myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
NB Q: Have one 7.5m sail need one 2nd smaller (NYC)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaximNYC

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:40 pm    Post subject: NB Q: Have one 7.5m sail need one 2nd smaller (NYC) Reply with quote

Have 7.5m Gaastra matrix (this is freeride). Fill like I need to buy 2nd sail which is smaller - I still learning 7.5 is too difficult to handle when wind picks up.

Should I buy 6 or 6.5? Is there any difference?
What is most frequently used in NY area (by big guys)?

P.S. board 140 Tabou Roket. weight 220lbs
feuser

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: NB Q: Have one 7.5m sail need one 2nd smaller (NYC) Reply with quote

MaximNYC wrote:
Have 7.5m Gaastra matrix (this is freeride). Fill like I need to buy 2nd sail which is smaller - I still learning 7.5 is too difficult to handle when wind picks up.

Should I buy 6 or 6.5? Is there any difference?
What is most frequently used in NY area (by big guys)?

P.S. board 140 Tabou Roket. weight 220lbs

It depends - Where do you sail most and do you intend to sail in the summer only?

If you are able to put in time on the water throughout the year and are progressing quickly you should be looking for a 100l board and 5.7m-6.0m sail soon. Just changing down to a smaller sail size will not significantly increase the range of your board.

I am in NYC and almost always have demo sails for sale. Unfortunately no 6.0 right now...

http://www.windsurfing.kasail.com/
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aerotech has 4 sail models to choose from for rec riders. My favorite all around sail is the 6.2 Phantom. Next fav is the Air X 6.4. Anything in between a 1.0 to 1.5 jump in that size range is fine on the east coast for most sailors.

http://www.aerotechsails.com/

Ciao.
birgit

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject: smaller sail Reply with quote

Hey max.

Look for the smallest size that you can sail on your board.

I would typically recommend 1 sqm jumps but depends on the sail. Some have a bigger range than others.

You will most likely need a fin that goes with your smaller sail.

Think ahead as you will buy a 100 liter board next so the sail also has to fit in the windrange of the new board.

You also will develop a feeling of what sail to use in what windeange. Everybody is different as your angles and weight matter.

As you go down to the smaller sails you want half square meter jumps between sails so you have some overlap in the windranges.

I am on the cape and use a 5.8 a 6.5 and a 7.4 and these all have a nice overlap.

Stick with similar sail types as their windrange also shifts depending on if its a wave or freeride sail.
gkl7

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 5.0, 6.1 and a 7.5, sail mostly at Plumb Beach.
I also have 6.0 Gaastra Pilot for sale or swap. It was sailed only about 15 times.
feuser

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: smaller sail Reply with quote

birgit wrote:
Hey max.

Look for the smallest size that you can sail on your board.

I would typically recommend 1 sqm jumps but depends on the sail. Some have a bigger range than others.

You will most likely need a fin that goes with your smaller sail.

Think ahead as you will buy a 100 liter board next so the sail also has to fit in the windrange of the new board.

Good advice here.

A 100l should be perfect with a 6.0 - 6.4m, whereas that is probably the absolute minimum for the Rocket, and really only with a much smaller fin than the standard.

A power wave/crossover in the low 6m range is actually pretty close in wind range to a 7.5m freeride. I think it all depends on where you want to go with your windsurfing - whether or not you want to expand further into the high-wind/short board thing.

Good luck and see you on the water!

http://www.windsurfing.kasail.com/
PeteCress

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: NB Q: Have one 7.5m sail need one 2nd smaller (NYC) Reply with quote

MaximNYC wrote:
Should I buy 6 or 6.5? weight 220lbs

I'm 220.

My big board is a 145 and my small board is a 106.

I *can* go from a 7.5 to a 6.3, but the overlap is minimal and it felt better when I was going from my 7.5 to the 6.6 that I used to have.

If I were you, I would go for the 6.5.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: