myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
15 TIPS FOR THE FORWARD LOOP BY WYATT MILLER
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wyattmiller

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:46 pm    Post subject: 15 TIPS FOR THE FORWARD LOOP BY WYATT MILLER Reply with quote

15 TIPS FOR THE FORWARD LOOP

Getting Started

1. Get a group of friends all at around the same level, Have every one throw in $100 bucks.
a. The first person who waterstarts out of a loop, with their feet in the straps, wins the pot.
(Another member of the loop group must witness the loop into waterstart)

2. Purchase a: helmet, impact vest, earplugs, lucky rabbits foot, four-leaf clover, H20 Audio Mp3 Case….. anything to make you feel more confident. (90% guts 10% skill)

3. Talk to someone who can loop.
(see Wyatt Miller Windsurfing Clinic plug below)

On the Water

4. Practice flinging yourself over the handle bars, NO FOOTSTRAPS, NO HARNESS, WITH BOARD GOING 0 MPH DEAD IN THE WATER!!)

5. Do above 20 more times.

6. Practice jumping upwind, baring off as much as possible in the air, landing downwind.

7. Convince yourself that it is better to do a forward loop off of a small piece of chop, off the wind.
Realize, initiating a forward loop from a jump into the wind will not work. (Unless you bare off significantly while in the air). Understand, that you do not have to get mast high in the air!, You do not even have to clear the nose of the board.

8. Put on your new waterproof ipod case and headphones, listen to charged music. (90% guts, 10% skill)

9. Wedge your feet in the straps.

10. Sail across the wind with your back hand soooooo far back on the boom. Sooooo far back that it feels as if you can not sheet in normally!!!

11. Jump FIRST,
Bare off the wind Second, (By extending front hand as high and as far downwind as possible and pointing toes like ballerina.)
Loop Third (By sheeting in, looking back, and trying to bite your knuckles on your back hand.)

12. Close your eyes, hold on, keep trying to bite your knuckles.

13. Hope one of the other people in your group are watching you.

14. Don’t just do it once a day, go for it 20 times on your first day. Otherwise the fear creeps back. (Also maybe no one saw it = no money/braggin rights!!)

15. Email Wyatt about his LOOPING & FREESYLE CLINIC at Crissy Sunday
Wyattmiller525@gmail.com
wyattmiller

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmmm that formatted a little better in word...d'oh
YippieYo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 15 TIPS FOR THE FORWARD LOOP BY WYATT MILLER Reply with quote

I attended Wyatt's clinic at 3rd. He's a great sailor and has great advice. Go to his clinic though. I'd heard similar looping and freestyle tips before, but they really resonate now that I went to his clinic and saw him demonstrating for us on water and land.

I've attempted a couple loops now (not succesfully) and lots of the loop practice moves - a lot of the fear is starting to burn away. I plan to try more tonight...

And then the next step is the 15-foot shove-it like Wyatt here (yeah right!).

thanks again, Wyatt.

dakine_ad500.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  35.09 KB
 Viewed:  14410 Time(s)

dakine_ad500.jpg

wyattmiller

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Yippieyo, I am stoked that you like the 3rd Ave clinic and thanks for the praise.

That 15 foot shove it that you posted made the opening spread of this months MENS JOURNAL. But they scrubbed all the sponsor logos out in photoshop.

D'oh.
3-phase

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:26 pm    Post subject: Loop Reply with quote

Great advise from Master Wyatt, we should organize a Loop Festival like the OBX in Hatteras for the west coast. I sponsor a Sail for the event if we make on in NORCAL / SOCAL, thanks to Yippi Yoo to post a picture with one of the best 80 Liter board I made ever I think Wyatt liked that puppy.

Jurg

www.windsurfdeal.com
www.kasail.com
streetsailing

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:13 pm    Post subject: pro stoke Reply with quote

Wyatt, it was so nice having you sail at Crissy Field on Wednesday. I wish it would have been a little more solid but one can't complain about it too much.
Watching and following you and Nils was very inspirational to say the least.
Although I 'll be 45 next month, I'm working on vulcans and spocks right now. I've gone through a looping phase but i'm stuck again in the fear zone.
Just something about getting upside down. I put on a vest and helmet last year and totally chickened out on a perfect looping day. Must be old age. They say looping is easier than vulcans and spocks.
Anyway, can't commit to a whole day of clinic this weekend but hopefully I'll see you on the water again. Pray for wind.
Sail On
JR
Z (blue Aerotech sail with E)
timwnitram

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to second the praise of the 3rd ave clinic. Wyatt is an awesome teacher and nice guy. The clinic totally got me in the mindset to try pushing myself. I've been doin' my loop practices and feel pretty confident about it. I'm a little bummed out that the wind has crapped out this week because I got myself all worked up to huck myself over the handlebars.

Thanks again Wyatt!
esteban

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:23 pm    Post subject: huck it Reply with quote

YO WYATT,

this is your Baja buddy Esteban...got a pic for you! after 8 years of wanting to loop finally got over the hump ( at 45 years old) and am regularly gettin em on starboard anyway. the best drill for me was throwing myself around the rig forward and landing on my back ( no straps or Harness!!) going slow in the water. And Matt Pritchard explained that once you get the board just 90 degrees downwind you will no longer land on your equipment, just on your back which was good tip too...chickening out halfway through is what hurts the most
happy looping!

hold on -web.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  161.43 KB
 Viewed:  14072 Time(s)

hold on -web.jpg

SWE106

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: huck it Reply with quote

4SDW wrote:
YO WYATT,

this is your Baja buddy Esteban...got a pic for you! after 8 years of wanting to loop finally got over the hump ( at 45 years old) and am regularly gettin em on starboard anyway. the best drill for me was throwing myself around the rig forward and landing on my back ( no straps or Harness!!) going slow in the water. And Matt Pritchard explained that once you get the board just 90 degrees downwind you will no longer land on your equipment, just on your back which was good tip too...chickening out halfway through is what hurts the most
happy looping!

yo wyatt and esteban, i had the same experience: learned to loop at 34 yrs, after walking around with the move in my head for years and years. The forward is all about commitment. Do it or don't! And it is actually easy.

Rich Wilde got me into it, when I was learning grubbies last year, where I back-slapped all the time (pulling the sail hand instead of pushing). From that I moved on to the forward. Here some additional tips to the GREAT once Wyatt described.

Key to learning is to look over/under your shoulder: where your eyes look your body will go. ALWAYS. And that goes for ALL moves! Even if you don't sheet in 100%, still look. If you don't look backwards, you will not rotate. Never look forward! You want to see: water-air-water. And always hold on the boom at all times; never let go. Even if you wipe-out or fly out of your straps: hold on! I've done no-footed forwards and still landed nicely, because I held on to the boom (can't recommend doing them though...)

The spinloop is not vertical, it is horizontal: that helps telling your mind to ease the nerves! You are not going over the handle bars. Going downwind as Wyatt says takes half of the rotation jumping of the back of a piece of chop; you only need to rotate a little over 180degr, not 360. That also helps telling your mind to easy the nerves.

And get angry: possitively! not aggresively. If you had an argument with your wife, partner, gfriend, bfriend, an idiot on the beach (kiters...???) etc that get's you in the mood to go huck it.

Now go out and do it! These are Rich Wilde's words: "Once you get that 1000lbs Gorilla of your back, you will never look at windsurfing and learning new tricks the same again." And that is soooo true!

aloha
arnie
ps: i fall-in more often on a jibe than on a forward because the latter is technical more easy!
wyattmiller

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject: Hood River Clinic Reply with quote

So stoked that everyone is pushin it. Once you learn one move it really opens up doors, especially the loop.

Thanks to everyone who came out to the Crissy clinic. I can't believe how many guys made it all the way around on their first loops. We can talk about it all day but it sure is sweet to see people huckin em everywhere.

I am putting on another clinic at the Hood River Marina Sat. July 5th

Check out www.wyattmillerwindsurfing.com for more info.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: