myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Leo lifegaurd announces right of way
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:11 pm    Post subject: Leo lifegaurd announces right of way Reply with quote

A couple of days ago I heard the lifegaurd announce on his bullhorn the following: "Kitesurfers please sail downwind of all windsurfers". I believe this is the beginning of enforcing right of way rules between windsurfers and kiters. This only makes sense and should preserve everyones safety and right to participate while minimizing danger at this point break.

They realize that a 25' slot cannot hold 20 windsurfers and 10 kiters safely at the same time. One vessel is 8-12 feet long with 6 meters of power, and the other is 120' long with 12 meters of power and lift.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't imagine that the kiters are going to take getting X'd out of the wave lineup very kindly. No, they wouldn't be happy, not at all.
jp5

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I support the ruling and agree with SW. This should get very interesting.

Last edited by jp5 on Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
nealpar

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpbassking wrote:
This should get very intersting.

You used the word INTERSTING. That's quite interesting.

INTER- : Combining prefix from Latin inter meaning ‘between’, ‘among’.
STING: to affect painfully or irritatingly as a result of contact, etc...

So this [alleged new rule] will cause even more painful or irritating contact among kiters and windsurfers? Hmm. Something to contemplate.
jp5

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typo duely noted and corrected. I still have blurred vision from a late night of beer, whiskey, and rock n' roll. Cool
theq

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpbassking wrote:
Typo duely noted and corrected. I still have blurred vision from a late night of beer, whiskey, and rock n' roll. Cool

You Nuklhedz sure seemed to attract an energetic and youthful crowd. What's your secret? And, who let us in? Keep up the good work. Very Happy
beallmd

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO the systems for kites/WS work pretty well now at Herd Ave/Waddell/Washoe/Sherman. I do think it has become better over the years. Leo sounds particularly diificult though. Good Luck.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Leo lifegaurd announces right of way Reply with quote

stevenbard wrote:
One vessel is 8-12 feet long with 6 meters of power, and the other is 120' long with 12 meters of power and lift.

I try to give a WSer 30 feet to avoid the chance of mast tip collision if both fall at once. If space is tight, I give a kiter 21 feet (his height plus my mast height). There's no way he owns 120 feet if there's juicy swell closer or other objects below him. I have yet to receive any complaints about this practice, and I give all of them much more space when it's available.

\m/
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars, the key to understanding the Leo Carrillo setup, is that the wave lineup is super concentrated into a very very small area. Also, having the existing interplay and sharing between surfers and windsurfing already is fairly well orchestrated and separated into kind of co-joined adjacent small areas, so it's well established and reasonably honored.

The entry into the slot that windsurfers join the scene from the outside is tightly framed by heavy kelp and rock/reef features, with sailors going in and out at the same time. Adding a small hoard of kiters, presses the capacity to ridiculous levels. Moreover, any inclusion of irresponsible parties in the mix, one can only guess about the problems and potential repercussions.

Really, kind of a heavy decision seems to be finding maturation, and I'm thinking that it can't be an easy thing to bring across. Like I said earlier, kiters won't be happy at all.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lifeguards observed kiter riding 1st wave in set then jibing back around me on 2nd wave of set and wrapping her line around my mast so she could catch 2nd wave in the same set. Needless to say they, nor I was amused.

This type of behavior is not unusual, and as I said, it is more a matter of power than size in right of way issues. If we are vessels as they assume, then there are right of way rules pertaining to power and manuverability that they should enforce. Swimmers, surfers, SUP, Windsurfers, Kiters in that order.

Right of way rules will only enhance both sports, and reduce conflict, thereby protecting both sports.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 1 of 16

Jump to: