myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
kayaks in the way
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tetiaroaxx

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One way to dissuade kayakers is to sail naked.
If you must, tack and do a CP right upwind of them.
If they still be coming at you, and you be talented, get on a broad-reach and do a C-shit right upwind of them in a clumsy and drawn out manner.
They will find a more user friendly, and less polluted, paddling area.
rwright

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may be too little too late, but a few clarifications desperately need to be made here. Our kayak group is NOT the group that paddled through the freestyle contest. We came down the river several weeks before that. Read the thread. Check the dates. We also did not come through in a large bunch, but spread out in a long line leaving ample space between each boat for sailors to easily pass between and around us. We did not expect anyone to stop sailing and get off the water as we paddled through, and up until now have actually enjoyed the interaction with the sailors as they sailed by. Most even seemed to enjoy showing the kayakers what they could do as they zipped by at about 5X our speed. On several occasions, I have been sailing on the river as kayakers have paddled through, and know from that personal experience that sea kayakers are highly visible from even clear across the river, and move slow enough that they will not appear out of nowhere and poach your local wave.

I was out sailing the day of the freestyle event, and during a break walked down to the hatch for a look at the action. During the time that I was watching, a kiter came through the middle of the venue, seemingly unaware of the event until it was too late, then moved on downwind. Where’s the outrage? Maybe the real problem is that, from the river, there is not a sufficient indication that something unusual is going on? Not sure what the solution would be. Maybe a large sign on shore, with a flashing light to draw attention, indicating a contest is in progress? Maybe a short row of those large orange buoys at each end of the venue as a visual marker that something is happening between them (short meaning not extending out into potential boat traffic)? Just consider that for any type of craft coming down wind into the hatch, it might not be apparent that there is an event going on until you get right on top of it. Maybe the kiter and the paddlers were just jerks, but maybe they just made an honest mistake. We should probably get out the torches, pitchforks and a rope anyway just to be on the safe side.

This last weekend, some friends got together again for a Viento to HR downwinder paddle. I expressed some of the more positive feedback from this thread and suggested that when we get to Swell/Hatch, we might surrender our right to be anywhere on the river, and stay to the Oregon side to help foster better relations with the WS community. Imagine my surprise at how indignant some of the group felt about some WS telling them where they could or couldn’t paddle, especially when the best swell of the entire stretch is in question!!!! Good grief. To my relief, our path did take us down the Oregon side through that stretch, many swells were caught, and a great time was had by all. And not a single wave was poached.

This has been an interesting exercise in public forums for me. I was initially encouraged by some of the positive views and constructive feedback, but ended up being a bit disappointed as the thread degraded into distortions, exaggerations, and consuming negativity. My original purpose for the posting was to point out how easily the two groups could coexist on the river, but I fear that the end result may have been to just further polarize the two groups. It honestly freaks me out a bit knowing that there are so many people out there that are so eager to fight for exclusion of others from a chunk of river, instead of for all users access to the river.

So a final thanks to you folks who believe in and support the premise that all users can share the river, especially if people are willing to listen and compromise just a little to make it work. I hope that most of the thousands of people who hit on this site and didn’t post (the silent majority?), will remember that most of the kayakers that they encounter on the river are just out for a good paddle, and are enjoying the same things about the gorge that you do. And, I will continue to try to guide groups that I paddle with to the sides of the river in the busy sailing areas.
flyskiwindsurf

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rwright wrote:
This has been an interesting exercise in public forums for me. I was initially encouraged by some of the positive views and constructive feedback, but ended up being a bit disappointed as the thread degraded into distortions, exaggerations, and consuming negativity. My original purpose for the posting was to point out how easily the two groups could coexist on the river, but I fear that the end result may have been to just further polarize the two groups. It honestly freaks me out a bit knowing that there are so many people out there that are so eager to fight for exclusion of others from a chunk of river, instead of for all users access to the river.............

That is pretty much what MOST threads "devolve" into. But you are correct. It IS a river currently available to/for PUBLIC use after all. It SHOULD be open to ALL who are at least SOMEWHAT reasonable and TRY to follow the rules and regulations including ROW rules (as much as humanly possible). I guess at this point I am surprised there are not more protesting those "cruise ships", yachts, and especially the barges that come "barging" down through a lot of the great sailing sites, thus chasing everyone ELSE off of some of the prime areas at times. Maybe it has something to do with the SIZE as well as possibly the "heirarchical", etc. differential(s)? Confused
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rwright wrote:

1. from the river, there is not a sufficient indication that something unusual is going on? Not sure what the solution would be. Maybe a large sign on shore, with a flashing light to draw attention, indicating a contest is in progress? Maybe a short row of those large orange buoys at each end of the venue as a visual marker that something is happening between them (short meaning not extending out into potential boat traffic)? Just consider that for any type of craft coming down wind into the hatch, it might not be apparent that there is an event going on until you get right on top of it.

2. Imagine my surprise at how indignant some of the group felt about some WS telling them where they could or couldn’t paddle.

3. This has been an interesting exercise in public forums for me. I was initially encouraged by some of the positive views and constructive feedback, but ended up being a bit disappointed as the thread degraded into distortions, exaggerations, and consuming negativity.

4. So a final thanks to you folks who believe in and support the premise that all users can share the river

1. I agree, and like that idea for major events. Pros who fly in from Maui and have big bucks at at stake have a right to expect a clear field for fair competition. That, or a competitor whose "heat" is compromised by interlopers should get a do-over.

2. I agree except during big events, but what I recall primarily about this old thread is folks alerting cross-traffic that they are unexpected -- thus may not be seen -- not unwelcome.

3. You don't spend much time on USENET, do you? This group is a bunch of subdued priests by comparison.

4. You're welcome ... except during major events, when no non-competitors are welcome.

\m/
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flyskiwindsurf wrote:
Maybe it has something to do with the SIZE as well as possibly the "heirarchical", etc. differential(s)? Confused

And, of course, federal law.

Mike \m/
tetiaroaxx

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's never been about 'right to the river', or about who owns a wave, or about collision regulations, sewage discharge, or 'can't we all just get along?'.

It's always been about dealing with a-holes (i.e. at freestyle frenzy).

PS try to beam-reach through this (it's moving too!) _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: