M next fall and I'd like to get a board for him. He has a Tabou 3S 87, weighs 170 pounds, sails freestyle and is used to sailing in the San Francisco area. I suppose he will sail in the bay, adjacent to the campus, or at Bird Island.

Also, any local info, sites, connections, etc... would be appreciated.

Steve
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

175 liters and sails from 7.5 to 10.0 should get him on the water more days than a serious college student can spare. Smaller stuff would be almost a waste of time, money, space, and raw materials for anyone with scheduled obligations in CC. The San Francisco Bay it is definitely NOT. He can stick the Tabou and 5.0 under the house for those rare windy days he's not in class or doing homework.

\m/
pormike

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:51 pm    Post subject: Corpus quiver Reply with quote

Whoa now! I don't usually post, but CC Bay is literally my backyard. If you think you need a 7.5 to 10 you haven't been here this spring. I am 200 lbs and my most used board is a JP FSW 93. My main quiver is 4.5, 5.0, 5.8. I will admit my 5.8 gets more use than my 4.5. If he is going to A&MCC in the fall he will be in the ideal location for sailing northers in the bay. The campus has a small beach of their own. If he wants the waves he can sail at Port Aransas or Packery channel. If he wants flat water he can sail at Bird Island. There are tons of launches here for any direction. I myself live in Portland, TX (5 houses down from the "Wildcat" wind meter on i-windsurf. I can sail any direstion from my backyard except north. His Tabou should be fine. Go to corpuschristiwindsurfing.com for info.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Corpus quiver Reply with quote

pormike wrote:
Whoa now! I don't usually post, but CC Bay is literally my backyard. If you think you need a 7.5 to 10 you haven't been here this spring.Go to corpuschristiwindsurfing.com for info.

I'm referring to the big, historical story as told by the data you refer to, by years of personal trips, and by MANY first-hand reports from others throughout the past 25 years. No doubt it gets some great months and some good seasons, but I wouldn't PLAN on either from afar.

\m/
drewkim

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're son is used to sailing an 87 liter board, he will probably only sail when it's 'good' in Corpus. I would think some sails from 5.0 to maybe 7.5 would cover him well along with a 110-120 liter board.

If he wants to sail in the doldrums then isobars 175 liter big sail recommendation can make sense. However, I've sent many weekends in Corpus and I'm almost always on something smaller than 120 liters and 7.0. Corpus is definitely dead at certain times of year, but spring and fall are typically very good.
pormike

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:11 am    Post subject: Corpus quiver Reply with quote

It appears that he won't be planning from afar. It sounds like he will be living here. Like every other good windsurfing spot including Maui and the gorge, if you live there you sail on the good days. There are plenty of them. The mid-summer can be pretty calm with just a 10-15 mph sea breeze but if he is going to school here he will be here for the best seasons for sailing. I actually have a 6.5 Ezzy wave sail for the light days and my friends think I'm crazy. I don't even know anyone here that has a 10m sail. Like everywhere else it doesn't blow all the time, but you will get more than enough short board sailing if you live in Corpus. Come on down!
jasonpelli2799

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another good source of info is to give the guys at Worldwinds a call. They can set you straight on the wind.

On a personal thought. The winds is pretty darn regular in Corpus. Just look at the palm trees on Ocean Drive. The fronds only grow on the leeward side of the tree. The only time it gets light and fluky is late July and August when the gulf is up to bath water temps and the thermals quit working.

While I am new to this and won't comment on what board size or sail size to use. I have been learning with a Mistral prodigy and a Starboard Go and rarely use larger than a 6.5 and I am quite heavy (240+) right now. So, basically it has blown hard every weekend this spring when we go down to visit the inlaws.

My wife grew up in Corpus and went through Grad school there as well. It is a nice small city. If you guys have any more questions about Corpus as a place to live, feel free to drop us a note and we will fill you in.

Jason
amarie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guys that weight who sail freestyle/wave here typically have sails from 4.2 through 5.8 and sometimes one size larger and/or smaller depending on preference. There are a couple good freestylers at A&M (students). He'll fit right in. If he has a choice in class schedule times, try to leave the evenings free in the spring/summer (wind is best around 3-dark) and during later fall/winter it's good to have some mornings free because that's when the cold fronts blow in. If he has any other questions PM me on here b/c I work at A&M and sail freestyle here...I can introduce him to the students who sail and probably connect him with other info.

This has been a great year and hopefully will continue...every single day of June so far has been planable for me on 5.2 or smaller/77L board. I've missed two days just due to scheduling issues, not lack of wind!

I don't know if this link will work but check this out for inspiration...the island is where the university is located. More windsurfers should study here! http://www.tamucc.edu/image_gallery/images/aerials/november07/07146-6lowres.jpg
windchaser

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject: Corpus Christi wind conditions Reply with quote

Steve, I'm a 220 pound sailer. I use 115+5.7 and 100+5.0 with a few days
in the low 4x range and smaller boards. Wind conditions are great in CC, not
Gorge or SF Bay. But sailing in shorts has its advantages. Lived in Rio for 20+ years and find Corpus to be great sailing. Bird for flat water speed and
freestyle, ocean for waves and CC bay for bump and jump.
jordanwd

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

corpus can rock: not sure why yer spreadin the bad vibe about it iso...when living there for most of the 1990's my quiver ran 3.7-->5.2 for the bay w/ added 5.8 and 6.2 for onshore wave sailing in the summer at bob hall- all on either 90L or 75ish L bassett wave boards (i weighed ~ 180#). Evan working 45-50 hours aweek i was easily able to sail 100 days/year +. Spring and fall are best and most consistant (~4.7-->5.2)..but late after work sessions at bob hall in the summer(onshore wave sailing on 5.8's) can last weeks on end; tropical storms in summer and fall can yeild some fun days as well....some years are better than others of course..as amarie pointed out,play the odds and have your classes over with by mid afternoon in the spring& mornings open in the fall/winter. If you know were, fishing along the gulf coast is world class as well (trout, pompano, red/black drum, shark,kingfish, tarpoon- you get then idea)

on a side note, if you like killer wave sailing keep an eye on the buoys..if it blows hard out of the south all night along the entire lower texas coast you can do a late night road trip to SPI for a dawn patrol at the north jetty...it'll usually blow south side/sideoff till about 10:00- the surf can line up nicely and equal west coast south swell -after 10:00 it'll start clocking more onshore blowing out the surf...
perhaps contacting/joining the corpus christi winsurf association maybe informative
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: