myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Lake Champlain question again.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
-=koLLac=-

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:07 am    Post subject: Lake Champlain question again. Reply with quote

other than tm00, is there anyone else who resides on the VT side of the lake on here?

I am wondering where you guys sail since I have not seen anyone (well...1 guy) sail at the only place I've been so far this summer.

What are good places (on the VT side) for when it's really blowing? I went to the south side of the Sandbar but the weeds are horrible there.

I know the Plattsburgh beach and Point au Roche on the NY side are good places but I don't feel like taking the ferry over every time I want to sail.

Thanks
asiat

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aside from 2 Sundays ago, the wind has been pretty much crap recently so that probably is why you haven't seen many people out. The best places near Burlington on a south wind are Sandbar and White's beach. The weeds are horrible at Sandbar in the summer so you must get a weedfin. The weeds are not as bad at White's but in the summer they are still bad enough that it is worth the investment. The only time you won't need one is if you are running a fin 10 inches (25 cm) or smaller and you are fully powered so you are able to jump and shake them off.
davey2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:21 pm    Post subject: Lake Champlain question again Reply with quote

Here's a link to the © Adirondack Boardsailing Club, Inc., 2004
Northern Lake Champlain sailing sites
http://home.earthlink.net/~abcsail/siteguide/champlainnorth_list.html
lackofwind

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

South Hero. Ask when you get there, most people remember the windsurfers.
-=koLLac=-

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow...some of you have been members for quite a while and have definitely not posted much. I'm surprised I even got noticed here.

Either way, I read up on the ABCsail's instructions and it seems to me that I will not have access to White's Beach. I was wondering how the parking situation was there now (4 years after the article) as well as whether the Apple Tree partner ever got anything going in terms of a windsurfing gear dealership.

I'm not good at windsurfing at all and my equipment is antiquated at best, but if you see me tooling around on (most likely with a 5.0 ezzy super G from who knows when...the one sail that is in good shape that I own) say hello. I'm still learning so the 5.0 is realatively sufficient especially with the tubby old fungun that I use 99% of the time. Maybe if I get some sort of a bonus at year end (not really likely) I'll invest in like a 110-120 liter board that I don't have the be ashamed for
jeffc4

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

asiat hit it on the head in all respects, including the recent lack of wind. Also, when the wind is out of the north you will see a lot of people paying to park and sail inside the state park at Sandar. It does seem though that there aren't as many people sailing as there were 10 years ago.
vadler

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you feel your skill level isn't high, then get the weed fin and sail either side of the Sandbar. There are definitely other places on the lake to sail, but they are not as user friendly. For instance, if the wind shuts down without notice, as it can on Lake Champlain, you might be in for a swim with your gear in 55 degree water, a hike across a deserted island, a 5-meter cliff dive, a swim across a channel, and a three-mile walk back to your car. You will then have to ask a friend to motorboat you back to the island to get your stuff. Ask Asiat, he knows from experience!
tm00

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vadler wrote:
If you feel your skill level isn't high, then get the weed fin and sail either side of the Sandbar. There are definitely other places on the lake to sail, but they are not as user friendly. For instance, if the wind shuts down without notice, as it can on Lake Champlain, you might be in for a swim with your gear in 55 degree water, a hike across a deserted island, a 5-meter cliff dive, a swim across a channel, and a three-mile walk back to your car. You will then have to ask a friend to motorboat you back to the island to get your stuff. Ask Asiat, he knows from experience!

Or walking out from the end of Long Point wearing a dry suit and carry gear.
tm00

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vadler wrote:

Or walking out from the end of Long Point wearing a dry suit and carry gear.
rsenior

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:51 pm    Post subject: best place for begginers, intermediate and expert Reply with quote

To Kollac,

Sandbar is great for all levels. Especially good for beginners as water is about chest high all the way to other side. Sandy bottom. Yes there are plenty of weeds but only for first hundred yards out of launch area. After that pretty clear.

Experts like it because it is such a great place to park, rig and launch. They will sail upwind to just past the point and then stay out for hours. I have been windsurfing from Sandbar for over 15 years. Rarely dissapointed. When it's a rare northwind, i just go over to the park on the other side of the cuasway and sail from there.

I sailed there yesterday (skunked) but the water was warm and it is always good to get on the board.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: