myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Pro Matt Pritchard FREE Clinic, Demo, BBQ August 2-3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windbetty

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:06 pm    Post subject: Pro Matt Pritchard FREE Clinic, Demo, BBQ August 2-3 Reply with quote

Matt Pritchard is coming to town! We will be hosting a free Matt P. Tips & Tricks Clinic, Tabou board Demo, and Happy Hour BBQ. Come learn from the pro and improve your jibes, learn how to loop, learn how to wave sail...and more!

Clinic / Demo / BBQ
Date: Sat/Sun Aug 2-3
Time: 1pm-6pm
Place: Boardsports School & Shop San Mateo
Cost: FREE (no sign ups required)

Jane & Rebecca
Boardsports School & Shop
http://www.boardsportsschool.com/

7742c09855.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  13.14 KB
 Viewed:  27380 Time(s)

7742c09855.jpg

743bb423c7.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  4.39 KB
 Viewed:  27380 Time(s)

743bb423c7.jpg

windbetty

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we are also offering a special Tabou 87 & 97 3S SALE coinciding with the free board demo that weekend....$200 OFF either model at the event. The board retails for $1399, so $1199 is the sale price and these boards are awesome! They accelerate on to a plane and are super smooth in the chop. They are great at bump and jump, wave riding, or freestyle.

a little about the 3S...

3S

In the last 2 seasons, the 3S has proven to be one of the best boards in our range. When you combine 3 styles into one board, you have to be focused to deliver the goods. We have taken 2 years of feedback and developed a completely new range based on YOUR feedback. The new graphics are some of the coolest designs in the range and will make your friends green with envy!
3S 87 and 97
We wanted to get better turning and a fraction more wave abilities from these boards.
We pulled the tail in and complemented this with a new rocker that delivers tighter turns, a higher top end speed and quicker acceleration. The rails are thinner enabling more grip and an easier ride!

CONSTRUCTION
The entire board is covered in super tuff double sandwich construction giving a skin thickness of about 8-10mm depending on location. You can actually see the carbon Kevlar weave through the surface of the deck. These boards are really super tuff without any weight penalties.

tabou 3s.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  50.43 KB
 Viewed:  27177 Time(s)

tabou 3s.jpg

chibichibi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have an 87 3S on order, this baby better not dissapoint. anyone riding this year's green mermaid version on the bay?
VinceSF

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:50 pm    Post subject: Go to Crissy and ask around Reply with quote

chibichibi wrote:
i have an 87 3S on order, this baby better not dissapoint. anyone riding this year's green mermaid version on the bay?

That board seems to be very popular among the crissy crowd, and I gather it is not only because it has a perky boob drawn on it.
Too bad they don't make an even smallet version of it for us super light weight...
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kind of like hanging art or photos of nudes on your wall at home. Quite a strong graphic statement for a broad based marketable product for the general public, as not everyone wants to make that kind of message in what they buy or do.

Hey, I'm sure Tabou must have considered that in their product development process. No really strong judgments on my part, but I personally find it's often hard to relate to European graphic statements, even those that are not subject related. Many times, their production graphics just don't make in my book, but admittedly, I'm very picky about that sort of thing.
chibichibi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject: windsurfing graphics Reply with quote

it's true, the 08 3S graphics are a bit extreme on the possible un-PC front. but i am going for it. aside from there being a nude silhouette as the central design focus the overall graphics are well beyond what other companies are doing. i wouldn't say this is "european" design. in fact, it's not progressive, it's just current with modern graphic design. take for example Fanatic, what is with those graphics? kinda lame i would say. most windsurfing board companies could do a lot better. if they'd just take somes subtle cues from snowboard and skateboard graphic trends over the last 10 years. tabou is atleast taking some progressive risk. hats off to them.
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have to remember that European companies are the dominant leaders in the strong spectrum of current production brands out there. No major US brands right now in the production sphere. But maybe I'm not properly recognizing out of the mainstream folks like Real Wind. Although different, I'm thinking that Rob and Laurie do quite well in the scheme of things from what I see.

I have to agree about Fanatic, and also F2, producing less than acceptable graphics from my perspective, but honestly, that not really new in my mind. I've never associated with the strength of their graphic designers. Understated stronger presentations would be much better from my perspective.

The only major European brand doing the strong graphic job is Starboard, but that only my opinion. Their graphics have real class from my perspective. Maybe that's why they're the leader in sales.

Needless to say, looks aren't always the best example of performance charactieristics. Still though, would you own the ugly dog and feel great about it?
chibichibi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i totally agree about Starboard. i just bought last year's 101 Carve recently. adimittedly their visual brand identity and clean yet hip graphic look were a contributing factor to my purchase. but the ride is like butter. no one can deny the Carve's reputation as once a leader in the freeride category. compared to my old Naish titan, well, there is no comparison. less is more when it comes to design. Naish does a decent job at nice clean graphic work on their boards. There sails on the other hand i feel have way too many color panels and gratuitous sheen. But perhaps they sail well. Fanatics are well regarded by a lot of very high level riders. Being an art director, I am all for the good looking dogs. but typically when you're out there on a plane, totally dialed in, all those graphics just disappear. i am hoping this tabou mermaid is not too much of an eye sore.
jakethesnake

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="swchandler"]We have to remember that European companies are the dominant leaders in the strong spectrum of current production brands out there. No major US brands right now in the production sphere.

I have to disagree with you since Quatro and Goya are US based companies and growing in the US market. Boardsports School is also one of our dealers and has demos as well! Check us out at www.quatrointernational.com and www.goyawindsurfing.com and I bet you will like our graphics as well! Plus there are some cool videos as well Smile
swchandler

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Jake, you're right. I guess I forgot about Quatro and Goya, and now that I think about it, Angulo too. I don't know if they're measuring up in sales numbers with the big European brands, but you have to give them credit for throwing their irons in the fire. Given Cobra International's huge production role in the manufacturing process, it does open the door for a broader spectrum of board designer/shapers to participate.

But I have to be frank, I've pretty much been dedicated to buying custom boards since 1992. I did buy a JP in 2000, but it turned out to be a terrible board, and it really kind of soured me on buying the production stuff.

However, I've been trying to get a Starboard Serenity since August of last year, but so far Starboard hasn't been able to deliver the Starboard bag that's crucial to the deal. I should point out that I'm trying to get it through Rebecca at Boardsports School, and she's been great. Yet, buying stuff that's made on the other side of the world is often frustrating.

chibichibi, I probably was maybe a bit harsh in my opinion about much of the graphics on boards out there, but like I said I'm very picky about that kind of stuff. My college degree was in fine art, so visual statements have always been quite important from my perspective. But as you correctly noted, when you're out and about on the water the graphics tend to disappear. Also, beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: