myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Tendon or Mechanical Base
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bred2shred wrote:
1. Sorry, but you will never convince me that the bottle neck in rigging is installation of the mast foot.

2. The bigger question is how much of your valuable time did you waste doing your little mast foot installation time trial and then tapping the results out on your keyboard for all to see?

1. Never said it was.

2. None, if it helped someone make an informed choice that someday pays off.
Jorionw96

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a life long single bolt user I am offended by you saying it takes 2 minutes to attach my base to my board. When I attached my single bolt to my board this afternoon to secure my sail at Sherman island this afternoon I counted 1 1,000 2 1,000 3 1,000..... and suddenly it was tight and secure. Then I sailed for over 4 hours without it slipping. After that I removed it in roughly the same amount of time. 2 bolts are great and many people use them, but just because you like them so much doesn't give you the right to say it takes 2 minutes to secure a single bolt. Any windsurfer who has ever used a single bolt knows it only takes a few seconds to secure it to there board.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1.I never said it takes anyone two minutes to secure a single-bolt to a board.

2. I didn't even say it takes anyone but me two minutes to install, secure, loosen, and remove a single-bolt. Why, I did it in a mere 100 seconds the next time, 80 another. (If the nut comes off the bolt in the grass or in the track, all bets are off.) That's still 10 times the time it take me to do that with a two-bolt uni setup, and it leaves more opportunity for operator error.

3. You did not install a single bolt, as per the steps described in my post, in three seconds. It takes longer than that just to run the nut all the way out to the end of the bolt so it engages the mast track. Just running the collar down to the deck without letting the bolt slide in the track, not counting tightening it so it won't slip, takes me 6-8 turns of the collar.

Not to mention the convenience factor and the reduced opportunity for operator error. Putzing with a single-bolt base strikes me as mighty similar to removing the fin we KNOW will get used again next time even if storage space is not an issue; it's an option I'd rather not bother with.
justall

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading this thread, I think I will use my two-bolt, especially for offshore. I have had the one-bolt slide off during a session. I don't know if I just didn't tighten it because I was so psyched to get on the water or if I had sand between the plate and board that eventually rinsed out leaving the plate more free to slip. But, I do know it was very difficult to reconnect in offshore, deep water, with a lot of chop and swells. So, while I think the odds are low of it happening again, I might just as well use the two bolt.

Though, just to add to the above dataset, I timed my own installation of a single bolt. Assuming I have the plate in my hand (actually does usually take some time for me to find it in my bag), it took 14 seconds to install and 21 seconds to install and remove. About 7 seconds was consumed with me wiping sand off the base plate and board. I don't pre/post twist the nut, as I seem to have the number of turns built into muscle memory. Though, one could argue that this muscle memory and relatively short installation time is what also resulted in the rig disconnecting from the board during the above-mentioned session.
bred2shred

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorionw96 wrote:
As a life long single bolt user I am offended by you saying it takes 2 minutes to attach my base to my board.

Offended? This is nothing. If you want to get your panties really twisted, start a thread about which foot you should put in the straps first and see what he does. Iso feeds off of his own BS. Best to just say your piece and move on without taking his crap to heart.

Regarding security/movement of each type of mast foot in the track, the argument could also be made that with a single bolt foot, you're checking the installation of the foot every time you sail. With a two bolt foot, you install it once and then never touch the bolts again. Unless you install the bolts with loctite or periodically check them (who has time for that Rolling Eyes), there's always the possibility they could loosen up one day? And if the bolts do loosen, there's no way your going to tighten them on the water (unless you completely disconnect the rig and risk dropping your u-joint in the drink).

sm
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you guys even just run the collar down to the deck in less than 15-20 seconds without the bolt/nut sliding forward or aft in the slot?

It sometimes takes me many irritating seconds just to jiggle the bolt an inch or two in the track. It sounds like your nut glides through your track without snagging, which would make it even tougher to keep it in the right location while running the collar down.

My times are with a collar/plate with four raised flanges to grab; it's even much tougher with the single offset raised tab many bases have, especially with the volcano pad hiding that solo tab.

No volcano pad, you say? One broken toe will change that tune. My front/driving foot too often slips on every deck I've ever sailed when I'm dancing around on the deck, plus I often use that pad as a toe block when trying to get planing or when slogging home. It's also especially advantageous on smaller/wavier boards, on which the sail's forward thrust minus hull drag -- the driving force we must actually deal with -- is greater than on bigger, earlier-planing boards. Just the thought of kicking another exposed joint with bare feet makes me cringe.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bred2shred wrote:
start a thread about which foot you should put in the straps first and see what he does. Iso feeds off of his own BS. Best to just say your piece and move on without taking his crap to heart.

So no one is allowed to consider alternatives other than your own chosen methods? So physics be damned? So many of the best sailors here are wrong? So the many people from multiple continents that have thanked me for ideas that improved their WSing and/or complimented my sailing are just misguided souls because everything's your way or the highway?

If anyone had told me 35 years ago that there's only one way to windsurf -- or 71 years ago that there's only one way to live my life -- I'd have said, "No way; I'm not interested."

As for my "crap" and "BS" ... at least it's topical rather than off-topic personal denigration, and at least I suggest and explain alternative ideas and let others think for themselves rather than issuing edicts and attacking messengers.

No wonder I vote the way I do … or would you rather control that, too?
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"No volcano pad, you say? One broken toe will change that tune. My front/driving foot too often slips on every deck I've ever sailed when I'm dancing around on the deck, ..."

With isobars' front foot up by the universal, and the other planted in the rear footstrap, it's no small wonder that he often slips and jams his front foot into the universal. It's a recipe for disaster.

Given isobars' last post, I have to point out that he's posted 14 times on this thread. In the majority of them, he has been arguing with others that are quite satisfied with a single bolt universal. Seems to me that he's being more that a bit hypocritical in his comments.
justall

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bred2shred wrote:
With a two bolt foot, you install it once and then never touch the bolts again. Unless you install the bolts with loctite or periodically check them (who has time for that Rolling Eyes), there's always the possibility they could loosen up one day? And if the bolts do loosen, there's no way your going to tighten them on the water (unless you completely disconnect the rig and risk dropping your u-joint in the drink).

Yeah, I thought about that, too. Looks like I'd be checking.

isobars wrote:
How do you guys even just run the collar down to the deck in less than 15-20 seconds without the bolt/nut sliding forward or aft in the slot?

Might be a mast track thing ... mine slides easily and I position my hand in a way to spin the plate and keep the thing in place at the same time ... (or maybe I fiddle with my nut less than you do with yours). I've wanted to test a Vimeo upload ... so here is 24 seconds of breathtaking video on the topic (geez, even my dog got bored within that timeframe)

https://vimeo.com/120894316

(as an aside you might even notice the Isopad system on the nose, complete with caulk ... still a great tip)

Last edited by justall on Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
techno900

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No volcano pad? You bet, I have worn booties for 30 years, with never a foot injury. No cuts, no toe bangs, no twists/sprains, no blisters or skin abrasions. I know, it not cool and the experts need the sensitivity and feel of bare feet. I am fine with booties and a single bolt. Life is good!

I can see that bare feet would be good in the sand and surf, but I am mostly lakes. All my booties have slices and cuts in the bottom after a few months of wear.

I should add that I have always has booties with a strap over the arch to keep my toes from getting jammed into the end of the booties (not good for the big toe nail).

I guess I should add that it takes me about 15 seconds to put on my booties, which is time well spent for me, and my feet almost never slip on the board.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: