myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Leo lifegaurd announces right of way
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather than being pulled, I like to view it as being "towed" around. Actually, if I recollect correctly, one of the original kiting pioneers from the Gorge used to complete in the Gorge Blowout from the Cascade Locks/Stevenson area to Hood River using actual waterskis. It was only later that kiters started using directional boards, and later wake type boards.

When you really get down to it, a windsurfing kit is rightly considered a sailing craft, as all the components are integrated together. Kiting on the other hand, can't be considered a sailing craft because one is being towed by kite. A kin in principle to waterskiing or wakeboarding, with the kite being substituted for the powerboat.

While I'm not down on kiting, it just that the concept of getting towed around by an airborn kite attached to long lines just doesn't fit with my idea of a good time. The overall logistics and details involved in doing it simply opens the door broadly to too many problems. Some enjoy those problems, but it's certainly not for me.
nealpar

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bainesy wrote:
Nealpar:

1. It's a simile, not a metaphor.

Technically, I don't think it was a pure simile, but whatever it was, reading it was like hearing fingernails scraped across a chalkboard. I guess that's a simile too.
jp5

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nealpar wrote:
bainesy wrote:
Nealpar:

1. It's a simile, not a metaphor.

Technically, I don't think it was a pure simile, but whatever it was, reading it was like hearing fingernails scraped across a chalkboard. I guess that's a simile too.

Is that the sound of the bolt closing on a Kalishnikov I hear? Wink
traig

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Q.
Yep, there was a big difference going between kite and sailboarding. You can just let the kite hang and surf with a kiteboard and you are actually NOT being pulled. Rode a bazillion waves on windsurfer with the mast and boom dangling while just surfing the wave. Unfortunately the mass and inertia of the rig throws off proper surfing style and flow. With power in the sail, you are getting pushed or pulled, (foward loop) through moves.

I used the same argument you made in the early kite days to keep windsurfing a bit.. Didn't last long. Just way more fun and much more like surfing with the kite. What many of us are trying to do at Leo and other wave spots, is riding directional surfboards with primarily wave power and just steering the kite to keep it airborne. Started trying this with the beginning of the sport. The smaller the board, the more you need to use wind power as in windsurfing, either pulling a kite pushing a windsufer. Either way the dynamic can flaw the wave riding style. The energy is much more easily used to waveride with a kite in our light winds. No straps is a heap of fun and has a very free sensation. Windsurfing always felt awkward with the huge boom and mast, having come from surfing, though the ability to go vertical on a windurfer in the right hands was impressive, considering the size of the board and rig. Kiteing in waves imho is just far more fun, if the proper (real surfboard with real volume) is used along with a kite that wants to stay in the air in the often gusty winds inside Leo. A lot comes down to an individuals kite handling skills and proper equimpment choices. If you can't paddle it into a wave, you will need a lot of wind power to move you and now you are wakeboarding.

Thanks for the strapless surfboard retrieval grab the other day, whomever that was when it went in towards the rocks. Saved me a few more gahes in the hoofs. Got enough dings in the board / body from all the fun sports already. Goodonya!!

PS. Go see Bustin down the Door. It was very cool to be able to talk to Mark Richards, Ian Cairns, Shawn Thompson, Rabbit Bartholomew and a few others last night after their movie in Santa Monica. Great in depth interviews and a better than Dogtown vibe to the movie in some ways for me. Peralta was there at the show as well. That was a real turning point era in surfing and talking to MR about his twin fin boards that I grew up loving so much was so cool. Even my beginner surfer GF dug the flick and considered the interviews provacative and insightful. Cool film that had a good take on even the best riders encounter with localism, and issues of showing others respect.
theq

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traig wrote:

PS. Go see Bustin down the Door.

Hey Traig,

I wish that I had seen the ad on surfline before Saturday night's opening. I looked into that one yesterday and will be taking a trip to Sa-Mo to the Laemmle to see it. Did you see it on Saturday when those surfing legends were supposed to be hanging out? I have Shaun Tomson's book, "The Surfer's Code", signed by him, that I've just started reading. S.T. seems like a very decent human being, aside from being one of the best surfers of all time. Consistent, fluid, and with incredible timing and instinct. Mark Richards was another great, with one of the nicest cutbacks ever. Thanks for the reminder and review. I think I'll plug in my 5 Summer Stories soundtrack to catch the mood. Maybe a little pocololo will enhance the experience. I think I remember remembering the days.

On kiting, well, if I weren't 51, I'd probably try it out. But that's the way it is... old dog. I get what you're saying about being somewhat encumbered by the windsurfing rig at times. But I also see the kite as being an encumbrance, although maybe of a different type. Perhaps it's more mental, and requires a bit more cognizance compartmentalizing, but it does seem to be more to think about than windsurfing. It's that walking/chewing gum dilemma, but with a bit more risk than biting my tongue. And, as people here know, this is something I rarely, if ever, do. Wink

Bring on some wind so that I can suffer this encumbrance some more. Man, who pissed off the wind gods down here?
stephglas

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your interested i want to sell my 2008 Naish Cult quiver for approximately $700 per kite complete with bar. I have a 7.5, 9 & 10.5 I've had them about a month. (310) 600- 0011
nealpar

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpbassking wrote:

Is that the sound of the bolt closing on a Kalishnikov I hear? Wink

Good one. I believe that's a metaphor, and not a simile. Laughing

As for some of our seasoned but never good enough to be pro-level kiters/surfers/windsurfers, self-proclaimed water gods and experts on having fun on the water, IF YOU WANT RESPECT, YOU'VE GOT TO BE PREPARED TO GIVE IT TOO!

Nothing is sadder than watching someone who spends 360 days on the water act selfish, hog waves, stuff the weekend warriors on even mediocre waves, and lecture to others about respect, style or technique, when they themselves are far from exemplary in any of those categories.
theq

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traig wrote:
It was very cool to be able to talk to Mark Richards, Ian Cairns, Shawn Thompson, Rabbit Bartholomew and a few others last night after their movie in Santa Monica.

Embarassed ... missed that part. My question was answered. I do wish that I'd been aware of that showing. Oh well.
BTW: I took the spelling of S.T.'s name from the front of his book. I hope it's correct. Wink He's got one of those names, first and last, that can have a few different spellings.
gregorvass

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at the jets ski track........Photoshop my ass!

1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  82.09 KB
 Viewed:  13937 Time(s)

1.jpg

gregorvass

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at the jets ski track........Photoshop my ass!

2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  81.09 KB
 Viewed:  13936 Time(s)

2.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 15 of 16

Jump to: