myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Tendon or Mechanical Base
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bred2shred wrote:
By the way, if it takes you more than 5 seconds to install a single bolt mast base, you're doing something very wrong.

Ya made me check, in case I'm missing something.

I just put a board on the floor, installed a single-bolt, and removed it. The process includes:
Unscrew the nut out to the very end of the bolt.
Align the nut with the slot.
Insert it.
Slide/wiggle/coax the bolt forward to its intended location.
Keep it there while turning the collar many rotations.
Tighten the collar enough so it WILL not loosen.
Flipping down the volcano pad.
Flip the pad back up to remove everything.
Break the collar free.
Unscrew it many rotations, hoping I don't go one turn too far and lose the nut.
Slide/wiggle/coax it to and out of the back of the slot.
Run the nut down the bolt so it won't fall off.

Back to that in a moment. First, however, I inserted and removed a uni from a permanently mounted two-bolt base. Including the volcano pad: stopwatch elapsed time was 7 seconds.

With the single-bolt, even without losing the nut in the slot or needing tools to break the collar free after a day on the water and beach, stopwatch elapsed time was two full minutes, as in 120 seconds.

Multiply that difference by 2 to 4 boards a day times the number of days of sailing gives me something like 8-12 hours per season -- assuming I leave each unit in its board all day -- of unnecessary (sometimes frustrating if it's windy or if the nut comes off in the slot) dweebing plus the other disadvantages.

Like most other choices in this sport, this one's personal, but seeing a WSing board on the beach without a two-bolt base in it this century is rare around here. It's sort of like the double take I do when I see a good sailor using a fixed harness hook rather than a roller bar.
techno900

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iso asked:
Quote:
I gotta ask it, techno: Would you sail alone all over the main body of Ray Hubbard on a very windy day with a single-bolt? I not only use a two-bolt, but carry a spare uni, for excursions like that, especially on an 80L wave board.

My answer - yes, I have, but not on an 80 liter board unless the wind is 4.0 or 4.5 (otherwise I am on a 105 liter board). When I lived in Dallas (Raleigh now), I sailed 90 days a year, with 90% on Hubbard. The only real concern I have with the lake is if there is a strong north wind blowing, the dam is down wind. Lots of big rocks if you can't make it to shore before reaching the dam should you encounter a problem in strong winds. The lake is about 1.5 miles wide south of the highway and about the same in length to the dam.

I have sailed well over a thousand days on a single bolt with never a separation. I don't get paranoid over needless issues. I don't have an issue with the two bolt, I just chose not to go out and buy four of them for my boards and at least two new universals that attach to them.

I just went out and timed putting on my single bolt base. 7 seconds. Nut is where is should be, no wiggling, slide to middle, and about three turns to tighten. No volcano pads for me. Use whatever makes you happy.
JamesHardy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
bred2shred wrote:
By the way, if it takes you more than 5 seconds to install a single bolt mast base, you're doing something very wrong.

With the single-bolt, even without losing the nut in the slot or needing tools to break the collar free after a day on the water and beach, stopwatch elapsed time was two full minutes, as in 120 seconds.

Iso, I think I'm starting to understand the point your making, if I was a "special needs" person such as yourself yes it would be a lot easier and take less time using a two bolt but even with my average ability it only takes me 30 seconds max 15 seconds on, 15 seconds off. What gives are you missing a hand? Let me guess this is the same argument you use when defending your Velcro vs the more stylish lace-ups shoes?
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't use volcano pads either until a toe broken on a bare uni cost me an entire season of WSing.
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windsurfing short boards since Sept. '83, worked at windsurf shops from then until 2003, ALWAYS used single bolt WH mast foots, with well over 300 days in the surf, including BIG Avalanche, Phantoms, Himalaya's.
Jalama is easy, as is Waddell. PSC is a beginner's surf sailing spot.
You want hard? Try Jocko's, just to the left of Chuns. Try the outer reefs of Oahu's North Shore. Try Bodega Heads. Heck, try Ocean Beach San Francisco....riding waves and jumping on the way out.
carl

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
ALWAYS used single bolt WH mast foots,

Windsurfing Hawaii has been out of business for years. They did make great
stuff though.
I broke a single bolt base once (not WH) and that alone convinced me to
goto 2 bolt bases. The bolt itself sheared off. The board shot off like a rabbit and left me just holding the boom like a fool. Lucky someone was nearby to catch the board and they also brought back to me a new base.
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got me.
In the EuroVan, one Streamlined single bolt, one old WH, and one new Chinook single base.
I've broken a brass screw, took the pain of the 30 minute chase swim and the 20 minute back upwind to my sinking rig, but..... stuff happens.
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is not safety, but convenience that convinced me
since i use US base/extensions, it is sometimes cumbersome to disconnect when cold or tired
the 2 bolt base gives me another option for removing the sail from the board
when paired with a mechanical that allows things to stay at 90 degrees, it is a piece of American pie Smile

as someone said - each to his/her own
all i suggest is - try it , u might like it ...
bred2shred

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
bred2shred wrote:

With the single-bolt... two full minutes.

I stand by my prior statement... you're doing something very wrong. Maybe you need a refresher - it's righty-tighty, lefty loosey.

Sorry, but you will never convince me that the bottle neck in rigging is installation of the mast foot.

The bigger question is how much of your valuable time did you waste doing your little mast foot installation time trial and then tapping the results out on your keyboard for all to see?

sm
bred2shred

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carl wrote:
I broke a single bolt base once (not WH) and that alone convinced me to
goto 2 bolt bases. The bolt itself sheared off.

You realize that a two bolt mast base still only has a single bolt holding the U-joint to the base and a single bolt holding the cup to the U-joint, right?

sm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: