myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Things that make you go hmmm...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mik377

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:42 pm    Post subject: Things that make you go hmmm... Reply with quote

Any one want to share an observation of something you've seen on the water that just blew your mind because it defied any rational explanation or logic, and made you shake your head and go hmmm...?
Here's some from Stevenson from the past week:
1)Two guys in a Ranger bass boat who were going about 50 mph came screaming to a halt right before hitting me as I was slogging across in variable winds. I was the other only vessel on the water for a mile and I had a 6.5 bright (safety? orange) sail on.
2) A 30 foot cabin cruiser heading downriver charged through a gaggle of kiters and then through herd of slogging windsurfers at 40 knots, just fifty yards off Bob's Beach without a hint of slowing down.
3) As the Columbia Queen was disembarking the dock (known by the undoing of the lines by her crew, the sounding of her horn several times prior to her leaving port, and oh yeah - the churning of her 20' diameter paddlewheel) I watched from the Oregon side as a wser on a blue real wind and red ezzy (surprisingly) proceeded to sail all the way back across the river, stall out and then drop a few feet from the Queen's bow. The Queen had to pivot right on her axis to avoid hitting him (luckily, they had a lookout on the bow with a walkie).
Hmmm.
flyskiwindsurf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too many people in the first two situations are paying more attention to their drinking than their surroundings, navigation, obstacles, etc. Maybe the same could be said for the third situation. Of course just plain stupidity (possibly momentary) is ALWAYS something to be considered. Rolling Eyes
andymc4610

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This Sunday on a 3.7 day at rowena a 25ft like cigarette boat plowed through WS turned around and came back and did it again. the boat also took a full reach at one point. From then on I sailed down to Doug's West, I miss that spot.
johnmartin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big yellow air tanker dipping down for a fill-up 100 yards upwind of ~30 sailors at Mosier. The 4-5 miles of water downstream apparently was not wet enough.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: