myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Tendon or Mechanical Base
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. That's pretty impressive, and I appreciate the effort you went to. I changed boards, and the next one was easier because the nut actually slides in the track rather than requiring serious coaxing. But that, of course, allows the base to move around even more as I screw down the plate, which requires at least three times the revolutions yours does ... every one of which moves the base in the slot.

Your base appears to have no bolt offset, so you can hold the base in place while tightening it down. That's a HUGE advantage, well worth buying if I saw any advantage to a single-bolt.

I also would never install a base as lightly as your video shows. I've had them come loose and even separate when installed much more tightly.

Then there's the volcano pad, which gets in the way the whole time. I don't WS without a harness, a helmet, AND a volcano pad.

On the other board I almost beat a minute to install and remove to my standards.

But even if I could install and remove a single-bolt in 2.5 seconds, it still has at least six strikes, all covered above, compared to the double bolt. I've never had even one, let alone both, double nuts loosen, and I do check them every once in a while.

BTW, none of my nose pads resembles yours. Mine are 1/4" thick, 1/2" inch wide, and not obvious at a glance unless I chose a contrasting color.
justall

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always wear heavier-toed booties, so that is probably why I haven't noticed banging my foot/toes into the mast base ... yet.

Agree with the double-bolt pros, and will be using my double.

Ah, mostly meant that your earlier advice for a nose pad (with caulking around the seam) resulted in me applying one and preventing some significant damage, I think.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justall wrote:
your earlier advice for a nose pad (with caulking around the seam) resulted in me applying one and preventing some significant damage, I think.

I'm absolutely certain my board and mast padding has prevented hull damage many scores of times. I'm constantly surprised to see otherwise really nice-looking boards, including some mighty expensive total customs, with beat-up and repaired noses and forward rails just because the owners thought pads look too funky.

Got news for them: So do dings, and dings let in water.

OTOH, I'd rather have chips than a bra on the front of my car, and not just because of what bras do to the paint.
whitevan01

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the double bolt bases on all of my boards. Note: make sure to check the tightness of the bolts once in a while. I was having a great session last year, when I noticed that the mast base was moving during jibes. So, I came in and the both screws had loosend to the point where the base was sliding in the track. So, I went to tighten them, and the head of one them sheared off!!

I replaced it with one from another board and went back out. so, not nearly catastrophic, just kind of a PITA.

Otherwise, the 2 bolt bases have been bulletproof for me.
coachg

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
I know, it not cool and the experts need the sensitivity and feel of bare feet. I am fine with booties and a single bolt. Life is good!

Andy Brandt always wears booties. You can't get much more expert than that.
Like many other things in our sport, it is a personal choice.

Coachg
westender

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could never understand what barefooters are feeling that I can't feel through my booties. The footpadz are so thick what's the diff?? Got Neuropathy?

I don't mind a single bolt but especially when you're testing and swapping gear the 2 bolt with quick release can't be beat. It all works. Cool
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

westender wrote:
I could never understand what barefooters are feeling

Feeling, schmeeling, and screw Barbra Streisand. Smile
My beef with booties is their tendency to snag in the straps at the worst possible moment, threatening my ankles and knees.
coachg

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
My beef with booties is their tendency to snag in the straps at the worst possible moment, threatening my ankles and knees.

Since there is no data to back up your statement & those of us who have worn booties for years have not experienced your dilemma with booties there can only be one conclusion. Your foot straps were too tight or the booties you wore too big.

Coachg
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wear Aleeda 3 mm round toe booties here in NorCal.
For Hawaii, Baja, and Puerto Rico, I never wear booties for windsurfing.
Takes about 3 minutes to adjust, about 2 completed jibes.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do most folks in the world wear shoes? To protect their feet. It's pretty simple really, and it hasn't inhibited folks, even those excelling in sports.

In the sport of windsurfing, many of us launch in environments that pose risks of injury to our feet, so using booties offers some protection and a certain degree of confidence in less than perfect conditions. Not everyone agrees on this, but those that elect to sail barefooted can be just a step away from an injury that can leave them compromised, or in the worst case, beached.

Having used booties surfing long before I started windsurfing, I know that they aren't a liability. I find it a bit ironic that barefooted sailors welcome footpads, which are essentially barriers that prevent direct contact with your board. Although I always wear my booties in all conditions, all of my slalom type boards (4 of my 7 boards) are less any footpads. So, when it comes down to it, I'm actually sailing in closer contact with my boards than barefooted sailors using footpads.

Last edited by swchandler on Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: