myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Leo lifegaurd announces right of way
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nealpar

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That photo can't be real. Photoshopped if you ask me. There are too many varying textures to the water, i.e. glassy, breezy, and the physics just don't add up somehow.
theq

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nealpar wrote:
That photo can't be real. Photoshopped if you ask me. There are too many varying textures to the water, i.e. glassy, breezy, and the physics just don't add up somehow.

It's well done but almost certainly not a real scene. That wave is way gnarlier than the one that Laird Hamilton said brought him to tears when he came out alive. Perhaps that is what a Teahupoo right looks like. If so, I'll look at it from here. The same way I'll look at the lefts. Crying or Very sad

The surfers out there have almost certainly seen video of Teahupoo. For those who haven't:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=x6TXCZX5ClY

If the shot was real, that was some guy's final tow-in. If someone tells me that this guy lived through his certain wipeout, I've got some links to other tall tales to check out.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say that I've surfed 8-10' waves at the Indicator in Palos Verdes in the late 60s and very early 70's where a second lip would form mid way up the wave, in essence forming something like the photo, but not nearly as awesome and gnarly as the wave depicted. Still though making it through tight sections where things square up and pitch mid-wave are quite memorable. One has to move through a really shallow section with a very strong powerful swell to get this type of situation. Needless to say, you need to be really moving to make it, otherwise, you eat it big time.
theq

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
I have to say that I've surfed 8-10' waves at the Indicator in Palos Verdes in the late 60s and very early 70's ...

Ya, that was back when an 8-10' wave was an 8'-10' wave, when waves were measured by approximating the size of the actual swell. Truth be told, today's face measurement is a much more accurate reflection the size wave that's being ridden. Heck, something called an 8-10' wave in the seventies could have a 16' face, right? It all depended on how much the wave was sucking out.
That wave in the picture looks like it has no bottom. The water releasing off of his backside rail makes it looks to me as if he's not moving fast enough to live through that one. Never know though. Only his undertaker, photographer, or the caretaker of Davey Jones' locker knows for sure. It's an impressive picture regardless. Cheers.
tsokat

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that pic is artistic but there is something strange and unrealistic about it. non contemp images were joined
bainesy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nealpar:

1. It's a simile, not a metaphor.
2. Barno can't hold down a job. Keeps going to work wearing tightie-whities over his pants.
capetonian

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bainesy wrote:
wearing tightie-whities over his pants.

Shocked Very Happy Laughing
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theq,

When referring to 8-10', I was talking face size. To me that's a good solid double overhead. Never could relate with the concept of measuring the wave from the back, or take the Hawaiian view of extreme understatement by cutting the wave size literally in half.

You know, the more I look at the photo, the more I think nealpar is right about it being photoshopped. It's just too unreal.

You're absolutely right about the wave not really having a bottom. To get to the spot where the guy is on the wave he would have had to make the transition from the takeoff, and that doesn't appear even remotely close to being feasible. Nevertheless, the scene presented is decidedly surreal in nature, especially since the wave doesn't appear to have a backside.
theq

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
theq,

When referring to 8-10', I was talking face size. To me that's a good solid double overhead. Never could relate with the concept of measuring the wave from the back, or take the Hawaiian view of extreme understatement by cutting the wave size literally in half.

You know, the more I look at the photo, the more I think nealpar is right about it being photoshopped. It's just too unreal.

You're absolutely right about the wave not really having a bottom. To get to the spot where the guy is on the wave he would have had to make the transition from the takeoff, and that doesn't appear even remotely close to being feasible. Nevertheless, the scene presented is decidedly surreal in nature, especially since the wave doesn't appear to have a backside.

The more I look at that picture, the more queasy I get. It seems to bring on the feeling of vertigo. I must stop looking or I'll....Too late....gotta run. Mr. Green
theq

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

barno wrote:
Having windsurfers around is like seeing a Clydesdale pulled ...

It seems to me that kiters more resemble something being pulled. Afterall, they are being pulled by their kites, whereas windurfers are being pushed by the wind. This is why it isn't much of a stretch, if at all, to say that kiting is more like water-skiing than it is like surfing. Surfers and windsurfers both are being pushed, not pulled. Kiters are being pulled up and out, very different. This is not to diminish the fun you folks have. I'm fine with windsurfing, as I find it closer to my surfing roots. Maybe you find kiting closer to your waterskiing roots? That's cool dude. There's lots of nice people up at Lake Havasu. They might even dig your "tighty-whities". Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 14 of 16

Jump to: