myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
kite v. windsurfer = bogus
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LeeD

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Switching sports doesn't always mean failure at the previous sport. Sometimes, a change for changes sake is not a bad thing.....
I switched from motocross to windsurfing, was riding ExpertPro class and doing OK, but saw the potential for more bodily harm as I got older and more reckless ....to try to stay with the ErikKehoes and Tal/Tycs Vollands,
Gave up surfing also, for windsurfing, and if you guys ever go to OceanBeach SanFrancisco, you'd know I was OK at surfing..... That was a case of a non surfing valley living hot girlfriend who wanted to learn to windsurf, but not surf.
Gave up skiing for snowboarding...think about ONE board, similar position to surfing and windsurfing and skateboarding !! Skied much better in tough terrain than I'd ever snowboard, but jetturning 'WestFace moguls is not exactly a snowboarder's thing...especially with heli's and splits, daffies, and backscratchers thrown in.
Can't really get on peeps case for switching sports, really.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeeD wrote:
I switched from motocross to windsurfing, was riding ExpertPro class and doing OK, but saw the potential for more bodily harm as I got older and more reckless

Precisely why I quit desert racing after missing a year of playtime due to successive injuries.

\m/
LeeD

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kudos to you....
I was deathly afraid of crosscountry or hare or desert racing. You guys don't even get to walk the track, ride 20 practice laps, find every boulder and sandwash, every turn and twist, every jump and bump, every cacti and bush.....
My neighbor 4 houses away was GrandNational #5 in 1956. He got me into roadracing and trying to win the original SundayMorningRide. He also dragged me to watch the InterAm around '66 at ChinaCampSanRafael, which AdolfWeil won on a Maico.
WMP

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Switching sports, never experienced it... just evolved the backcountry ski, mtn. bike and flirted with a kayak.... however windsurfing has always been my big passion... that sense of being 'at home' while out sailing. Outdoor sports nut like everyone else here, never dropped out of anything except PE in high school (managed to get an 'F' in PE, yes I did!). I don't know why anyone would just totally leave a sport they truly love unless there was something else attached (injury, fear of injury, or a bad relationship)... maybe there's more reasons?
flyskiwindsurf

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeeD wrote:
Switching sports doesn't always mean failure at the previous sport. Sometimes, a change for changes sake is not a bad thing.....
Gave up skiing for snowboarding...think about ONE board, similar position to surfing and windsurfing and skateboarding !! Skied much better in tough terrain than I'd ever snowboard, but jetturning 'WestFace moguls is not exactly a snowboarder's thing...especially with heli's and splits, daffies, and backscratchers thrown in.
Can't really get on peeps case for switching sports, really.

Yeah you're absolutely correct. I have often thought that if I was able to "do it all over again", I would snowboard/windsurf/skateboard because they all seem so "similar". However, TOO LATE, plus there are ALREADY way too many things that I am currently NOT doing Exclamation Sad Confused Wink
petroburton

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Darcy the one always showing her cans on the spit and crashing her kite?

No wonder she stuck with windsurfing.
Waterlou

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All sailors (windsurfers, that is) should be really happy that so many people are kiting these days instead of windsurfing. Many of the places I sail are totally jammed with sailors anyway, and more would just make it harder to park and farther to carry our gear.

It is really interesting to see how many young windsurfers are out there the last couple of years though. Lots of them, and they are throwin' it down, or at least trying to.

Is it really true that mountain biking is bigger than road biking? I can see it in an outdoor area like The Gorge, but just a little way west in Portland, the roads are choked with guys wearing fake sponsor jerseys and funky shorts.

H.
andymc4610

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LKHammer wrote:
All sailors (windsurfers, that is)

Is it really true that mountain biking is bigger than road biking? I can see it in an outdoor area like The Gorge, but just a little way west in Portland, the roads are choked with guys wearing fake sponsor jerseys and funky shorts.

H.

Mt. biking is cooler, but less people for sure, way to many commuter/ rd. bikers out there.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just because one has a mountain bike does that mean they ever get on a single track? Same goes for wave boards. How many actually get used for what they were intended? What was that about Facebook? How many humans go around self deluded? I know I sometimes do. :~)

I may have been more attracted to kiting had the marketing not been so seedy. Still, the dependency of having someone catch the kite, and all those lurking dangers are the biggest turnoffs. If some one wants to kite, good for them. If someone endangers me with hot dogging or beginner stupidity, then I may have some issues.

We had a strong westerly gale on Mother's Day. Offshore dayz like that can be crowded. Both Alkita and windsurfers were sharing the same pond. This hack was on an old, and too big kite. He was teabagging right for me and several others. He nearly took out 3 of us. We were not happy. He was getting about a 30 foot up and down moment. At least we didn't act on our anger. Maybe he quit kiting, sure hope so.

Hey look at me kiting in conditions way past my abilities. Hacks, kiting is full of 'em, and they are way more dangerous to themselves and others.

Windsurfing rocks. Cheers.
pierrec45

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:14 am    Post subject: On windsurfing (I don't care about kiting) Reply with quote

Sorry forget which reply)
Quote:
[sorry forget which reply] The things that limit the sport's growth (...) : Long learning curve. Expensive equipment. Limited access and suitable conditions. Bulky, complicated gear. You can point to Konas and (...), but (...) people want performance wave and freeride sailing, and to do it all AND include those lightwind/low cost/easy learning setups is a serious commitment of time, money (...).

Herein lies the problem indeed. If people want all that, then they're not into windsurfing but the looks and are attempting self-coolness (?). Very few achieve the performance you refer to by buying more and more gear (though we see a lot trying). Working at it, freestyle, having fun, teaching others, that's the fun part for me and the way to improve.

However you're right: we live in "I want it now" days - people thinking that anything can just be bought. And beginners giving up easy if it doesn't work right away.

All this reminds me of a kid playing video games at easiest level, getting bored with it after 2 days, then buying more games that will be played at the easy level. Rather than try harder levels.
Quote:
I have kept up with windsurfing and have done well, and I have no intention of quitting. I have a variety of gybes, and some freestyle moves that I keep working on, and I think that is the key to furthering the interest. The one gybe hero thing is over. You dudes have to work on your stuff before you get bored (...)

There you go. Simple as that. Attitude, having fun. The big Tupperware party leads nowhere, the 1-rig-per-knot, this is all a choice of expensiveness.

Whatever your gig, have fun sailing all !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: