myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
New York sailing, where?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madmax7

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject: New York sailing, where? Reply with quote

what do you city folks do to get a little sailing in? where do you go ? what time of year works? any rental sites?

I'll be visiting June 26 to 29 and would love to watch you guys play...and get some shots...I would be jealous but whatever...

Max.

PS and how do you get there from NY city
salimny

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject: windsurf near nyc Reply with quote

thats a good question. bought equipment 1 month ago and there was no single windy weekend after that. where is the action?
armaswindsurf

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:57 pm    Post subject: RAY Reply with quote

!WOW!... I am glad to be the first in give you my oppinion.. spacially when I only have been in USA 8 month..

So, I live in Manhattan, but my girlfriend is in Brooklyn (where I keep my gears) I use to sail on Brighton beach (next to coney island) when the season wasn't open yet and I tell you ,IT was really bad place.. till every body here recomend me "PLUMB BEACH" is really close to the North east of coney island, just following the coast line north to coney island and next to Brighton beach... This place PLUMB BEACH is absolutly awesome.. all the New york's windsurfers and kiters goes there.. I just fall in love of that place in one second... Mostly, for the winds there you will need at least an 7.0 and up.. I personaly sail with my 8.2 and my 104 L S-Type starboard, and i am around 180 lbs but I always take with me an 6.5 just in case the wind goes Up. And for sure sure sure... I will be there this next Monday and tuesday and maybe Wed.. too. Is really easy reccongnize me.. I am the only one in NYC that takes all my gears on a self made bicicle trailer.. from Flatbush AVE to Plumb beach (brooklyn)..hahaha... is fun see people reaction!!!!!

But if you go to my posts on the forums "HEY WINDSURFERS..,DON'T USE A CAR.. USE THIS" (or something like) you may see some pics with the trailer.... so it will be easy to recongnize.

PS: It may be gramma problems in my writing... sorry for that!... hahahaha

Last edited by armaswindsurf on Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
armaswindsurf

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:59 pm    Post subject: RAY Reply with quote

And the other is... that there is no place in NYC that you guys could rent windsurf gears... SORRY!!!

Last edited by armaswindsurf on Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
thering@pspsport

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it depends on how much you are willing to drive. if you can make it to the island there are many spots along the south shore with good wind during the summer. heres a link to the long island map for good spots http://www.peconicpuffin.com/the_peconic_puffin/map/index.html
ehold

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can rent from Windsurfing Hamptons (www.w-surf.com) if you are prepared to head out that far. The good news is once you are there, there are great beaches all around Smile

The site has a map of locations and Jon in the store will always have agood idea where to chase the wind. Having said that, the best NY wind is in the Spring and Fall...
predator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

armas that is an awesome set up! I need me one of those! Rock on! where are you from?
RickCronk

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:25 pm    Post subject: NYC windsurfing Reply with quote

This link will get you the Hudson Valley Windsurfers.
http://www.hvwrr.org
The site will offer, maps, directions, tips and club info. However, a car is absolutely necessary. Winds are frontal and hardly ever dependable, but sites like Bannerman's Island in SE and Kingston in NE are very dependable and close to NYS Thruway. Come summer, we hit the road to the ocean shores. The Jersey shore has numerous venues with rentals. Extreme Windsurfing is as complete a shop as is necessary with a Hampton Inn on location. Sales, rentals, and instruction. Good luck.

Last edited by RickCronk on Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
armaswindsurf

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:57 pm    Post subject: RAY Reply with quote

DON'T LISTEN THIS GUYS!!.. hahaha... you don't need a car.. WHAT YOU NEED IS ONE OF MY BIKE TRAILERS...hahahaha...XD
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: New York sailing, where? Reply with quote

Most NYC windsurfers sail in either Northern New Jersey or on Long Island, though if you're just interested in taking photos, Plum Beach is by far the closest location.

Here's a map of Long Island windsurfing locations, FYI. The most popular spot on any day it's blowing from the south (and there are thermals almost every summer afternoon) is Hecksher:

http://www.peconicpuffin.com/the_peconic_puffin/map/index.html

madmax7 wrote:
what do you city folks do to get a little sailing in? where do you go ? what time of year works? any rental sites?

I'll be visiting June 26 to 29 and would love to watch you guys play...and get some shots...I would be jealous but whatever...

Max.

PS and how do you get there from NY city

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: