myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Corpus Quiver
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jordanwd

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mwood5 wrote:
I think counting me, there are about 4 of us that have or do live there chime in on this already. If you don't believe us, why not one of the Hawaii guys track down Elliot Leboe who basically grew up in Corpus. I know he's a kiter now, but maybe he's someone that the doubters here will believe.

mike

^ hahahaa, the good ole days...... or ask mark bassett (bassett sailboards), bobby dumas (bobby's boards..aka board works), jerry hartong (brand X boards), eric barnett (Air X sails), jody barnnet (hot sails), don (gulftech booms/masts), the late pete norby (RIP...zero gravity kite boards).. the list goes on and on..they were all based out of corpus for a reason...
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mwood5 wrote:
So, if you believe the sensors and/or the reading of the data that Iso did...he says that it's only blown over 20 for 4 days. You mean, that in the past two days...it's doubled their 20+ days. And it's not even the windy season.

...not trying to be a know it all, but again, living there for 6 years and sailing all the time, I just know what it does there...and 4 days just was unrealistic.

I think counting me, there are about 4 of us that have or do live there chime in on this already. If you don't believe us, why not one of the Hawaii guys track down Elliot Leboe who basically grew up in Corpus.

I don't "believe" or "disbelieve" anyone here. They report their experiences, I report mine plus that of the CC residents I've known, and I reported the Ropes/Oleander iW archives for 2008 -- don't take my word for it; it's just a few clicks away -- when someone brought up Ropes. (The recent days @ 20 were at Bird.) This isn't even a debate, let alone an argument; it's a buncha guys reporting various data from various sources. I have my own favorable and unfavorable personal opinions of CC sailing, but since they're irrelevant, I haven't mentioned them here.

I have zero stake in this; the OP is free to draw any conclusions he wants. My full quiver recommendation for someone going to school there -- or in Hood River or Maui -- would include something like boards @ 70, 90, and 120 liters -- maybe plus a huge early planer -- with sails from 3.0 to 10.0. That way he can almost always sail when he can spare an hour or three now and then. (If my kid in college had the free time to cherry pick his wind, I'd question how wisely he's spending my money.)

I respect Elliot (we held the same job at Performance Windsurf Report Magazine at different times and overlapped), but his wind experience in CC is no more or less relevant than any other resident's given how much its wx apparently changes over the years, probably as El Nino and La Nina come and go.

Mike \m/
mwood5

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:

My full quiver recommendation for someone going to school there -- or in Hood River or Maui -- would include something like boards @ 70, 90, and 120 liters -- maybe plus a huge early planer -- with sails from 3.0 to 10.0. That way he can almost always sail when he can spare an hour or three now and then. (If my kid in college had the free time to cherry pick his wind, I'd question how wisely he's spending my money.)

This quiver recomendation isn't really location dependent. You're right though, if you want to sail every day, this is what you'd need.

isobars wrote:

I respect Elliot (we held the same job at Performance Windsurf Report Magazine at different times and overlapped), but his wind experience in CC is no more or less relevant than any other resident's given how much its wx apparently changes over the years, probably as El Nino and La Nina come and go.

Yep..I'm sure that both El and La Nina do a number on weather patterns, but during my stay down there, we had both as well. Someone with a better memory that I might remember, but wasn't it an El Nino year that first year the Pro Am came down there when it blew really well? What year was that....89 or 90? I can't remember.

later,

m
mwood5

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jordanwd wrote:

^ hahahaa, the good ole days...... or ask mark bassett (bassett sailboards), bobby dumas (bobby's boards..aka board works), jerry hartong (brand X boards), eric barnett (Air X sails), jody barnnet (hot sails), don (gulftech booms/masts), the late pete norby (RIP...zero gravity kite boards).. the list goes on and on..they were all based out of corpus for a reason...

....Steve-O (er, the $50 Million Dollar Man), Grant, Gonzo-weeze, Dr Allen, Jocko, Erik from NYC and countless others.

You know....the thing about Corpus that was/is appealing is this....

Sure, you can probably find areas that the wind is more consistent or stronger, but warm water, variety of conditions, cheap economy, proximity to the launch sites, proximity to Mexico (boca chica anyone when stroms come in?), Austin is 2-3 hours away, on and on and on.....

It's just a great spot.

m
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mwood5 wrote:
You know....the thing about Corpus that was/is appealing is this....warm water, variety of conditions, cheap economy, proximity to the launch sites ...It's just a great spot.

On that we agree. I've praised those and other CC bonuses many times.

\m/
thombiz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Missed yesterday here in Corpus Christi, but today July 15, it was 18-24mph. At 235# I was fully wound up on a 7.0. 150 pounders were on 5.5-6.0's and 180 pounders on mid 6's. So sweet, almost effortless sailing and mach speed!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: