myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Ok, so who was the freaking nut case...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
koogzah

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:11 am    Post subject: Ok, so who was the freaking nut case... Reply with quote

...who sailed TI alone on the flood this afternoon?!?

Oh, wait... It was me.

http://www.vimeo.com/1420608
chibichibi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you're an animal. i almost went to TI today but saw that flood coming at 5pm. nice video work, always appreciate you posting your sessions. a few questions: so what time were you out at TI today? how much do you weigh? it looked smooth for TI. so how is the access on northpoint, where do you rig/park? looks like you cut through someone's yard??
theq

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:56 am    Post subject: Dang, that was cool! Reply with quote

Great video. Even though it's been a long time since we had any decent wind down here in the horse latitudes, the feeling came back to me.
If I didn't have one really good client, who I could lose to the hungry wolves if I leave for a day, I'd be up there. I need a good session. We're all wind-wanton down here in So. Cal.
BTW: Would you mind posting about the type of camera setup you're using, what it cost, etc. I'd really love to have one. If not, a PM would be nice. I'm going to save your video, as it really does help reconnect to "the feeling". Good job. Thanks again.
koogzah

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@chibi I was out about 4:15-6:00. I weigh too much. The low-res video makes the water look deceptively smooth - it wasn't. Access off Northpoint is not bad for launching, but the take out would be nasty - see other threads where it is discussed. I took out at 13th yesterday and walked back.

@theq I feel your pain. I used to live in LA and tried to sail Leo. 20kts was a huge day there... Here is the camera I'm using:
http://www.goprocamera.com/
I have a cheap wide angle lens taped on as the standard FOV is a bit narrow.
Jrobb

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the "Aghh!" at the end of the vid.
My blown jibes end that way too usually followed by a few NC-17 comments Confused

J
andydavis

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great video! Is that a barefoot launch? How 'bout getting back in?
koogzah

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@andydavis I think you could probably launch near high tide in bare feet, but I always wear booties. I don't think taking out at this launch is advised, especially if you are solo. The waves rolling in there could really beat up you and your gear. I took out at the 13th Street water treatment plant yesterday.
beallmd

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I particularly like the sounds you make; the "ooh" as you go down the wave face and the blown gybe was good also-don't we all... Yesterday it was very windy at Washoe; built to 3.7 conditions finally. I sailed as long as I could on a 5.6 until it became ridiculous-'cause at Washoe you never know when it's going to die-like for instance while you're rerigging. Anyway sailed by a buddy and yelled; "looking for a hole to gybe". Luckily found one a short time later. Another favorite verbal is when you 'survive' a huge gust-always brings a whoop out of me-is that what you did on your first gybe?
NickyK

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:58 am    Post subject: Awesome Reply with quote

Great video and thanks for sharing... also thanks for the jibing tips and hand positioning. The sound effects, very helpful indeed! Smile

Nicky
koogzah

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Awesome Reply with quote

nickyr wrote:
also thanks for the jibing tips and hand positioning. The sound effects, very helpful indeed! Smile

Nicky

Yes, I do indeed suck. Completely self-taught and it shows. Any constructive criticism would be very much appreciated.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: