myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
kite v. windsurfer = bogus
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andymc4610

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:05 am    Post subject: kite v. windsurfer = bogus Reply with quote

the whole kiting is going to overtake WS is a bogus prognostication. here is the proof. All these sports were suposed to eliminate the other...but did not.

-WS would end Surfing.
-snow Bd. would end skiing
-wake boarding would end water skiing
-kiting would end WS
-Mt biking would end Rd bikes
karlos11

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wise words. you are a genius.
pacspeed

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theres a big difference between "ending" and "overtaking".

Mt Biking DID overtake road biking. Way bigger market

Wakeboarding DID overtake waterskiing. Way bigger market.

Snowboarding DID overtake skiing, at least for a while. It may be back on top now, but the 90's were all about the boarding.

I don't ever remember anyone saying windsurfing was going to end, or even come close to touching surfing, at least if we're talking number of participants, gross revenue, cultural impact, or pretty much any metric you chose.

Kiting will not "end" windsurfing, though I think it's clear kiting is on a growth curve, and windsurfing in decline. Whether that trend can be reversed, a'la the freeskiing revolution that revitalized the ski industry in the early 00's (possibly starting in the '98 Nagano games with Johnny Moseley's blowout freestyle/mogul sickness), remains to be seen.

The things that limit the sport's growth are not going away time soon: Long learning curve. Expensive equipment. Limited access and suitable conditions. Bulky, complicated gear. You can point to Konas and Formula boards and low cost Kids programs, but the bottom line is, people want performance wave and freeride sailing, and to do it all AND include those lightwind/low cost/easy learning setups is a serious commitment of time, money, and sheer storage space.

Kiting is a whole 'nuther ball game. You buy the good gear right off the bat, for about half the cost of a single nice w/s setup, you are up and riding in a few days, and the whole mess can go in the trunk of a normal car, or on an airplane, or in your closet, or wherever.

Anyhow, enough of my ranting, I think the bottom line is both sports are awesome, and worth learning. I'm personally going with the 9m and up is kiting, 4.7 and down is windsurfing. I can't friggin' wait to see which one comes next!
sdunn

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4.7 and down has always been Windsurfing.
5.0 and up will always be Mt. Biking. Smile
WMP

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiting.... at over $1,000 a pop, kites are way more spendy especially when you figure they only last a few years. Kites can be a pain with blackberry bushes everywhere in the gorge, right? If those kites get a few thorns in 'em (I've seen it happen), good luck trying to fly 'em.... repairs suck.

Windsurfing..... old school gear at swap meets = great deals. I sailed yesterday with an old board that's been sitting behind my garage for a few years... bought it 15 years ago for $250. I rigged a very old NW 5.7 sail that I got for FREE. Great time, cheap setup, easy to rig, on the water faster than a kite... and BAM, no troubles even when the wind died and I made it back to shore completely dry. Alright, sesh wasn't as efficient as a kite, but same goes for kites in 2.8 - 4.7 conditions when windsurfing takes the crown.
rowenaman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KB leads the way for kids considering either sport. Several years ago I helped to start my son windsurfing, we'd sign out the floaty gear at The Hook and eventually he made it to the Marina (when there was water there). Now at age 15 he has zero interest in windsurfing, and 100% interest in kiteboarding. He ol dad still loves to WS and will always be ripping it up on 4.5 or less days; but we are learning to kite together.

It's not a better or worse thing, but from the eyes of a kid - the big air and hang time just looks more fun (and he has been to WS freestyle events).

On the cost, KB is tons more expensive. I have a garage full of gear for WS I mostly bought at the many swap meets. Still sail very workable gear that is 7-8 years old. On kites, buying anything over 2-3 years old makes no sense. I certainly don't have the $ to buy separate gear for my kid - so he uses a 4M as a trainer and as he gets older, his summer jobs will contribute to the cost. Ironic, because I have everything he needs to WS.

In any case, both sports are tons of fun! Very Happy
andymc4610

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without raw data, all the above have very close to a 50% market share, with the exception on wakeboarding. although waterskiing has made a real resurgence.

without joining a kite site does anyone know if this is real?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vIzu0K6dAI

even if it's been edited it is sad and funny at the same time. Maybe this is why they moved the kiters on Maui?

put the vid on youtube....

Last edited by andymc4610 on Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WMP wrote:
Kiting.... at over $1,000 a pop, kites are way more spendy especially when you figure they only last a few years. ... Windsurfing, old school gear at swap meets = great deals.

And here's another advantage. When two buds' boards broke in half recently (neither guy is big or very aggro), they were hamstrung until they could research, choose, and buy new boards. One dug out an ancient board, the other began borrowing gear, still missed some sailing, and has been without a primary board for many weeks now (his board's warranty expired about a month before it snapped between his straps). If I break a board, or lose one, or one gets dirty, or I want to sail yellow rather than white today, I just grab another board off the wall. I have several in each size because after having ridden hundreds of Gorge boards from 1990 through 2008, I know what I like, and they cost $50-$200 a pop in mint condition.

Mike \m/
LeeD

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like most of you, I use older (10+years) gear all the time, even thos I have '04 to '07 gear also.
That's the beauty of windsurfing still, it don't cost a lot if you know where to look, or don't need the flashiest, newest, shortest (meaning mast lengths too) type of gear.
Kids are attracted to flash, style and posing points, hence a natural gravitation towards kiteboarding, as well as it's instant gratification.
Surprisingly, some '91 sails match up quite well, in windrange, stability, durability, and speed, to the newest (at least up to '07) sails. And they are about 3 lbs. lighter in weight in a mid 5 sizing.
But still, if I'd had my druthers, I'd take an '08 Naish slalom board with all new sails and masts, fins and straps, over my dilapadated crusty gear any ole day.
Lance

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i still love my f2 sunset slalom.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: