myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Currents in the Central and Eastern Gorge

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
metwo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject: Currents in the Central and Eastern Gorge Reply with quote

I'm heading to the gorge in a week and wondering if the currents are slowing down or speeding up in the central and eastern gorge. I understand that they have been strong over the pass month and very strong around swell city and the hatch. Let me know. Thanks
bobgatpdx1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The currents are definitely starting to mellow out. Still stronger than usual for this time of year, but no longer obnoxious. The one benefit of the stronger currents are bigger swells!
bobg
andymc4610

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really noticable today. sailed down to the hatch from swell to get on the hatch cam and get a few more people out (mondays are quite). i had to work my way back upwind for lunch unlike other days where it was hard to stay upriver (downwind).
gpeck1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sailed at the Wall on Sunday on a 4.7 and the currents were ripping. Not much swell, folks told me that around Maryhill it is very choppy.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never noticed any current at Roosevelt/Arlington until this year, especially when I got caught a mile west of my Roosevelt launch by wind so light I couldn't fly my sail. Usually I just swim in if it gets that bad, but for the first time I was drifting slowly west even near the WA shore. I had to get out of the main body of the river, north of the ferry landing peninsula, to make significant easterly progress.

The current is noticeable only when even slogging is not an option, but we're pretty convinced that it is screwing up the swell. We've had very significant chop even on some days that should have had much better swell and smoother water.

\m/
scottwerden

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobgatpdx1 wrote:
The one benefit of the stronger currents are bigger swells!
bobg

That is a bit of a fallacy - stronger current does not necessarily equate to bigger swell. The single biggest factor in swell is wind speed and fetch - just take a look at some of the enormous swell days we get in late summer when the current is zilch. Current can help but it depends on topography and river height - the biggest boost it provides is kicking up standing waves overs an uneven river bottom, which when combined with wind-swell doubles up to very fine waves at places like the Wall, Doug's, the Hatch, and Swell city. All in all, I would much prefer high wind and no current than high current and low/moderate wind. High current just produces lots of swirls, eddies, chop, and confused/unorganized waves.

That's my $0.02
andymc4610

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scottwerden wrote:
bobgatpdx1 wrote:
The one benefit of the stronger currents are bigger swells!
bobg

That is a bit of a fallacy - stronger current does not necessarily equate to bigger swell. The single biggest factor in swell is wind speed and fetch - just take a look at some of the enormous swell days we get in late summer when the current is zilch. Current can help but it depends on topography and river height - the biggest boost it provides is kicking up standing waves overs an uneven river bottom, which when combined with wind-swell doubles up to very fine waves at places like the Wall, Doug's, the Hatch, and Swell city. All in all, I would much prefer high wind and no current than high current and low/moderate wind. High current just produces lots of swirls, eddies, chop, and confused/unorganized waves.

That's my $0.02

In general maybe, but the flood gates have been open a lot this year and the river is running fast, it's been the biggest swells in recent memory. Although it brings in death chop at times not just those smooth glassy rollers....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: