myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Fatality @ Dougs
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
washy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: Fatality @ Dougs Reply with quote

While kiters can still get in a lot of trouble from hypothermia, what seems to be most deadly is getting knocked unconscious and thereby drowning. Kiters dont have large heavy stiff carbon "bats" flying around their head in a wipeout like Wsurfers do. Having had my bell rung a couple times and with children depending on me now I wear the helmet whenever I am planing, doesnt feel right not to, even in hawaii when I look like a dork. Helmets have been accepted as "cool" or at least not dorky on the mountain, it is just starting to swing that way on the water now too I think.

As someone that has to do CPR on someone 2-3x/yr, I can say that Scott, you did all that you could possibly do. If he was that separated from his rig he was probably lost (>4min) before you even found him, and there is no way you could do effective CPR on the water unless you have a 150+L board and calm water. Unless it is a witnessed event (not just found unconscious) the outcome is rarely positive. My condolences to the family and thanks to the great effort you all put in to try and save him.
Chris
ddesler

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:51 pm    Post subject: Fatality at Dougs Reply with quote

Our thoughts and prayers go out to Damian's family and friends.

Scott ..thank you for your heroic and compassionate efforts. Let's all remember Scott's example and take action whenever there is a need.

dr wind
ducks007

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:14 pm    Post subject: media coverage Reply with quote

I'm amazed there was no media mention of this incident outside of iwindsurf. Most sporting deaths are immediately picked up by the media. Was this tragedy kept quiet because of the Gorge Games or is this normal? Even local expert Isobars thought this was the first WS death in the Gorge.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far no one has said otherwise. Considering the man-days WSers have put in on the Columbia, that's very impressive.

Mike \m/
bjamin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A local and experienced windsurfer, Janet Nelson, died last year sailing at Mosier. She was not wearing a helmet and most likely got knocked on the head and drowned.

I recall that another lady. also an experienced windsurfer, died in Oahu a few years back, probably also a knock out followed by drowning.

This spring Mark Estes died from apparent heart failure at the Wall while windsurfing, though he was on the beach and not sailing when he died.

There has been no media reporting of this most recent tragedy AFAICT.

Is it confirmed that Damian did in fact crash trying a forward or back (did anyone actually see the crash) or is that just rumor? I ask because from my experince I don't think forwards are likely to throw you onto your gear, or vice versa. Personally I believe forwards are a relatively safe trick (contrary to what most people who don't try them believe). I think back/push loops have more injury and gear breakage potential.
srr37

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.katu.com/news/25760334.html
The Oregonian might do a story also, and
Damien's dad got my number from the sheriff and called me on sat. and later emailed me with this:
-------------------------------------------------------------------
>Hi Scott, thanx so very, very much for all you did to try and help to save our beloved son, Damien. And for the info on Iwindsurf.com. Damien was a loving, caring most non-judgemental person I know. Please tell all the boarders that Jeannette, Heather(Damien,s sister) and I appreciate you and Phill and Dr. Cheng and all the nice comments on the web. This is the hardest thing we've ever could imagine, and all the support really helps all of us.
...hope to meet you, love Hank and Jeannette

>Hank Winters PhD

Last edited by srr37 on Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:57 pm; edited 3 times in total
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:54 pm    Post subject: How the lights go out. Reply with quote

Damian was always good and kind to me. So was Mark, who died earlier this year. Both deaths are a pity. Bringing Damian to shore and trying to revive him was heroic, even if it was in vain. We must take something good from all this.

You don't have to be doing an extreme aerial maneuver to get your lights knocked out! You don't even have to hit your gear. Anybody who has waterskied, wakeboarded, or jumped off a diving board knows this: water can be a HARD object at speed or altitude; it only takes about 10'! Even the classic windsurfing "catapult" can leave you stunned in the water.

A lifejacket will keep your mouth above water, even if you're unconscious. A helmet will reduce the risk of concussion.

Always use the buddy system with scary water sports. This includes windsurfing, surfing, backcountry ski and snowboard, kiteboarding, etc. Nobody can breath liquid water or snow. Therefore, remember! You are always inches from death. If you are injured (or not) and trying to save yourself from drowning, you're heart is going to race and a heart attack becomes more possible. Once you're hurt and down, cold will suck the life out of you. Even in July. Think of water as a Great Smothering Vampire.

When you're windsurfing, keep your eyes open and look around from time to time. Don't just go a "blasting" with blinders on. If someone looks like they MIGHT need help or if something looks unusual, go check it out and offer help. Assume nobody else will.
AFriend

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not a windsurfer. I knew Damian for over 12 years and he was one of my best friends and like a brother. We went alot of places and did alot of things together over the years. He was and is a GREAT person and will truly be missed. Thanks to all for the kind comments about my friend.

--Josh--
AFriend

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anybody would like to they can light a candle for him here.

We started a candle group just for Damian called DLW , those are his initials.

http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/view.cfm?l=eng&c=6393596

--Josh--
pabloson

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott,

I'm a professional mental health counselor. Posting your story in order to help yourself heal from this traumatic event was a good idea. Keep de-briefing with folks. If, in a couple of weeks, you are experiencing difficulties (nightmares, flashbacks, avoiding sailing, depression, etc...) please get in touch with me or another professional. No charge, of course, in appreciation of your amazing effort to help Damien. I sail at Rugs all the time and I know how difficult it must have been for you in 3.7 conditions. Just google me (White Salmon Counseling) if you need to get in touch.

Everybody who knows Scott, keep an eye on him.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: