myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Santa Barbara July 4th holiday.... HELP?!?!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doctormast

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:22 pm    Post subject: Santa Barbara July 4th holiday.... HELP?!?! Reply with quote

Here in Santa Barbara with my fiancee. I brought my mistral pacifico/ SUP/ Light wind wave board and a 6.6.

Considering bailing on shopping and heading out to Paddle or Sail.

Aside from Jalama, are there any recommendations for SUP or Sailing close by?

Thanks,
Nick
EddyBreffitt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep an eye on "C" st., it should be doable on a 6.6
SUP can be done at Leadbetter, but parking may be an issue.
If you have a smaller sail, suggest Jalama...only one hour away, and the forecast is good.
swchandler

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're looking for waves, your best choice would be C Street, but that's about 30 miles away. If just sailing or paddling around, a couple nice choices in the area would be Leadbetter Beach adjacent to the harbor, or Goleta Beach close to the SB airport and UCSB. Leadbetter would be the good for sailing and paddling, whereas Goleta Beach favors paddling (not much wind). However, with smoke and ash from the Gap Fire in the mountains above the west end of Goleta, that could affect things at Goleta Beach.

Now, if you just want to paddle, there are so many choices besides the two mentioned above, especially if you want to avoid pay parking. East Beach (east of Stearns Wharf), Arroyo Burro Beach and Butterfly Beach in front of the SB Biltmore Hotel all offer interesting venues. Personally, I would recommend Butterfly, because the Montecito area is particularly nice. Also, your fiancee might really enjoy the shopping very close by on Coast Village Road, as there are many interesting shops to browse through.
allen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a backpack and some headphones and head straight to LEO CARRILLO. Shoulder hop the first wave you can get to and head straight into shore......
sharkasm

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked

Last edited by sharkasm on Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
EddyBreffitt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: Leo dude Reply with quote

So who exactly was that idiot at Leo monday, riding waves with a slalom board, overpowered, with a 50 lb backpack, going 45, totally agro? Prototype Leo dude or what?
tony

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Leo dude Reply with quote

EddyBreffitt wrote:
So who exactly was that idiot at Leo monday, riding waves with a slalom board, overpowered, with a 50 lb backpack, going 45, totally agro? Prototype Leo dude or what?

Hey, cut the guy some slack! He's legally blind. The backpack contains a video camera and a computer to convert the video into audio messages. Hence the headphones. At least, that's the only explanation I can come up with as to why he seems totally oblivious to people around him.

Seriously though, has anyone had a quiet word with him? He maybe ought to know that he's running out of friendly witnesses for when he finally hurts someone. I've heard complaints about him before, but on Mon I was a near victim for the first time.
doctormast

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: thanks all Reply with quote

mkrasnoff .... wish I had cleared this trip with you before hand.... you nailed it. I'm in the dog house after not "addressing her needs," while out SUP at Leadbetter.

It was crappy, ankle-biter surf as well.

She is in the shower now, and the prospect of going to Chad's tonight to make amends pains me and my credit rating....

Cheers.
Nick

BTW.... where's it gonna blow tomorrow in case I need to appease my masochistic side with even more punishment?!???
theq

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't deny the fact that the sailor in question almost rammed me after doing a starboard jibe without looking. He's actually a nice guy, but is totally oblivious to other sailors. Unfortunately, I might have to strap one of those air horns to my mast so that I can let him know that I'm somewhere in his vicinity. It's probably nice to sail while listening to music. However, I for one depend on my hearing to know when people are approaching me from behind. With headphones on this becomes difficult and very hazardous. He should not be wearing them unless he's going to be extra careful about looking before he jibes, etc. Will it take an intervention, or do you read this stuff Mr. T. ? Take off the headphones or be more careful, as it sounds like you've come too close to too many people now. Come on dude, pay attention. Listen while the nature is good.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jalama and Arroyo Laguna will be windy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: