myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Fatality @ Dougs
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SlightlySalty

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott, I wasn't there but understand you did an unblievable job. That's a tough situation. Condolences to family and friends of Damian.
ducks007

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:41 pm    Post subject: media Reply with quote

A very sad story. Prayers and thoughts to all. Sad Will the Portland media pick this story up? I haven't seen anything in the news.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great effort, Scott. Just when we see on the news the people who ignored a badly injured man lying in the street, along comes a story like yours to help balance the scales.

Is this the Gorge's first sailing-related fatality? We've heard of the hypothermia death 20 years ago, plus a couple of suspected heart attacks, but I don't recall hearing of any WSing injury deaths here before.

Maybe this will help convince my bud to strap on his bucket for a few weeks. The guy is very big, a very powerful sailor doing fronts and backs all day, wears only board shorts and a rash guard ... and has three kids under 6. He's has plenty of close calls, including splitting his sternum in half sailing all alone. Let's hope this tragedy does others some good. (I'm still surprised when people razz me about armor, even though it has saved me from injury many times.)

Mike \m/
hrwindsurfing

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:19 pm    Post subject: It's Not the First Sailing Fatality Reply with quote

The first Gorge sailing fatality was the semi-pro baseball player that was at the HR Marina, back in the mid-80's (no Event Site then), found floating by "Bozo Beach". I remember that day, because we were running the Gorge Pro-Am. It was high winds, and I couldn't even hold on to a 3.2. I believe it was a head injury, was found floating face down, no helmet, and had very little experience.

I thought there was a sailor up towards the Tri-Cities that got a rip in their baggie drysuit and drowned also back in the late 80's - 90's.

Then last year in Stevenson (heart attack) on the beach, and also Mosier (found in the water).

This year, don't forget early Spring at the Wall with M. Estes.

At the least the Kiteboarders are doing much better at staying alive!
WMP

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was also a windsurfing death at Viento quite a few years ago... heart attack while sailing I think?

It is quite interesting that there's been no kiteboarding deaths in the Gorge. Interesting also that most of the folks who kite choose NOT to wear helmet.
wmike

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew a guy from Seattle that died about 10 years ago while sailing out of the Event site. It was a very hot 4.0 summer day and his sortie and helmet were left at his vehicle. His rig was found a few miles below the Event site and he was found about 6 miles down the river several days later. Sad
jesusjones

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:05 am    Post subject: Angels in the sky Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad Don't forget to say your prayers. May Damien and his family be in our good thought always.
CUSalin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:45 am    Post subject: Fatality @ Dougs Reply with quote

Scott, having towed sailors and rigs separated from thier owners before, I can only imagine how difficult it must have been to get Damien to shore. I was sailing just downwind from you that day and the conditions were definatley challenging.

I'm sure you did everything you could have done to save Damien and are an example to all of us.

Let's all keep an eye out for each other!

Mike
SamD0g

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This rescue attempt shows tremendous medical know how and lifesaving chops, not to mention physical strength and skill on the water. You are heroes. It is incredible to know that there are folks sailing who posses such training and dedication.

The subject of windsurfing deaths or deaths while windsurfing vs kiteboarding deaths or injuries is pretty broad and deserves a whole new topic. I know there have been many serious and rather gruesome kite injuries, mostly when a rider is dragged or dropped on land, and also quite few head injuries resulting in coma and eventual death. It seems like the windsurfing deaths are often from heart attack or a blow to the head and drowning and rather rare. I do not know for sure. It would be interesting to gather facts on the subject, or at least verifiable data that is not totally hearsay and anecdotal.
River-Lizard

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A tragic incident, my condolences to Damian's family and friends. Scott, I think is important to understand that you did everything you could. There is absolutely no way you could have administered effect CPR in those conditions (in the water & swell). I used to teach life-saving/water rescue skills, and I can tell from your description you did all that was possible, and provided all the assistance that anyone could expect in those conditions. You got him to shore as quickly as you could, which was 100% the right call.
You'd be amazed at how many people when faced with that kind of situation, will just blank, and not act all. Not out of unkindess, but out of shock, they just don't believe its real. We're fortunate to have people like you out on the water, you did an excellent job, even though things didn't work out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: