myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Pedicted $200 Bar. of oil
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gregorvass

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:44 pm    Post subject: Pedicted $200 Bar. of oil Reply with quote

Ein Barrel für 200 Dollar?

Ob Benzin, Plastiktüten oder Kosmetik - jeden Tag benutzen wir Dinge, die aus Erdöl sind. Kein anderer Rohstoff ist für die Weltwirtschaft wichtiger. Lange Zeit war Öl billig. Seit 2007 aber steigt der Preis dramatisch - und ein Ende ist vorerst nicht in Sicht. Inzwischen halten Experten einen Preis von 200 Dollar pro Barrel für durchaus realistisch. Hintergrundinformationen von tagesschau.de

If you dont spik das lingua.

Yes it is Predicted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And we thought we had problems now!!!!!!!!!!!
winterman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what, we need $200 a barrel to cure us of our addiction to oil. In Euro land because of high gas taxes they have a double benefit of
a) the gas price for them has gone up less than 60% vs our 300%
b) they are already into fuel efficient cars so impact of 60% increase is not as hard

As my economics professor at college used to say, "the cure for high prices are high prices"
winterman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to say you can thank congress and the senate for part of the increase too. Thanks to their prolifigate pork barrel spending the $ has dropped in half against the Euro. Milton Friedman may have said inflation is everywhere and always a monetary phenomenom (or something like that), but he he should have said that the only good government is a government that is too inept to pass any bills because our legislature is f..ing up our country with all the unnecessary costs they are adding to it.

The coming government bail out of Fannie and Freddie to the tune of $1 trillion (with a T) is only going to make that big sucking sound coming from the $ worse.
jp5

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eat lots of french fries and make Bio-diesel.
swchandler

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having a full sized van that gets 13.5-14.5 miles per gallon just means less driving around for wind. It's long paid for though, so I'm not like some poor stiff that just bought his $35-40K full sized SUV in the last year or two and still has years to go to pay it off, while its worth is sinking like a stone.

While I intend to keep the van forever, but I wonder about adding a more economical vehicle to the mix. Often small economical vehicles use premium fuel, and that's an added cost penalty that makes any potential fuel savings less notable from a cost standpoint. Diesel is looking more reasonable all the time, but not much out there, especially in the form of a stationwagon.

Overall, time will shed more light on the situation.
theq

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

winterman wrote:
I forgot to say you can thank congress and the senate for part of the increase too. Thanks to their prolifigate pork barrel spending the $ has dropped in half against the Euro. Milton Friedman may have said inflation is everywhere and always a monetary phenomenom (or something like that), but he he should have said that the only good government is a government that is too inept to pass any bills because our legislature is f..ing up our country with all the unnecessary costs they are adding to it.

The coming government bail out of Fannie and Freddie to the tune of $1 trillion (with a T) is only going to make that big sucking sound coming from the $ worse.

You forgot to thank the Bush administration for its mismanagement of virtually everything it touched. Oil was what, around $30 per barrel when the BushOilCo took office? Now it's around $142. Let's see, Bush, Cheney, and Condileeza, all had big ties to big oil. I'd go out on a limb and say that they probably still do, connected by a gold chain and a red carpet. Lynn Cheney is, or was, on the board of directors at Lockheed Martin. So, where's all that money been going? War machine makers and oil companies. Do you believe that this is just some lucky coincidence? Why is that congress' fault?

The housing crisis, well, that's not entirely Bush's fault. The fault for that rests in the lap of an impotent congress, afraid to regulate anything anymore, for fear of their corporate donors cutting them off. Greed is good, for the greedy that is.

The weak dollar has very little association with what congress has done. Monetary policy is run much more by BushCo than it is by Congress, as the Federal Reserve Chairman is chosen by POTUS, not Congress. It's more from expensive wars being fought with borrowed and printed dollars instead of pay-as-you-go through tax increases. What you're seeing is the BushCo "miracle" of design work, that you can spend more money while making less. Nothing bad will happen. It's sort of a "fishes and loaves" thing, except the men behind the curtain, loading up the nets and plates with magical bounty, are the Chinese, Arabs, Europeans, and the printer. Problem is, some day they're going to want their compensation. Perhaps they're being compensated by being allowed to buy up America?

Didn't some AbuDhabi (?) investment group buy 75% of the Chrysler Building yesterday? I guess there are no protections against entities owning as much land as they can grab. If you can monopolize the land, well, you monopolize the land. It's all part of the game. The game in which America is presently getting its ass handed to it, served up on the last existing "Made in America" platter.

In addition, the Carlyle Group, an investment company in which George H.W. Bush and James Baker III, own a large stake, is somehow affiliated with an investment group in Abu Dhabi. I read this on wikipedia while checking out info on Carlyle. I thought it was an interesting point, considering my comment on the Abu Dhabi buyout of the majority of the Chrysler Building. According to wikipedia:

The Partnership

Carlyle has only allowed two outsiders to buy into its partnership.[7] The first is the California Public Employees' Retirement System (CalPERS), who "own a 5.5% stake in the company that is estimated to be worth about $1 billion."[7] The second is Mubadala Development Company - "an investment group owned by the government of Abu Dhabi, which is part of the United Arab Emirates."[7] In September of 2007, they bought a "7.5 percent share of [Carlyle's] general partnership for $1.35 billion."[7]

I wonder if that investment was one of CalPERS' only winners of late? It could be, in this fine Bush "grown" economy.
capetonian

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh goody, another political thread since there is no wind in the forecast.
MCDORO

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

capetonian....Where are you? Your post is dated tomorrow. Theq's too..

I may be missing something....You in Europe? Australia? These posts are all Zulu time?

Romo
swchandler

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankly, I can't resist because I know the theQ is right on target with his comments

Really though, it's getting back to nealpar's original view about the younger generation as highlighted in the other recent thread here, and I have to unfortunately concede, those quite a lot older that don't have a clue.

I can't believe that we've been encumbered by the foolishness and irresponsibility of the Bush/Cheney administration, but many total airheads out there thought that Bush/Cheney needed to be elected to promote the cause for war and nonsense. Certainly, we have paid a dear price.

I worry greatly about our course. Often we have been dragged down by those that lack the vision and responsibility to chose better, and we all suffer as a result. Quite honestly, I pity those in the military that are being used so terribly. Oh yeah, "we need to support the troops and their mission". Unfortunately, the path is being directed by fools who really don't care about anything more than "big oil".

And we all must remember that Kerry's interest in windsurfing was viewed as too "elitist". You think all the airheads out there give a rat's ass about windsurfing, or anything that matters to us on the coast or local waterways.

No doubt, I worry about how the younger generation is being informed. Too much celebrity BS and goofy electronic nonsense out there. One only wonders what's important in their world.

Don't bet it's windsurfing.
SWE106

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's a good post: high oil prices also affect our windsurfing. If not because it is now 3x more expensive to drive to your favo spot(s) compared to 4 yrs ago, which may mean less windsurfing (equipment), it is also because windsurf equipment prices are, and will sky rocket. Oil is the basis for almost all our monofilms, pvc's, foam's fibers, etc. Polypropylene, the basis for all most all plastics, such as monofilm, xply, pvc, etc is now 45% more expensive. Start counting what your new 2009 sails will cost... Not to mention what that will do to the prices of 2009 boards.

On an other note. Thanks to the boeing dreamliner and Asia's booming economy, carbon has become pretty scarce.... and we know what that means: expensive masts, booms, extensions, boards etc...

In the not so distant future, (2-4yrs from now) and with the continued crude-material price increases, even when leveling-off substantially, I forsee $2000 boards and $750 dollar sails.

Unfortunately, oil prices are not a simple supply and demand product. Speculation on financial markets may contribute upto 60-70% of the current price inflation. Congress and da-moneky-in-da-white-house have failed to curb these speculations: trading oil hand-to-hand and each hand holds some profit until the product finally reaches the consumer.

On the other hand, considering global warming, metropolian air polution issues, foreign oil-dependcy etc, the current high prices may finally spurr us into the right direction of consuming less. Surely high prices alone will not solve the problems completely, (50-70% reduction in CO2 emissions are predicted to be needed by 2030 to halt global warming... and that is so much in such a short time that we maybe should start to consider failure & defeat), but may kickstart some crucial developments. On a somewhat speculative note: Considering that fewer miles are being driven due to higher gasoline prices (fact), we may see a drop in traffic related accidents and fatalities (speculation sofar). The less fortunate: elderly and young people, that are also the highest risk groups, may be forced to let their car stand more often, resulting in saver roads (theory). One saved human live is already worth sky-high gasoline prices (fact).

Two other issues:
1) Being Dutch, I know what real high gas prices are and mean. Right now most europeans are paying ~1.5 euro per liter (grade 95..., 98 is 10 euro cents more expensive): ~$9 per gallon!!! Car's are indeed, and wisely so, more fuel efficient in europe than in the US: 35mpg vs 25 mpg on average (2004 data), respectively. Hence, in europe they pay ~$0.25 per mile, whereas in the US (~$4 pg national average) we pay ~$0.16 per mile. Not much difference you may think. But, that's $1100 per year less (based on the US average of 12,000 miles driven annually) out of your wallet compared to a europen portmoney. So who is feeling the high gas prices more?
2) Small economical vehicles do NOT need premium fuel, that's absolute bogus. Sport's cars may do, but those are not small economical vehicles!

Keep up posts like this, windsurfing is so much more than just windsurfing. Our great sport is connected to life and all its radiant and vibrant aspects!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: