myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
IT"S EARLY< BUT MAY BE A BAD WIND YEAR
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beallmd

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so maybe I got it exactly wrong? the facts are solid regarding the cold fronts moving through etc, but the effect may be a better wind pattern than the normal thermals? We all normally think of the foggy cold dense coastal air contrasting with the inland hot rising air, but even when this gets screwed up, the wind is better?
koogzah

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Methinks ye over analyze, lad.

IT'S EARLY > BUT MY LIFE MAY BE MEANINGLESS

Enjoy each day for what it is (a freaking miracle, man), etc...
beallmd

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koogzah may be right. My wife would probably agree. Some of us just cogitate, can't help it. Maybe that's why I like windsurfing-no time for cogitating... Noted cogitators; Ben Franklin, Einstein, John Adams, Bob Marley Noted Live every day types; Jerry Garcia, Jimi Hendrix, Jimmy Buffet, Jack Nicholson
WaveSlayer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, The Gorge sucks, don't ever go there!!
nealpar

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WaveSlayer wrote:
Yeah, The Gorge sucks, don't ever go there!!

Yeah, Malibu too sucks. Don't anyone ever go there!
ctuna

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:28 am    Post subject: I got to agree with the guy that started this post Reply with quote

It's not the year is was last year which was very good. Last year the conundrum was where do I go I just can't decide it looks good everywhere, my hands are sore. This year its been extremely cold through may and it seems its either full on or full off. Yes you can get some if your free to drive anywhere anytime. This year is not a washout by any means but what was that odd weather the last three days heatwaves an thunderstorms?
LeeD

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This year, 6 daze a week easy with 5.5 and smaller if you're 150lbs., and the most sheer # of 3.7 daze, if you have time and driving compunctions.
Even this hot spell, and thru all this NW winds, you can find overpowering winds with some driving and time, so not all so abnormal.
Even hot yesterday, several options for 18+ winds.
Friday not so many, but the GGBridge is nice as was most NW spots late late in the day.....
jimwilkins

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm more alarmed at the cost of sailing this year, Gear & gas costs. both are linked to the use of materials for the War effort.
tsokat

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My impression is that this March-June was among the best in 10 years for Waddell and Crissy. Classic fog-based Rio daze haven't really kicked in much, although there have been plenty of reasonable opportunities for SI fans. BTW, just returned from several days of blasting winds on north shore Maui. At the same time, surfers were ripping solid double overhead south swell waves at La Perouse and other locations. On another note, I am concerned about all of the wild fire smoke currently in the air. Hope everyone gets through this fire season with minimal problems!
carl

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimwilkins wrote:
I'm more alarmed at the cost of sailing this year, Gear & gas costs. both are linked to the use of materials for the War effort.

From what I'm hearing on the news,
The high cost of carbon has to do with Boeing buying up big qtys for the
787 Dreamliner passenger plane. The gas prices are up due to speculaters in the gas+oil futures market because China and India are consuming increasingly more oil and the fear factor of a middle east oil supply disruption. I think the war itself is a minor drain on oil reserves at this point, it's pretty much just ground fighting.

Back to the topic:
The west bay's been pretty good since March (one of the best Marchs I remember). The NW winds around gaps near the coast have been good this spring.
I believe Bealmd is from around Sacramento (please correct me). There was a stationary low centered over Tahoe that made the central valley cooler than normal in April/May, not good for thermal winds.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: