myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Storage at the Event Site
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
surfzephyr1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Storage at the Event Site Reply with quote

Considering the fact that there is very limited numbers of new young blood taking up the sport of windsurfing due to high costs of equipment, car, and gas has anyone proposed the idea of storage containers at the Event Site?

This would enable kids in HR to simply bike/walk to the event site without the need for a car and money for gas.

In the future, as gas gets even more expensive and people from Portland opt to car pool or commute via bus/train, onsite storage will also start making good sense.

I for one believe, is in the best interests of the retails shops in HR to collaborate on such initiatives as we are the lifeblood of their existance. This is not something that will happen overnight, so it must be started now if it is ever to become a reality.

Other windsurf locations around the world are already providing this service for a nominal monthly or annual fee. Don't you think it's about time that HR, one of the worlds top windsuring destinations, offered the same service?
River-Lizard

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Storage at the Event Site Reply with quote

surfzephyr1 wrote:
Considering the fact that there is very limited numbers of new young blood taking up the sport of windsurfing

"fact"? Really? What do you base it on?
billgfc

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Storage at the event site is an idea whose time is way past due. I hate driving my car through traffic and congestion and would much rather ride my bike not just to work, , but also to sail.

We need more bike riding or walking to sail.

There would be FAR more kids doing it if kids could bike or wlak and/or mom could just drop the kids off sans equipment

There are many waterfront centers with storage. It is absolutely the way to go.

Let s do it!
advgeek

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an excellent idea. They have that setup for the kids in Bonaire where at lot of people only have scooters.

I already store my van with gear in Hood River so I can drive my car from Portland rather than drive the van back and forth. Trips to the coast are pretty much out due to gas costs anyway. Putting in some camp grounds near the Hatch (like is actually allowed by the Gorge Act at Brighton) or on some of those empty lots by the Event Site could further lessen driving for us weekend warriors.
PROVDA

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic idea...
wsmike

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had this exact thought before too, I think its an idea whose time has come. The only problem I saw was, the Event Site tends to have some pretty iffy wind and is certainly not the premier place to sail in the gorge. What happens if you want to sail somewhere else? In that case you'd have to actually do MORE driving, especially if you live on the Washington side.
Hound

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea! Surprised the town and the industry have not pushed this more.
ascott72

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have thought for a while that it wouuld be a great idea to have some mini-storage units built somewhere on all that unused land near the Event Site. lets face it: 1) windsurfing takes a lot of gear and it gets difficult to store it all if you live in an apartment or your wife wants to keep the garage clean; and 2) driving with all that gear on your roof decreases your car's fuel efficiency - and gas prices aren't likely to get cheaper in the future; 3) and of course there is always the fun of driving an hour (or more) to HR only to have brought the wrong size gear. Sure would be nice to store it all right there...
ledel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: Storage Reply with quote

Great ideas! Could CGWA help investigate the possibilities? And the idea of a campsite on vacant land at the Event Site is one I think about every time I drive up. This is just begging to happen . Hood River has done a real nice job with the new waterfront park, and a nice camping area with some added vegitation would be a logical extension that would really enhance the area.
jsampiero

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Four words: Port of Hood River.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: