myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Sherman Island Accident
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spanker_jeep

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too funny,
Kiters can be comical in so many heartwarming ways.
vive

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnl wrote:

I also noticed quite a few kiters from the sandbar working upriver into the "windsurfing area". But most of them seemed experienced.

That would be downriver, I think you mean upwind...
And there are no "windsurfing areas" in the upwind of the sandbar, the river's open to all.
vive

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnl wrote:

I also noticed quite a few kiters from the sandbar working upriver into the "windsurfing area". But most of them seemed experienced.

That would be downriver, I think you mean upwind...
And there are no "windsurfing areas" in the upwind of the sandbar, the river's open to all.
johnl

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mistake, yes, upwind. And yes the river is open to all, BUT as everybody on this board (but you I guess) knows, the kiters and the windsurfers tend to launch at different locations and tend not to mix very well. When they do mix, we tend to have long discussions such as you might see on this board. And the majority of sailors tend to stay in the area that they launched from. So common (although lately it isn't really common) sense says that if there is an area that is a windsurfing launch area then if kiteboarders sail into and hang out in that area, there will be conflict or at least comments.

My personal feelings are if there are just a few and their skill level is high, then normally (if the windsurfing area isn't packed) they tend to mix okay. But make it crowded, or drop the skill level of either group, and you have problems.
beallmd

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be worth pointing out that windsurfing in it's early years had many poor sailers who were dangerous, overestimated their abilities and often acted like jerks-did dangerous things to show off etc. Along the way those idiots mostly left our sport, leaving the mellow friendly old white haired wrinkled guys as Paris would call us. Now windsurfers are friendly, considerate, relatively safe and realistic about our abilities but this was not always true, was it? Hopefully Kiting will progress in the same way.
Epenrose

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isobars.

What a terrible thing to do.

I can't imagine why anyone would think why someone would cast an assumption on kiters shorts just because:

1. They spend a lot of time shopping, hmmm

2. Shop for pretty color shorts, hmmm

3. Match shorts to pretty color kite, hmmm

4. Just for the purpose of accessorizing a wetsuit for no reason but the aesthetic, double hmmm.

5. Leaves only only two conclusions. 1. The accessories part, hello 2. Hiding NO bulge. If you have it flaunt it, obviously not in this case.

Hope he recovers quickly, good to know he got quick attention. Wink
jamba

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Northern California forum needs more spice. I don't know what makes our forum so stale and civilized. Look at how much fun the guys in Leo are having. If we only had a few more like Epenrose, the fun would never stop here as well...
pshaw

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:03 pm    Post subject: Anyone know the current status of the injured kiter? Reply with quote

The last posting was that he was now conscious but still paralyzed on one side. What is his status?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: