myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Coyote right of way
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windbetty

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was great to have the beach so crowded that we are discussing right of way SmileSmile. That was some of the best wind and swell that we have had since the smoke filled skies killed all the thermals. With the heat wave approaching, we may be missing this conversation.

I was kiting on port tack yesterday at Coyote, and indicated to an approaching starboard tack sailor that I would go downwind to yield right of way. I think my indication (hand signal) may have been misinterpreted, and the sailor started to bare off. As they had right of way, they had the obligation to keep their course (not veer downwind and change course).

We had plenty of time and space to adjust and pass each other with only smiles, but I thought I would post the right of way rules to help out any newbies who may not know the finer points. There is some good information on windsurfing/kiting coexistence as well.

Jane
Boardsports School & Shop
Alameda - San Francisco - San Mateo
http://www.boardsportsschool.com

kitewindrightofway_.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  325.31 KB
 Viewed:  11799 Time(s)

kitewindrightofway_.jpg

Epenrose

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this count if you don't think kiters are human? Just kidding.

I wonder of this fellow is the same one who's been around a few years. I had some dumb ass yelling and screaming a few years back windsurfing without right of way.

I gave him the one fingered salute and grinned, was glad I didn't have to wait for surf session for some stupid aggro.

Conflicts at Embassy launch in 6 yrs - 0!
Ulrich

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: Coyote right of way Reply with quote

Jane, it was nice to see you kiting at Coyote, but did you read your attachment-- "Kite Fright" right of way Question rules Confused It's good that (some not many) kiters know that they can luff their kites to let windsurfers sail by, and that kiters "know what's up" since "many are ex-windsurfers". If so, they should also know that Coyote should remain a windsurfers' launch (except for 1 or 2 kiters who already respect the following...)

Smile A Windsurfer's Wish list:
**Kiters who insists on launching at Coyote should go out two miles into the bay instead of going B&F near the busy windsurf launch or the swimming area.
**Kiters should launch downwind from windsurfers, way downwind, say around 3rd Ave.?
**Kiters should pick up my board & rig up the ramp, de-rig my sail, and safely stow it in my car in return for catching their kites when they are landing and not leaving my board fin up at the beach. Wink

Sorry Jane, but in order to be safe we should consider respecting both windsurfers' and kiters' wish lists.

Vangie
windbetty

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Coyote right of way Reply with quote

reply to your reply:

[quote="Ulrich"]
Jane, it was nice to see you kiting at Coyote, but did you read your attachment-- "Kite Fright" right of way Question rules Confused It's good that (some not many) kiters know that they can luff their kites to let windsurfers sail by, and that kiters "know what's up" since "many are ex-windsurfers". If so, they should also know that Coyote should remain a windsurfers' launch (except for 1 or 2 kiters who already respect the following...)

Smile A Windsurfer's Wish list:
**Kiters who insists on launching at Coyote should go out two miles into the bay instead of going B&F near the busy windsurf launch or the swimming area.

[quote="Jane"]

If the wind is steady and filled in, and both windsurfers and kiters respect right of way, I don't see why we should not co-exist to enjoy the water together. Most kiters (who take lessons) are taught not to go out further than you can swim and to stay close to shore. As a kite is not a PFD like a windsurf board, it is considerably more dangerous to go out far with a kite. That is why most kiters stay on the inside at 3rd, and the windsurfers go out into the channel if they like.

[quote="Ulrich"]
**Kiters should launch downwind from windsurfers, way downwind, say around 3rd Ave.?

[quote="Jane"]

3rd is a much safer spot to launch...so I agree most kiters should avoid Coyote as there are many obstacles and hazards like power lines, rocks, and pilings.

[quote="Ulrich"]
**Kiters should pick up my board & rig up the ramp, de-rig my sail, and safely stow it in my car in return for catching their kites when they are landing and not leaving my board fin up at the beach. Wink

[quote="Jane"]
I am not sure what you mean here...but if you agree to catch my kite at Coyote to avoid me having to do a self landing in the water before I get to the power lines, I will be more than happy to pay you back the favor and carry your gear up the ramp, up to your car, de-rig it for you, and put it in the car for you. I may ask you for a beer after all that though Smile

[quote="Ulrich"]
Sorry Jane, but in order to be safe we should consider respecting both windsurfers' and kiters' wish lists.

[quote="Jane"]
I didn't mean to neglect any windsurfer wish lists. I think that is a good idea for an article for windsurfing magazine. Sadly through a lot of localism, there seems to be love lost between the windsurfing and kiting communities. Perhaps I have been spoiled in Alameda, as kiters and windsurfers enjoy the water together quite nicely. Maybe helping the community to be more aware of right of way, consideration, safety, etc...we can help bridge that gap.

Sincerely yours,
windsurfing and kiting Jane

alamedakite.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  120.42 KB
 Viewed:  11429 Time(s)

alamedakite.jpg

isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: port starboard Reply with quote

andydavis wrote:
Starboard is not always privileged...there are numerous exceptions:

-A vessel maneuvering (e.g., jibing, or maneuvering away from a proper course to jump a wave) is always burdened.

I'm sorry, guys, but the contradictions we see in all these ROW discussions render them all but moot. For every dude saying "the first guy on the wave rules" there's another -- like above -- saying just the opposite. Many say the "proper course" in waves IS riding or jumping the wave, and anybody else -- including the second guy on the wave -- is the burdened one. And any jiber who knowingly cuts off another jiber approaching a shoreline is just self-centered, rules or no rules.

Thus we have three (arguably four) kinds of sailors trying to coexist: those who give the wave or swell rider the priority, those who say starboard rules, and those who don't even read forums (plus those who don't think swell, no matter how large or rare, doesn't qualify as a wave).

Mike \m/
mogunn

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:41 pm    Post subject: Not all launches are equal Reply with quote

General safety and right-of-way rules are a good baseline but some sites like Coyote require adaptation due to geography, fixed obstacles and use limitations.

First and foremost, Coyote is not a beginner kite area. Kiters must be skilled enough to self-launch, comfortably go and stay upwind and self-land in the water. There should be no expectation that any windsurfer or spectator will assist either launching or landing. If you're not comfortable self-landing your kite in the water Coyote is not the site for you.

Coyote is one of the few sites where launching a kite upwind of the windsurf area is preferred.The mudflat to the west of the windsurf launch is the safest place to setup and launch/land kites. At a medium to low tide there's ample room for several kites and lines to be on the beach. There is very little sharp debris on the mudflat to harm your kite or lines. This is also the safest place to land. If you don't have an assistant to catch your kite land it in the water.

At an extreme low tide it's ok to setup and launch in the windsurf launch area so long as you don't block access for windsurfers. Be aware that the windsurf launch is littered with barnacle-encrusted rocks and the remains of old pier pilings. It's easy to rip your leading edge while flipping your kite when launching/landing. Kite lines are easily damaged when dragged over these obstacles. Windsurfers lay their boards fin-up at this launch because of these sharp objects. Even at low tide, don't launch east of the lower sandbag ramp to maintain a safe distance from the swim area.

Windsurfers and kiteboarders alike, stay out of the swim area!

Kiters and windsurfers peacefully coexist at Coyote as long as each affords the other common courtesy on the water.

Windsurfers-- look before jibing or tacking-- kiters are less easily seen on the water. Windsurfers should give adequate room to kiters launching at the mudflat. Don't leave your rigged gear on the pedestrian path or block the sandbag access ramps either in or out of the water.

Kiters-- look before jumping-- be certain no one is in the downwind path of you or your kite. Don't launch, fly or land a kite over the pedestrian path. Kiters should stay upwind and out of the windsurf launch/land area.

swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars,

Crossing up wave sailing, Gorge sailing, and SF Bay sailing doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Nevertheless, each can include a mix of folks thinking different thoughts based on the scene. Overall, thinking ahead, having a knowledge of the locale and its protocol, and often reacting defensively, adds up to a more realistic session. However, just like the roads out there, you're always going to have some nuts out and about driving us crazy.
beallmd

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The order of decsending hassle factor in dealing with others on the water is; 1. good windsurfers. 2. good kiters. 3. bad windsurfers. 4. bad kiters. As most of us came to realize a while ago, good kiters are not a problem, esp if they were windsurfers. It was very crowded at Maui Sunset of late as it has been the only place to sail, there are a couple of exceptional kiters there who can precisely and safely self launch among the crowd. One of the really good guys was talking the other kiters into moving up the beach to a better launch where there was help... I thanked him for his help making us all safer, the second kiter was very nifty in how he launched among the crowd and I talked to him and grabbed his kite once for him. I said you have got this down here but a lot of guys aren't that good. He said I avoid them too. Exactly. We all size up the oncoming "menace" and give a lot of room or exagerate our intentions early if they are shaky and always watch the kite.
clement

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the protocol for the following that I think i saw happen, or maybe it was a dream, can't remember.

A windsurfer is on a starboard tack into the beach with one leg bitten off by a shark. There is a lot of blood and it looks like maybe his arm is dangling. I am on a kite and want to get out fast to possibly jump the now dozen or so fins snaking in the water.

A kiter is down in the middle of the chaos and perhaps being eaten. His kite is at zenith and not an issue. But he is "first on wave' albeit he is not riding the wave but being dragged thru it by a great white.

A. Do i have right of way at all
B. Can i jump over the dieing kiter, or do i wait till clear
C. Is there a rule against rifling thru the injured folks bags for spare change?
D. Would it be prudent to set up a discount Buy/sell classified section for injured sailors to sell there family to sell their stuff
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was funny Laughing

Has anyone been hit by a kite? I have, and it is a bigger bang than you'd imagine. They should be downwind at all times. Many spots in so. cal have been closed to them, so the remaining spots are getting more crowded.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: