myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Right of Way!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WaveSlayer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the Right of Way list, in order of priority:

Locals Always have ROW
Coloradoans
Texans
All others
Dogs
Canadians

(Admittedly, the Canadians are too high on the list! )
fly50

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have lived in Hood River for about a decade and I am a windsurfer and kiter. I usually kite at the bridge. I have never had a problem like you are describing because I always yield and avoid other people. I feel like I never miss much swell because by the next tack, whoever was in my way is now gone. We are out there for fun and relaxation. We arent in a competition and if you see it that way, its your problem: maybe NASCAR would be better for you. Like Rodney King said "Cant we all just get along?"
flyskiwindsurf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WaveSlayer wrote:
Let the swell rider have fun.
Stop being so gay.
Pull your heads out... there is no ROW.
These are water toys, not vessels!

ummm......speaking of "vessels", as for me, barges ALWAYS have right of way, regardless of "tack". As do every OTHER "vessel", swimmer, etc. who has less or maybe even MORE (taking "tacks" etc. INTO consideration) maneuverability and/or more (or maybe even LESS) mass/momentum/kinetic/potential energy than I, again regardless of "tack". Okay. So I am mostly just C.S. about it so I guess you can "have your way" with me. Up to the point where "I" am (or even WE are) being put in danger or MAYBE even being "taken advantage of" WAY too much over a period of time. But I definitely DON'T want to be "DEAD RIGHT". And ummmm.... what most seem to be saying. Cool
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fly50 wrote:
I always yield and avoid other people. I feel like I never miss much swell because by the next tack, whoever was in my way is now gone.

Only to be replaced within literally ten seconds by several of the OTHER hundred people in the same immediate zoo. I have to avert maneuvers to avoid other people several times every reach when sailing any busy Gorge spot. The problem isn't "whoever was in my way" or "next tack"; it's almost every moment I'm in any swell between early May and early October. If I always "yielded and avoided" I'd never get to go windSURFing.

\m/
fly50

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Isobars, do you realize you have posted 2770 times on this website? How do you have time to windsurf? Wow! Computer blogger supergeek.
If you aint having fun out there, its your own grumpy fault.
WMP

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I yield all my ROW to any 1,500 lb. sturgeon or to any giant sturgeon ball containing 60,000 fish or more... other than that, will need to debate any issues via peace conference at a later date Cool .
wooot

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He whos "eyes are wider than yours" has the right of way

Meaning if a sailor is obviously just trying to survive and make across the river.... give em' some space.

Otherwise it should usually come down to common sense, or a little give and take, depending on the situation.

A little eye contact with another sailor is typically all you need.... if you are riding a swell, etc. just to make sure they know what you are doing, or vise versa.

Windpig
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fly50 wrote:
Mr Isobars, do you realize you have posted 2770 times on this website? How do you have time to windsurf?

I hate to break it to ya, but the Gorge doesn't blow every day. And as everyone knows, most of my posts are simple one-liners.

I also hate to break this to ya, but my posts here are but a drop in the bit bucket.

\m/
River-Lizard

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fly50 wrote:
Mr Isobars, do you realize you have posted 2770 times on this website? How do you have time to windsurf? Wow! Computer blogger supergeek.
If you aint having fun out there, its your own grumpy fault.

I thought your first post was spot on. Then you blew it with this one. Crying or Very sad
fly50

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2780!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: