myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
sick day
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ericandholly

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a nice shot!
Lance

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it appears there is no free speech in this forum. my posts have been altered from their original content without explanation or warning.

sup admin?
masterblaster

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: thursday Reply with quote

stevenson was a serious 4.2---3.7 the best day there i can remember..amazing....the fly
WMP

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:07 pm    Post subject: sick.... sicker.... sickest Reply with quote

I'd just like to know why these "sick" warm wind kiters hibernate in winter when the "sicker" east winds are delivering seriously sicker 2.8 conditions at Stevenson and a few of us sick, sicker, and sickest windsurfers are getting the REAL SICKEST days ??
Lance

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: sick.... sicker.... sickest Reply with quote

WMP wrote:
I'd just like to know why these "sick" warm wind kiters hibernate in winter when the "sicker" east winds are delivering seriously sicker 2.8 conditions at Stevenson and a few of us sick, sicker, and sickest windsurfers are getting the REAL SICKEST days ??

not me i'm snowkiting. fresh pow up fresh pow down.
Mulekick84

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiting is a SLOOOW MOTION sport. I'm with WMP, I'm looking for the man vs. nature days!
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mulekick84 wrote:
Kiting is a SLOOOW MOTION sport.

That was on my "Cons" list, too, until a kite consistently passed me in big terrain and big wind. Turns out that some kiters, or at least one so far, can outrun B&J windsurfers in a beam or broad reach. I was surprised and impressed, and felt that little flutter in my loins that first interested me in windsurfing.

Thanks for the loin flutter, Mulvey. Ya almost persuaded me there.

Mike \m/
WMP

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
Mulekick84 wrote:
Kiting is a SLOOOW MOTION sport.

Turns out that some kiters, or at least one so far, can outrun B&J windsurfers in a beam or broad reach. I was surprised and impressed, and felt that little flutter in my loins that first interested me in windsurfing.

Mike \m/

I'd be interested in meeting up with this gun slinger during a fully powered "sick day" when dialed in the zone... I've not met a kiter yet who can pass me on a beam, nor broad, nor a rocking 'R' when I know they're there to challenge me.... maybe they've all given up on me?

Biggest reason for not going to the dark side for me is the amount of trouble these kiters constantly get themselves into... dang, it's a high maintenance sport... always need to do the groupie thing to launch in the Gorge and stay safe. The amount of expense for lost & damaged gear.... as well as risk factors on their bodies sustaining injuries far exceed those of windsurfing. I'd rather stick with something that doesn't have as many high risk booby traps, yet has a longer, more sustained stoke factor especially in those more extreme wind, water & swell "sick days".

But...... to each their own?
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This gunslinger just may be your downfall. He came in awfully close on the heels of the Blowout winner a couple of years ago, and is the ballsiest WSer-now-kiter I've known personally for almost 20 years. I agree he would have his hands full catching the fastest B&J sailors, but I could not fend him off in my maxed-out broad reach. He has something like 30-40% greater speed than any other kiter I'd ever encountered on the water. He admitted he was trying his damnedest to pass me, but he did, even if by just a few percent, and once I saw who it was I was trying my damnedest, too.

This was on relatively flat water, maybe knee-to-thigh-high, but he doesn't back off one whit in overhead swell. Other than big air and 2.8 wind, I had never seen a kite do anything impressive before. If I had half his skill, one of his balls, and half my age, I'd be a little more tempted to add a kite to my quiver.

Naaaaah; your other considerations still win the argument for me.

Mike \m/
Lance

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

each sport has aspects that the other cannot match for sure. but the thing that kiting has for me that is so facinating is hang time.

boosting waves going out to sea... gorge chop with a back roll or launching a windswept cornice.

that feeling of flying and the power of the kite- keeps me warm and fuzzy year round.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: