myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Is there an update regarding kiting at Leo?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gwilstein

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Is there an update regarding kiting at Leo? Reply with quote

Just wondering if there is any new information regarding kiting access at Leo Carillo.

Seemed like there was a new crew of kiters who were jumping in the congested near the rock and just outside. Apparently the lifeguards don't seem to think that the kiters are dangerous to us in the water, only on the beach. The guards must be waiting for an injury or death on the water before they get serious about keeping the kiters down in the bay.

Any updates from anyone who knows the status or what is being discussed will be appreicated. If nothing is being done we will end up being overtaken by kiters. It may be time to take this to the next level. Possibly contacting the City of Malibu, city officials, and the two local newspapers.

Let's use this forum to create a plan that may help us, we have nothing to lose.

Kathy W.
FredBGG

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kathy you are right that a kitesurfer jumping high ( I'm guessing you are
refering to boosting with the kite rather than hopping over a wave) is being an complete twat.
If a kiter that is riding there wants to pop a jump he can do it safety by just going 30 to 50 feet downwind of the other kiters and windsurfers.
When ever you boost with a kite you fly downwind.
The area you are refering to is for surfing the wave, be it with a surfboard, a windsurfer or a kite.
With the right respect for everyone we can share the area.
Kiters (and I am one, but was an avid windsurfer before) can easily more a few 100 feet or so downwind to boost big oldshool jumps. We can do it off waves or flat water... basicly anyware.
The kiters are trying to police the few idiots that just have to show off.
There is already a thread on ikitesurf about who you are probably complaining about.
As for me I will only come in at the slot when there is plenty of room
and I when in doubt I gust give way and exchange a smile or a thumbs up.

As for taking this to the next level I would be very carefull.
You are more likely to get a full ban of both kiting and windsurfing.

I have seen dangerous behavior by both kiters and windsurfers at Leo.
All it would take is a disgruntled and banned kitesurfer to take a windsurfing mast to Malibu City Hall and demonstate how well it can destroy a watermellon or something when it slams down....
How long and sharp the fins of a windsurfing board are....
How dangerous a sail with ridgid mast and boom is while tumbling in a big wave....
Don't get me wrong I'm not making a threat... I love to see you windsurfers out there.. particularly beautifull at sunset....
Saw a very talented lady windsurfing the surf one evening.
She made the most of each and every wave in the dying wind.
It was quite something to watch... thanks for the show!
Most of the local kiters are a very good crowd and the same goes for the windsurfers. Unfortunatly there are bad apples here and there.
I have been dragged in by a windsurfer once at north beach and returned the favor a couple of times.

Cheers

Fred

PS I think it would be cool if kiters an windsurfer had a few meetings to discuss stuff and smooth things out. I think part of the problem is windsurfers that have never kited and don't understand the dynamics and the same goes for kiters that don't understand windsurfing.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windsurfing is not at risk. Kiting however is. My discussions with the life guards has been very clear. They are not happy with kites coming through the slot. They are waiting to see just how much traffic the slot can take, and are in the process of determining right of way rules. They have moved kiters down wind for launching but a hand full insist on kiting the slot, even when there's no surf. This is insane behavior, especially with regard to the fact that lifeguards have already announced that kiters should stay downwind of sailors. (basic right of way)
Basic logic is: Kiters have already lost 80% of launches over the last 3 years. All it will take to loose the next 20% is an accident or an angry lifeguard.
tony

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leo Carillo is a state beach, so I do not think that the City of Malibu would have any jurisdiction. My preference is to point out individual dangerous behavior by anyone (kiters, windsurfers or surfers) to the lifeguards.

I, too, saw one kiter on Tuesday repeatedly boost while quite close to windsurfers and other kiters. I would say that he showed good skills but poor judgment. For everyone to coexist out there it is important not just to be able to sail safely, but also not to sail in a way that appears dangerous to others. [Didn't we just have this same discussion in regard to MP3 players?]
gwilstein

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replys

By the way, this particular kiter, who was boosting, was wearing an MP3 player. He needs to realize how very dangerous he is to others and that he could jeopardize the kiters access by his reckless behavior.

I don't think windsurfing will get banned, but kiting could be on the line. They have already been removed from North Beach and sent down into the bay at Leo Carillo. I'm not looking for the City of Malibu to have jurisdiction nor the 2 local papers, just hopefully some public acknowledgement/pressure of the impending possible disaster at Leo.

Am curious as to how long the lifeguards need to determine that the windsurfing area is overcrowded with kiters.

By the way, I do appreciate the kiters who kite respectfully and with safety. You guys/gals are a class act!

Kathy W
FredBGG

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steven

True that windsurfing is less likely to be banned, but keep in mind one thing.
City officials look at everything from one point of view...who is the majority. Beach goers or windsurfers. It translates to votes...good by windsurfers.
The lifeguards are the ones to talk to here.
The good thing is that the majority of them are into water sports and understand the situation more.

I think one of the biggest problems is that while with windsurfing it takes a lot of skill and practice to become even modestly good in the waves or doing tricks, while with kitesurfing relative beginners can do some pretty wild stuff.
Wisdom come with experience. When it comes to windsurfing due to the
streep learning curve skill automatically comes with some wisdom Wink

Anyway if it's of some consolation there is a thread on www.ikitesurf.com
hounding the guy who was jumping in the surf area.

Cheers

Fred
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read the kite forum and it is clear that there are dark clouds on the horizon for kiters. Just check out the Huntington Beach forums. HB was shut down completely for kiting on the weekends last week. It is unclear as to whether this means it will become a complete ban or not. It is clear however that the guards were pissed off. (do they allow kiting at Cabrillo?)

This also means Malibu will become more crowded as many turn north. Rules about right of way and jumping will become more important if they want to preserve the right to kite. Sweeping the shallows at Leo will kill the sport if someone hits a rock and blows over the crowded beach.

As soon as the guards at Leo hear about the other bans I'm sure it will enable them to enforce more restrictions here.
*Matt*

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenbard wrote:
(do they allow kiting at Cabrillo?)

From the local knowledge:

On a very crowded windy day on the surfside of Cabrillo Beach there will be about 100 to 150 windsurfers (but no kiters on weekend days between Memorial Day and Labor Day).

This is an advanced kite surfing area. Kite surfers are asked to launch downwind and stay downwind of windsurfers for the first 300 yards off shore. Watch out for boats beyond the point. As noted above, kites are banned during summer weekends.
FredBGG

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At Cabrillo Kites are not banned. Launching is banned at the beach.
If you can swim out and drift launch the lifeguards are perfectly happy to let you kite any day of the year.
You also have to do a water packdown.
Obviously you need to do this at least 200 feet out.

I would not exactly classify it as an advanced kitesurfing area.
The launch is pretty nasty... gusty shifty winds, but once you are out there it is a pretty mellow spot unless its nuking.

I have also drift launched from a boat out beyond the breakwater.

Definatly not a spot for learning though unless you launch from a boat and are assisted by the boat.
jp5

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allow me to repeat Bull's rant on another post that this shameless self-promotion from Ass-penkula is wrong and does nothing to encourage people to buy their junk imitation foot wear. iWindsurf has been SPAMMED! Evil or Very Mad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: