myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Is there an update regarding kiting at Leo?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theq

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Traig makes some good points, and I don't believe that he was referring to Friday's incident when he spoke about "bullys". Perhaps I'm wrong.
It's true that the surfers made the same arguments about windsurfers being able to go outside and blast around, why did they have to get into the waves at all? I heard it many times from my surfing, non-windsurfing brother. So now we windsurfers are throwing the same stuff at the kiters. There is some hypocrisy in this, from myself included.
I, for one, have no problems with kiters per se, at all. It's just that the outstretched lines concern me a bit and make put me on edge when I go beneath them. Now Traig, Boaz, George C., and other experienced kiters are very good with their lines and I never worry about them. However, there are guys that show up who I don't recognize that bring them down a bit low while I'm passing beneath for my tastes. There's also the matter of a kiter's ability to make a quicker transition, thereby clogging up the slot and having as much potential for wave hogging as "bus-stopping". Personally, I make an effort to "clear" myself out of the lineup and go out pretty far before heading back in. I look it like a half-court basketball game, where you have to clear the ball past half-court before coming in for the score. At least I think that I remember that rule. Hmm....? Age. Anyway, similar rules for sailing the slot might be appropriate. I've seen Traig head to the outside before charging back in. Perhaps it's for the same reason? Something to consider should we ever have such a dialog about such things.
Common wave etiquette should also be in force and effect. Those with a non-surfing background may need a course. Those who may have forgotten may need a refresher.
True, I suppose we must police our own, or perhaps the powers will take the spot from all of us. However, casual enforcement through peers is not working very well and we may need to have something a bit more formal.
Kiters and windsurfers do share a common love of their ocean sports, and both want to keep doing them at Leo and surrounding areas. Should we open up a civil dialog on this, or should we just snipe, insult, gripe, and lose respect, ground, and friends, over this stuff?
This is getting a bit ugly lately. Hatfield and McCoy type stuff. No?
Somehow we need to chill out and formulate a peace/safety plan that everyone can live with. Otherwise someone else might plan it for us by taking the easiest way out, which could be a total ban.

(I edited out a suggestion to have some sort of informal meeting, as a wee hour reality check trumped late night delirium. It made sense at near midnight, but lost it at 3:30 A.M.)

Last edited by theq on Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:06 am; edited 3 times in total
nealpar

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, the lifeguards at Leo are well familiar with Bard's history and character.

I am also familiar with the shifting alliances at Leo. They change by the week and the seasons. When the truth comes out, some will be truly ashamed of who they associated or allied with.

I hope those of Bard's allies with no kids or recentlty lost family members remember Bard's "I have a family and you don't" therefore you have no purpose in life rant.

I hope that those who made false statement to the police and therefore committed the crime of interfering with a criminal investigation sleep well at night. What goes around comes around.

I wonder if those who have decided to hate a person without ever having sat down face to face and have a conversation with them, or had the chance to get to know them, ever take the time to think about the real reason they dislike that person?
stupop

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

koogzah wrote:
stupop wrote:

Lets not make this a "safety" issue and call it what it is. A turf war.

And the ironic thing is that the war is over worthless, windless turf.

Perhaps you should give kiting a try. Had an awesome sesh today, lit up on my big kite. Saw some windsurfers trying to get out but there was just not enough wind for them.

BTW theq. Well said! If we can all have this kind of attitude we can all have fun together.
I tend to ride at Sherman Island quite a lot during the summer and by and large kiters and windsurfers ride together, respect each other and all share the stoke. No reason it can't happen here too.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nealpar wrote:
Due to the fact that there is an ongoing investigation, I will not comment on details of this truly sad incident at this point. Keep talking. My printer has plenty of paper!

The lawyer has spoken. I for one will not allow a nice guy to be taken down by lies. Divert attention to me if you will, but in the end this is just proof of how evil people can be.

The original intent of this thread was safety. It doesn't change the fact that lifegaurds all over the state are restricting kiting. It doesn't change the fact that they announced that kiters should stay downwind of windsurfers. It doesn't change the fact that on Maui they require kites to be downwind of sailors. I can state here that I emphatically do not want kiting to be limited any further than it has.

As for me and the guards, I get along with them well. One must not forget that mr. T was one of them 15 years ago. Coincidence, maybe?
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nealpar wrote:
I am also familiar with the shifting alliances at Leo. They change by the week and the seasons. When the truth comes out, some will be truly ashamed of who they associated or allied with.

I hope that those who made false statement to the police and therefore committed the crime of interfering with a criminal investigation sleep well at night. What goes around comes around.

I wonder if those who have decided to hate a person without ever having sat down face to face and have a conversation with them, or had the chance to get to know them, ever take the time to think about the real reason they dislike that person?

What does all this really mean?
koogzah

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stupop wrote:
koogzah wrote:

And the ironic thing is that the war is over worthless, windless turf.

Perhaps you should give kiting a try. Had an awesome sesh today, lit up on my big kite.

Thanks, but no need. I live and sail in norcal. Kiting would definitely be the right call down south, though. I suffered through a couple of years at Leo. Never again.
nealpar

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenbard wrote:
The lawyer has spoken. I for one will not allow a nice guy to be taken down by lies. Divert attention to me if you will, but in the end this is just proof of how evil people can be.
As for me and the guards, I get along with them well.

First, the lies are all yours Steven Bard. You have lied above about the incident and continue to do so. Those who witnessed the incident from beginning to end know the truth. Emphasis on the words: "from beginning to end". Not just the part about the parties screaming at each other. Selective memory is a tired but all too familiar tactic. I suggest you talk with Lucoff and ask him if he wants you representing him this way.

I, along with a large group of people are on to you Steven Bard. You're sorely mistaken if you believe that you can ever intimidate me in any form. I still remember well your attempt to run your board into me last season and screaming obscenities at the top of your lungs. Fortunately for you, your equipment missed. Fortunately for you, you didn't have the guts to touch me during your verbal assault.

This game won't be played twice. I've learned much from this experience, and it also confirmed to me once and for all that my intuition about people is dead-on!

I suggest you take your 6'5" clump of stinky sebacious gland buildup and squirt it around somewhere else. Wink
boggsman1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the outside looking in, from my NorCal perch:
This whole thing is like a bad episode of Baywatch. Are you guys kidding? or is this real?

Boggsman
jp5

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly Boggs, it is real.
tsokat

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boggs, speaking of tv shows, if this isn't a case for Judge Judy, I don't know what is.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: