myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
drifting kite rescued at dougs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
k2maxis

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:26 pm    Post subject: drifting kite rescued at dougs Reply with quote

yesterday (sunday 7/27) I found a Best kite drifting through 50+ windsurfers at Doug's. I deflated the kite and with some effort and swimming got it back to shore. I went back out sailing and when i returned it had been picked up off the beach. I hope it got back to the original owner, and he or she is okay?
jsjones_sf

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure I know the kite you are talking about. A guy put a kite up at Rowena and immediately lost it.

If it's the incident I watched, the individual in question exercised bad judgment in both his choice of launch location as well as his preflight inspection (kite leash).

It appeared to me like the person launching the kite came unhooked, which powered the kite up completely, pulling him into the water. His kite leash was not attached, and he lost the kite. No one was hurt, although the only reason for this was either dumb luck or total athleticism. Not knowing the guy I can't comment beyond that I'm just glad he was OK.

PM me here or on nwkite.com under "jsj" if you want to confirm the kite type.

Regards

John

P.S. kudos to the windsurf community for people grabbing the gear and asking about the people involved.
4rest

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is some more info from NWKite.

http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-9792.html

humbled kook wrote:
Thanks to all who expressed concern about my stupid manuver. I would buy beers for all who had to witness it however wearing a ski mask to a bar is not allowed.
Thanks to the person who grabbed the kite. Owe you several cold ones.
Kite boarding should not get a bad name, so relax, I am a windsurfer who knew better and should have had more respect for the conditions. I should get the bad name. Embarassed Embarassed I understand why you guys like the sport, You can get a lot of air!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: