myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Verizon in the Gorge
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rigatoni

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:39 am    Post subject: Verizon in the Gorge Reply with quote

Does anyone know if Verizon fixed the gap in their wireless web in the Gorge? Relying on "Wendy" and the kindness of friends for wind reports in the Gorge was a bit of a drag last year.
pandrews

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure how it was in the past but with a verizon broadband card on my laptop I can only get "national access" which is just roaming on another network. Speeds are painfully slow, max rate 28k at best.

Pretty sure no verizon coverage at all as my verizon cell phone also says I am roaming while in Hood river.
wsmike

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll concur, absolutly bumpkis for digital coverage from Verizon in the gorge. Cingular has very good coverage is what I've heard.
rigatoni

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last year I was at the mercy of my friend's wireless web connections and "Wendy." Any other suggestions to avoid this headache this year?
lizardhill

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sitting in a house on Cascade right now and making Verizon calls with little problem (drops calls occasionaly). Works from Portland to the Dalles on this trip. I used to have Cingular and it did seem better in more distancet areas like Underwood and Snowden. Have not tried the wireless as this house has excellent wifi.
scot.davidson@gmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:26 pm    Post subject: Check out ATT Reply with quote

After some 12 years, I finally had to drop Verizon due to Gorge coverage problems. Went to ATT (Cingular) and now I am a happy camper! Great web access, good coverage and also great and affordable coverage in Ventana and El Sargento. But if you change, beware, Verizon is really tricky on their cancellation fees. If you are under contract they will hit you with the full cancel charge even if you just have one week to go. Despite pretty good customer service as a client, when you go, they treat you like they never expect to see you again. And you know... they are right!
bjamin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Verizon has never had native coverage in eastern oregon/washington (east of Cascade Locks). If you have Verizon then you will be roaming on US Cellular for most of the gorge. The other carriers here are ATT, Sprint, and T Mobile. Because Verizon does not (or did not) have a data roaming aggreement last time I checked, I was forced to switch to Sprint in order to access iWindsurf. Voice coverage on Verizon via USC was fine. My understanding is ATT has really good coverage as well. Not sure about TMobile but I've they can be spotty. Sprint had the advantage of cheapest rates last time I checked. And none offer hi-speed (3G) service here and I suspect it will be a long time before they do.
geohaye

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For over 5 years, iWindsurf members have been getting great wireless web coverage in the Gorge on AT&T and Sprint.

Pitiful that Verizon is so slow to fill in their network throughout the Gorge.
rigatoni

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problems with voice up there only data and only on my phone. I noticed that people with Verizon and a Blackberry had no problems. Other than the Gorge, the Verizon coverage and service is fantastic and would not switch solely for that one week of the year. I am wondering if there was a one or two week service contract while up there.
WMP

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

capicella wrote:
Other than the Gorge, the Verizon coverage and service is fantastic and would not switch solely for that one week of the year. I am wondering if there was a one or two week service contract while up there.

Avoid the 'new' AT&T.... they are very well known for bait & switch marketing tricks (scams), same as the 'old' AT&T (aka Cingular). You think you're getting a short-term agreement when they actually sign you up for a 2 year contract (always read the fine print!!). Also, if you change anything on your current plan with AT&T in those 2 years, they will automatically sign you up for yet another 2 year contract without telling you. Also, absolutley horrible customer service at AT&T, you will wait on hold for hours and not be connected to the right REAL person. Much better to go with T-Mobile, I really liked the service from them and the coverage was really good in the Gorge, although the data reception was not so good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: