myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Move Gorge Games to June.. keep our beaches open
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
billgfc

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: Move Gorge Games to June.. keep our beaches open Reply with quote

The Gorge Games need to be moved to between the 10 th of June and the 28th. The longest running event in the early Gorge in June was The High Wind Classic. It was always held the third week and never got skunked. Also water is way better for kayaking and area business is slow. other events can follow suit.

This year's games closed the key Hood River beaches for four days! Prime season for windsurfing is from early July through mid August. This is akin to shutting most of a ski area down over Christmas , Washington's Birthday and the month of March.

There is a reason why the X Games , THE most successful multi sport event is held in Aspen in late Jan when room and visits are slow, same for Winter Olympics usually early February.. It is also noted Vail hosted the TEVA Games, a Gorge Game type event the week after Memorial Day in early June. This event affects previous Gorge Games sponsorships!

Hold the Gorge Games in June. The community is not so busy , extra visitors come to town. The net cash effect on local business is far greater with the Games in June and keeping our beaches open to all in July.

The press coverage would be far greater and TV rights will sell. There is nothing going on in June nationally, in major sports as NBA season over and Baseball just picking up steam.

In July, every little sport has an event looking for sponsors and press. besides , many consumers are out of town on vacation or participating.

I would suggest letting the Port of Hood River and the City know how you feel before they sell out our beach space in prime season again.

I would also suggest public hears with the port and the city so all can air view.

Large events like the Gorge Games a fun, but they need not be held in July and August when beaches are packed.

The event would get far more community support if held when we are not at our insanely busy time. More worldwide exposure would result as the sports press has little to cover in June and everything to cover in July

The result is win win for the community and the organizers.

Port of Hood River: porthr@gorge.net http://www.portofhoodriver.com/
City of hood River: http://www.ci.hood-river.or.us/
andymc4610

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pro/ Am was in July. There are more windy days in July than june and wind is better in HR. I don't what HR beaches are indispensable (go to the hook, hatch, cheap, swell, dougs, rowena or elsewhere. I sailed that friday and monday (at the hatch) did not even notice the Gorge Games effect on the river.
pacspeed

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with Bill. It's not just the beaches that are packed....parking spaces, restaurants, supermarkets, campgrounds...all of these don't need any help filling up in July, but could use a boost in June, and it would definitely be easier on the residnets of HR.

Other bonuses besides the Kayaking: more current = bigger swell, more moisture = better mt biking, anyone else?
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Moving the Gorge Games earlier is an idea worth exploring Reply with quote

Bill has some really good ideas and rationales. These are worth exploring. He's right about the community being able to handle the Games earlier in the Summer. For sure, the mountain biking, adventure racing, and kayaking would be of higher quality and more enjoyable (especially with cooler temperatures).

It's easy to find flaws in any proposal, a la Andy Mc. Why not compare all the aspects side by side with the current structure to find out which one is really the best?
GarryW

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about having to pay to watch events and scheduling the headline act Storm Large and The Balls on Sunday night? Also it was difficult to find out about event results and they had no phone number you could call to find out any info about the games.
boarder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Move to June. Everyone wins. JB Razz
billgfc

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all

The first Pro Am was held here in 1984. The dates the first two or three years were June 10 to June 20. We always had wind in that period. All events ran to completion.

The press reaction was great, partially because windsurfing was a new sport here , but a major factor was that other sports, especially outdoor sports are slow with events in June. Thus we got all sorts of coverage in the press here in US and worldwide, partially because they needed stories.

In july everyone is busy with family and vacation. The Gorge is sold out

Wen the Pro Am moved to June it lasted just two more years, typicall dates were about July 5 to 12. One year we we were almost totally skunked, next year not much better. The Pro Am died.

At times early July brings little wind , after the 10th always, Just as the 3rd wk of june was always positive for wind.

The rental/ school fleet at Hood River WS rented at 15% when the Pro am was in June, then in July 85% when all beaches open

When the Pro Am shifted to July 5+ , board rentals dropped to 5% June 10 to 20 and then plummeted from 85 to 25% July 5+.
that is a serious economic impact in net cash for business.

We need more business in the community is wind sports in May and June. We are overbooked forever in July, Aug. Why close our beaches to the paying public?

I might add the Goprge Cup , and upcoming FE competitions do not close beaches, same as for other events like the bike event last weekend.
andymc4610

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heaven forbid you see it a different way. My problem with the idea is july and august are busy...so moving stuff to june will just make that month, that more busy. I do like the soul sessions in april / may/ June.

But it does not really matter, it's going to get busier every year, most activites are getting more popular in the gorge. tourist are staying domestic because of the week dollar, population moving west and from cali. PDX population is going to double again in less than 20 years, growth will spill out.
ericandholly

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay--here goes and I may make some folks grouchy. I was not at all into the Gorge Games this year. Charging to watch events at the Event Site, putting up 400 miles of $^#@^ orange fencing, having the windsurfing freestyle event in perhaps the worst spot for that kind of event, charging for parking, rude folks at the gate.

I could go on, but won't,

In comparison, the Bridge of The Gods was just EPIC!! And no, not because it was kites, and not sails, but because it was so well organized, FUN, and very inviting to both participants and spectators. It was truly a Gorge event with an excellent vibe.

The Gorge Games in comparison reminded me of a Bill Graham Presents concert of the 80's. No thanks. Take your act to LA, and bring your orange fencing with you.
ducks007

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>tourist are staying domestic because of the week dollar, population >moving west and from cali.
>PDX population is going to double again in less than 20 years

#1) they've been saying that for the last 20 years.

#2) There were more windsurfers and more people in the water in the 1980s. Growth on the water, if any, will be in kiting for the reasons you mentioned; especially the ability to drive a small hybrid car without racks.

My first post here was about access, but learned it's almost impossible to get new sites. So just expect more crowding by more kites (which take up more room) unless the kiting community can get new sites. PS: A new site does not involve running across I-84 to get around the no-parking signs on the other side! Razz

So yeah, move the GG to June and stop the overcrowding during prime time; Sounds like a good idea.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: